Whisky distilleries I have known, parts one and two...

knotheadusc

Those of you who are interested in Hebridean's whisky cruises may want to have a look at these two posts I've written.  So far, my husband and I have been to 16 different distilleries, thanks to Hebridean Island Cruises.  We've been to two of those 16 distilleries twice!  I wrote these posts mainly because I live in a military community in Germany and a lot of Americans over here want to visit the distilleries while they have the chance. Since they're related to our cruises, maybe some of you will want to check them out, too.

Bear in mind, the first one was originally written in October 2017 for my original blog, which I have since moved.  

Part one  https://thetravelingovereducatedhousewife.blog/2017/10/15/whisky-distilleries-i-have-known/

Part two https://thetravelingovereducatedhousewife.blog/2019/11/29/whisky-distilleries-i-have-known-part-two/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 6:30 AM, knotheadusc said:

Those of you who are interested in Hebridean's whisky cruises may want to have a look at these two posts I've written.  So far, my husband and I have been to 16 different distilleries, thanks to Hebridean Island Cruises.  We've been to two of those 16 distilleries twice!  I wrote these posts mainly because I live in a military community in Germany and a lot of Americans over here want to visit the distilleries while they have the chance. Since they're related to our cruises, maybe some of you will want to check them out, too.

Bear in mind, the first one was originally written in October 2017 for my original blog, which I have since moved.  

Part one  https://thetravelingovereducatedhousewife.blog/2017/10/15/whisky-distilleries-i-have-known/

Part two https://thetravelingovereducatedhousewife.blog/2019/11/29/whisky-distilleries-i-have-known-part-two/

Although I'm more of a gin martini and Boubon Manhattan drinker, I was fascinated by your Hebridean whisky blogs. You're an uncommonly good writer and I hope you'll keep up both your "research" and your reports.

• Like 1

Thank you!  That comment makes my day!  Not everyone appreciates bloggers, so it's really nice to get a compliment like that one!  

Thank you so much for reading and for the praise!  And if you like your gin, Hebridean can definitely hook you up.  I'd rather drink gin myself.

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:30 AM, knotheadusc said:

Hi,
I enjoyed reading of your distillery visits.  Nicely written as well....

I live in Canada, but I am from Islay and would offer the following:

Ardnahoe distillery has begun production on Islay, adding to the many fine distilleries already there.  It is on the single track road to Bunnahabhain.

Feis Ile - the Islay Festival - takes place in May each year (except COVID years)....  It has morphed into a Whisky Festival, with distilleries producing special bottlings and providing entertainment and food.  The island gets overloaded with tourists for about 2 weeks.  Anyone planning to attend needs to book a year in advance.

Small thing...Laphroaig is not in Port Ellen.  There is a walking path that allows you to walk from Port Ellen and visit Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg.  Ardbeg's Visitor Center is very good. Lagavulin's Whisky is the best on the planet...:)

What else..Port Ellen distillery is planning to resume production after many years operating solely as a Malting processor.  Another distillery is being built between Port Ellen and Laphroaig.

Your advice on not driving is very sensible.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for reading and the extra information!

I long to go back to Scotland someday... when COVID-19 is no longer such a menace!  I would especially love to visit Islay and maybe stay there a week.  There are more distilleries to explore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

Thanks very much for reading and the extra information!

I long to go back to Scotland someday... when COVID-19 is no longer such a menace!  I would especially love to visit Islay and maybe stay there a week.  There are more distilleries to explore.

And there is much more than Uisge-Beatha on the island.  Celtic Crosses, standing stones, iron age forts.

Also the American Monument on the Oa and the graveyards of American sailors, a great many of whom perished when troop carriers sank off the Islay coast.

• Like 1

I seem to remember visiting a Celtic cross on Islay.  I’ll have to look and see where else we went.  The whisky made my memories a little fuzzy.

I actually went to Islay on a couple of different Hebridean cruises.  We went on one that included Northern Ireland, so we only hit one distillery on Islay that time.  I just remember thinking the scenery was so astonishing.  I saw a lot of wildlife, too.  And there’s nowhere else I feel more at home, either, even if I am technically American. 

• Like 1