HND to ATL, DTW or MSP

ncgolferette

Will be flying business class from Haneda back to Raleigh next October.  I have a choice of connecting at either of the three airports.  Connection time is about the same although one option is 1:45 through Atlanta which makes me leery.  Is one airport better than another to maneuver?  

DTW is probably my favorite American airport- bright and modern and built entirely for the 21st century. Haven't run the immigration gauntlet there but it's generally got a decent reputation in that regard.   ATL is easy to navigate if way too big. MSP is well-run, if a bit Escher-like in layout. IMO, Delta's got the least awful hub options in general of the Legacy 3. 

The question with the short connection in ATL is what the options are if you miss the first flight and if you're okay with having to get rebooked into main cabin for the short domestic segment if need be. If there are 3-4 more options to get you to your final destination that day and you're okay with getting rebooked into coach, then it's a more viable option than if you want domestic first only for that leg and/or you're trying to connect with the last flight of the day to Raleigh. 

One thing to remember on international itineraries:  You have 24 hours in which to make your connection, rather than the 4 hour window for domestic.  So even though an airline res computer may be showing you a short connection, you should try to see if you can get a longer connect - even if over 4 hours, it doesn't "break" the fare as it would with a domestic itinerary.

Since DL runs over a dozen ATL-RDU flights each day, you should be able to find something with a longer connect than 1:30.  Same rules also would apply at any other connection point.

Also, flying into ATL will give you more time in Delta One and less in domestic first.

One other consideration.  The MSP and DTW flights will be on the A350, while ATL is on a 777.  You may want to check out the differences in interior configuration to see if that might give one a preference.  Note that the 777 has two different interior configs - one with the new suites and the other with the old herringbone pods.  Big difference.

Personally I think returning to the US via DTW is easier, faster and friendlier than any other port of entry I know. In October the chances of bad weather affecting flights through there is unlikely. That said, ATL or MSP aren’t too bad either. But as Flyer Talk stated above I’d check out the difference in aircraft cabins and weigh that heavily into my decision as well. 

If it is ONLY based on the airport, I would choose DTW.  It is our home airport and we have returned there from international flights often.  Immigration and customs usually go very quickly, especially if you have Global Entry.  But, the aircraft is also important for a long flight.

I would also consider how many flights there are each day from each of those hubs to your home airport.  For me for example, there are at least 10 daily flights from ATL to my home airport, but only one or two a day from DTW. That would severely limit my options if I was connecting through DTW  and had a delay getting there. 

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

I would also consider how many flights there are each day from each of those hubs to your home airport.  For me for example, there are at least 10 daily flights from ATL to my home airport, but only one or two a day from DTW. That would severely limit my options if I was connecting through DTW  and had a delay getting there. 

This is kinda my thought too. Atlanta generally isn't too bad to clear immigration and is pretty well organized despite its size and how busy it is. Plus, the sheer number of ATL-RDU flights makes is a lot easier to catch one if you miss the first. 1h45 with business class should be okay at ATL, if (of course) the first flight is on time.