Two cruise lines pledge to change practices that hurt Bermuda businesses

Charles4515

Some of those  of us who cruise know about this. I will be surprised if the cruise lines stop. It is their longstanding practice.  The port and shopping lecturers get a cut of all the business they bring to the shops they “favor”. 

http://www.royalgazette.com/politics/article/20191128/desilva-tackles-secret-shopper-questions

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I see nothing wrong with the port/shopping lecturers "pushing" the stores that advertise. That's how business works. 

Perhaps they need to do what is done in Alaska, which requires these people to advise ahead of time that they are not employed by the cruise line and that the stores they recommend have paid for advertising. 

14 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I see nothing wrong with the port/shopping lecturers "pushing" the stores that advertise. That's how business works. 

Perhaps they need to do what is done in Alaska, which requires these people to advise ahead of time that they are not employed by the cruise line and that the stores they recommend have paid for advertising. 

In Alaska the stores are not locally owned and the labor employed is not local. In Bermuda the stores are locally owned. Also I don’t think shops in Hamilton have closed because they lost business due to cruise lines pushing customers to certain shops. I think shops in Hamilton and St. George’s have closed do to the big drop in the number of cruise ships docking in Hamilton and St.George’s. I think the Ministers complete report is more interesting than the part of it that the Royal Gazette highlighted. The Bernews article I link to above has that. If I had read that article first I would have made that article the thread topic.  It is a long read though and may only be of interest to those of us who cruise to Bermuda often. 

Edited by Charles4515

That second article has much more information.

Regardless, the goal of the government is to make a cruise visitor's experience in Bermuda better. 

However, my opinion still stands regarding the advertising of stores. You need to pay to play. But I still would like to see the disclosure of the reps that they are paid by commission, just like I'm told they have to do in Alaska. 

Also, while Alaska has the same stores they have in the Caribbean (sometimes staffed by the same people), they do have some local places that also will advertise. Personally, I use the shopping guides as places of "not to go".

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the second article was good in that he acknowledged it wasn't really cheap or easy to do things in Bermuda. I have had both courteous and crabby bus drivers. I have waited 1/2 hour to buy transportation passes after waiting in a huge line. Then you miss the next ferry or bus or have to get at the end of a long line.  I have waited 1 and 1/2 hours to get into Crystal Caves. (You're not going to just leave after going all that way. Plus you have to wait for another bus anyway.) I've waited an hour at a bus stop after several full buses passed us by. I have heard residents complaining about tourists on the buses. Their complaints are valid, but it does make one feel uncomfortable. (all of this is after many trips to Bermuda and porting at Royal Dockyard. People stopping at Hamilton and St. George have easier logistics.) 

Shops in Hamilton on our last trip were basically devoid of people. I tried to buy at least something because I felt bad for them. I came home with lots of stationery and dish towels. But merchants can be crabby as well. I walked into one shop and was startled by the merchant asking me a question. I replied, 'what?' and she proceeded to give me a lecture on my poor manners and how I should have replied, 'pardon'. I just walked out, good luck to her.

I like Bermuda but it's not always easy, and it certainly isn't cheap. I think the secret shopper trip was a good idea.