Nuku Hiva Suggestions

eng58

We'll also be there on Oceania in April.

Have been to Nuku Hiva twice before and while the island resembles Kauai in some ways there is still not a lot to do. No reef so no snorkeling. We took a 4x4 tour of the part of the island that is accessible from the port. Gorgeous views, pretty drive, sacred site visit. But it's not something I'd do again. Temarama Tours is who we used and the price was much better than the ships tour which sounded almost identical. A big problem with the tour. Richard Deane is a wonderful island guide and historian but there are at least 10 cars in a caravan of 4x4's. At stops we missed half of what Richard was explaining. Our driver spoke French so no help there. But since there is not a lot else to do it's a worthy trip. 75USD

We're going to walk the 1/2 to 1 mile from the small port town to a beach that is not highly recommended but just something different.

Temarama Tours. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294344-d2641794-Reviews-Temarama_Tour-Nuku_Hiva_Marquesas_Islands.html

temarama.tour@hotmail.fr

Limited service in Nuku Hiva so may be awhile before you hear back.

It is a stunning island...if one gets beyond the small harbor area. Nuku-HivaTours out of Yacht Services Office is about the only game in town for a good Tour; they have a Web-site. Then it's 'Up and Over' a mountain ridge to visit the Archeologic Ruins near HIATIHE'U. etc. Lunch afterwards at Yvonne's nearby is almost obligatory for lotsa people's 'Bucket List'. Cruise lines don't offer it because it involves JEEP or LandRover 4WD's to get there...thus they can't be bothered methinks. One of my favorite places on the Planet.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:54 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

It is a stunning island...if one gets beyond the small harbor area. Nuku-HivaTours out of Yacht Services Office is about the only game in town for a good Tour; they have a Web-site. Then it's 'Up and Over' a mountain ridge to visit the Archeologic Ruins near HIATIHE'U. etc. Lunch afterwards at Yvonne's nearby is almost obligatory for lotsa people's 'Bucket List'. Cruise lines don't offer it because it involves JEEP or LandRover 4WD's to get there...thus they can't be bothered methinks. One of my favorite places on the Planet.

It's interesting the different perspectives we all have. Temarama did the same tour and we found it just ok but worthwhile. But all we like to do is be in the water snorkeling so we're probably prejudiced against sightseeing. Were you referring to the archeological ruins, Hikokua? Not familiar with Hiatihe'u. Our cruise did offer the same tour via 4x4 just for a lot more $. Good to hear that you enjoyed your tour 🙂

On 11/30/2019 at 7:54 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

thanks something to look into, still not sure what we will do!

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

It's interesting the different perspectives we all have. Temarama did the same tour and we found it just ok but worthwhile. But all we like to do is be in the water snorkeling so we're probably prejudiced against sightseeing. Were you referring to the archeological ruins, Hikokua? Not familiar with Hiatihe'u. Our cruise did offer the same tour via 4x4 just for a lot more $. Good to hear that you enjoyed your tour 🙂

Thanks Petoonya, still not sure what we will do, we also may just go for a walk.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Nuku Hiva several years ago on HAL, and did a tour similar to the one listed by LocoLoco1, but a few caveats...

The dock (unless they have a new one) is a tad hard to deal with.  When we tendered in, there was a huge jump from the side of the tender to the pier.  Although they discouraged those with mobility issues from attempting it, there were quite a few folks who still came across and it caused a major delay in getting from the ship to land.  Not good for those of us who booked independent tours.  My group didn't all get ashore until about 2 hours past our supposed start time.  

We cancelled the lunch at Yvonne's so we could explore the island.  It is truly a gorgeous place, and we are glad we just toured instead.  We went to a copra production farm, several ruins, and we did stop at the beach in front of Yvonne's.  Get out of the port if you can, but it isn't that easy as guides there are at a premium. I actually blew my knee out on the island, but that just meant a first class ticket home from San Diego, courtesy of my travel insurance.

Edited by Nanner

On 11/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, eng58 said:

We will be in Nuku Hiva in March of this year on an Oceania cruise.

Looking for any suggestions of things to do, is there much to see at the port?

We have been to Nuku Hiva twice and enjoyed both visits very much. We did Temarama Tours the first time, explored the beautiful island and had no issues tendering nor docking.I recommend reading “Typee,”  by Herman Melville before you go. You will see the Taipei valley he visited and the location of the story. The second visit we toured with Nuku-Hiva Tours and were able to visit additional archeological sites, one of which had 3 original tikis, petroglyphs and were able to enjoy a light lunch at Yvonne’s. The Norte Dame Cathedral, Taiohae is also worth a visit and the hand carved wood crafts are the best in this part of the South Pacific. Getting out of the port to enjoy the natural beauty and archeological sites is a must IMO.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2019 at 10:55 AM, Petoonya said:

We'll also be there on Oceania in April.

Have been to Nuku Hiva twice before and while the island resembles Kauai in some ways there is still not a lot to do. No reef so no snorkeling. We took a 4x4 tour of the part of the island that is accessible from the port. Gorgeous views, pretty drive, sacred site visit. But it's not something I'd do again. Temarama Tours is who we used and the price was much better than the ships tour which sounded almost identical. A big problem with the tour. Richard Deane is a wonderful island guide and historian but there are at least 10 cars in a caravan of 4x4's. At stops we missed half of what Richard was explaining. Our driver spoke French so no help there. But since there is not a lot else to do it's a worthy trip. 75USD

We're going to walk the 1/2 to 1 mile from the small port town to a beach that is not highly recommended but just something different.

Temarama Tours. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294344-d2641794-Reviews-Temarama_Tour-Nuku_Hiva_Marquesas_Islands.html

temarama.tour@hotmail.fr

Limited service in Nuku Hiva so may be awhile before you hear back.

what beach are you walking to? And why is it not recommended? Thank you !

8 hours ago, jake97 said:

what beach are you walking to? And why is it not recommended? Thank you !

Taiohae is the town you will tender to.There is a promenade and black sand  beaches supposed to be east and west of town about 1/4 mile. They are frequented by locals and while not the cleanest, and have murky water, they are described as picturesque. I’ve been to Taoihae and it’s cute, but haven’t visited these beaches so can’t vouch for this. Found while searching TripAdvisor.

Visiting again in April so remind me and I’ll let you know about it😁

Edited by Petoonya