Easy access getting into Beach

RockinJ

Which beach has the easiest access going into the water?  Some have a steep drop.  

I would like a nice beach without a steep drop, chair rental, place to get drinks and lunch.  Close enough to the cruise ship.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 6:31 AM, RockinJ said:

Which beach has the easiest access going into the water?  Some have a steep drop.  

I would like a nice beach without a steep drop, chair rental, place to get drinks and lunch.  Close enough to the cruise ship.

The perfect place for your requirements is Catherine's.  Since the takeover, food and drinks have improved immensely, but it is not "close" to the quay. If it suits (a discerning cruiser) then book your lunch/day in advance as beds are limited.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

Unfortunately this is a big problem at many Antigua beaches. I have yet to find one without a drop off but would love to find one.

Try the beach before the Bluff at Curtain Bluff.  Think you'll enjoy it, and your day there.

5 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

Is there a place to rent chairs and umbrellas? Where would I ask the taxi to drop me off? Thanks

Book you AI day pass in advance, and the taxi driver will drop you off at reception to check in.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:31 AM, RockinJ said:

Beach Limerz...great bar/restaurant...lovely beach without a drop-off... for information about taxi, chairs, menu, contact Gail at info@beachlimerz.com. Tell Jim and Toni recommended you contact her..it will make her smile.

Here is a link  for our youtube video of our day there in November 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3hDO6YYgI

Darkwood Beach had the worst drop off I'd ever seen.  We had to change beaches.  They are all gorgeous but especially in the winter they seem to have a more exaggerated drop off.  Perhaps because it's so windy in January

On 1/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, existentialtraveler said:

Beach Limerz...great bar/restaurant...lovely beach without a drop-off... for information about taxi, chairs, menu, contact Gail at info@beachlimerz.com. Tell Jim and Toni recommended you contact her..it will make her smile.

Here is a link  for our youtube video of our day there in November 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3hDO6YYgI

Actually at times it can be quite rough. We saw a guy wipe out and break his nose and be carted away on an ambulance. Agree January is tough in Antigua.

I will describe the beach at Beach Limerz from early the second week in December.  The beach directly in front of the restaurant was not accessible.  The sand had been washed away uncovering the rocks.  According to the owners, this happens a couple of times a year and then it fills back in again.  

We walked maybe 200 hundred feet further north on a dirt road to access the beach which was beautiful.  There were gentle waves until mid afternoon at which time they became larger but manageable.  On entering and exiting the beach there was a slight soft sand drop off of about 6-8 inches.  Getting in was definitely not a problem.  Getting out, was basically like climbing up one step.  

It will possibly have less drop of than some other beaches but obviously there is no guarantee.   The staff and the facility are excellent as described.  Very peaceful.   

Went to Darkwood last January and did a lot of swimming, but the drop off was sharp ,but manageable for us. However, if it has gotten any worse it would be dangerous for many...we are looking to try something else this year with gradual entry into water...what is Jolly Beach/ harbor like...I hope I am correct about this beach name😉😉

On 1/12/2020 at 7:41 AM, aquidneck1 said:

I will describe the beach at Beach Limerz from early the second week in December.  The beach directly in front of the restaurant was not accessible.  The sand had been washed away uncovering the rocks.  According to the owners, this happens a couple of times a year and then it fills back in again.  

We walked maybe 200 hundred feet further north on a dirt road to access the beach which was beautiful.  There were gentle waves until mid afternoon at which time they became larger but manageable.  On entering and exiting the beach there was a slight soft sand drop off of about 6-8 inches.  Getting in was definitely not a problem.  Getting out, was basically like climbing up one step.  

It will possibly have less drop of than some other beaches but obviously there is no guarantee.   The staff and the facility are excellent as described.  Very peaceful.   

So would you recommend Beach Limerz?

Yes, I would recommend it.  We had a lovely day there.  We may decide to try another one next year but I would not hesitate to book it again.  Also, you could contact Gail a few days before to see the status of the beach that is directly in front of the property.