Azura - Norovirus and the celebrated bad smell

Harry Peterson

According to Facebook earlier this afternoon:

"We were advised last night we have norovirus on the ship, personal hygiene so important, not sure how many affected but buffet is on service only and dining room was packed and slow this morning, lots of cleaning for last couple of days... Stay healthy peeps"

Also a lot of discussion about the celebrated bad smell:

"The Azura still has bad smell.. Been reporting it but just getting fobbed off.. As in another post there is supposed to be around 600 affected with norovirus (informed by crew member)"

That bad smell has been going on for months, probably longer - unresolved despite all the complaints. People are beginning to link the two problems - perhaps unfairly, but who knows?

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

According to Facebook earlier this afternoon:

"We were advised last night we have norovirus on the ship, personal hygiene so important, not sure how many affected but buffet is on service only and dining room was packed and slow this morning, lots of cleaning for last couple of days... Stay healthy peeps"

Also a lot of discussion about the celebrated bad smell:

"The Azura still has bad smell.. Been reporting it but just getting fobbed off.. As in another post there is supposed to be around 600 affected with norovirus (informed by crew member)"

That bad smell has been going on for months, probably longer - unresolved despite all the complaints. People are beginning to link the two problems - perhaps unfairly, but who knows?

Private Frazer strikes again!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's not surprising really nor just down to Azura. I have just had it and it comes on suddenly, so no warning to stay away from other people.

"In England, the following counties have had reports of norovirus:

Bristol

Cheshire

Cornwall

Devon

Greater London

Greater Manchester

Lancashire

Lincolnshire

Nottinghamshire

Staffordshire

Tyne and Wear

Warwickshire

Yorkshire

Last week, a number of people were reported falling ill after attending a Lego brick show in Bristol. Schools, hospitals and businesses in the read have also been affected.

In Cheshire, Crewe’s Leighton Hospital closed two of its wards to visitors and admissions after some patients had the illness.

Royal Cornwall Hospital was forced to close a ward at the beginning of the month after an outbreak of norovirus.

North Devon District Hospital was on “red alert” and closed a ward in the first week of November."

I hope you’ve fully recovered. Nasty thing to have.

True, though. It’s popping up everywhere. Particularly unpleasant, and particularly easily spread on a cruise ship, especially when proper precautions aren’t enforced - though since handwashing is the only effective way to do that (gels aren’t effective) I’m not sure how you do that.

Great we fly out tommorrow 😂

Wouldn’t be so bad if it was a complete disembark, so a complete deep clean could be done.

But unfortunately on Azura people are flying out and home over the Friday and Saturday !!

Oh well will stick to bottles of Becks and crisps for the first couple of days 😁

3 hours ago, reece.twigg-white said:

Hey Mick,

We fly out on Saturday, what a fab start to the holiday haha!!!!

oh well I am sure it will all be ok!

Lol hope so !!

sent the missus out to get some dettol spray and wipes for what good it may do 😂

Then going to check with the cabin steward if the last occupants had the virus.

Then will send her into the cabin for a quick wipe down whilst I’m having a beer, no point risking both of us 😁😁

• Haha 1

They don’t need to tell you, you can usually tell by the smell of chemicals everywhere. If they do a deep clean then the smell still lingers a bit and some of the soft furnishings can still be a tiny bit damp.

On the bright side if you do get “the smell” then the cabin has been given a very good clean as opposed to those who did not know they had the dreaded or did not report the issue and left behind their germs as a parting gift.

I try not to worry about it all too much, you could pick it up from a supermarket trolley just as easily as on a cruise ship. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 6:00 AM, Harry Peterson said:

No photo description available.

Thanks.

Every cruise we go on people are asked to wash their hands before going into the buffet but a lot of people just walk in and ignore the crew members requests.

Edited by grapau27

On 11/28/2019 at 7:52 AM, Harry Peterson said:

I hope you’ve fully recovered. Nasty thing to have.

True, though. It’s popping up everywhere. Particularly unpleasant, and particularly easily spread on a cruise ship, especially when proper precautions aren’t enforced - though since handwashing is the only effective way to do that (gels aren’t effective) I’m not sure how you do that.

Just got off Grand Princess and there are 2 wash basins at every entrance to the Horizon Court buffet.

There was a crew member at each entrance asking people to wash their hands but quite a few just walked in.

Crew always thanked us for washing our hands and said they can't force passengers to wash their hands.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Just got off Grand Princess and there are 2 wash basins at every entrance to the Horizon Court buffet.

There was a crew member at each entrance asking people to wash their hands but quite a few just walked in.

Crew always thanked us for washing our hands and said they can't force passengers to wash their hands.

Trying to get my head round the logistics of this. If everybody stopped to wash their hands wouldn't there just be a massive queue? 

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Which is the same as Britannia as they are the same ship.

1 hour ago, newbie cruissy said:

Trying to get my head round the logistics of this. If everybody stopped to wash their hands wouldn't there just be a massive queue? 

No there are 4 entrances so that’s 8 sinks.

1 hour ago, newbie cruissy said:

No.

The buffet is open all day.

Only takes 20 seconds to wash your hands.