Nice jeans in terrace acceptable for dinner? Yes or no?

dcsam

As I pointed out on a different thread, on our Marina cruise a couple of weeks ago there was a guy right beside us in the GDR at dinner who was wearing a T shirt, non-formal jeans, and sneakers with no socks.

Then at dinner in Toscana there was a guy wearing a beer logo T shirt.

So my advice to those who don't want to dress up is - don't worry!  Wear whatever you want because there is no enforcement.  Heck, go to dinner in your bathrobe if that makes you happy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wcc19 said:

As I pointed out on a different thread, on our Marina cruise a couple of weeks ago there was a guy right beside us in the GDR at dinner who was wearing a T shirt, non-formal jeans, and sneakers with no socks.

Then at dinner in Toscana there was a guy wearing a beer logo T shirt.

So my advice to those who don't want to dress up is - don't worry!  Wear whatever you want because there is no enforcement.  Heck, go to dinner in your bathrobe if that makes you happy.

Heck, if someone wants to look like a slob it is on them.. Some people have no manners and do not care what other people think of them.. I will not let these kinds of people spoil my dinner.  

• Like 1

Enforcement of dress codes seems to be entirely left up to the individual venue hostess/ maitre de. As with any company, there are good employees that diligently perform their jobs and there are slackers. Some hostess are very diligent gate keepers and turn attempted code abusers away. Others are slackers.

I have, in the past, witnessed a hostess seat a cruiser blatantly abusing the code. I took the hostess name and the restaurant manager’s name, telling the hostess their lack of performance, by name, would be in both my mid cruise and final cruise report. I got a call from the F&B manager after the mid cruise report. Actions changed. He didn’t want that final report going to corporate naming names of the offenders and their lack of diligence. 

We are asked to identify those employees that go above and beyond for special recognition. When we witnessed employees not performing their assigned tasks, or doing them in a slackard manner, we should likewise identify them , by name, in our reports.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Enforcement of dress codes seems to be entirely left up to the individual venue hostess/ maitre de. As with any company, there are good employees that diligently perform their jobs and there are slackers. Some hostess are very diligent gate keepers and turn attempted code abusers away. Others are slackers.

I have, in the past, witnessed a hostess seat a cruiser blatantly abusing the code. I took the hostess name and the restaurant manager’s name, telling the hostess their lack of performance, by name, would be in both my mid cruise and final cruise report. I got a call from the F&B manager after the mid cruise report. Actions changed. He didn’t want that final report going to corporate naming names of the offenders and their lack of diligence. 

We are asked to identify those employees that go above and beyond for special recognition. When we witnessed employees not performing their assigned tasks, or doing them in a slackard manner, we should likewise identify them , by name, in our reports.

I am one who is quick to praise. BUT, like you when something like you mention occurs, I report it. In writing. If all one does is go on social media and complain, nothing will change. And, yes, one must name names. Thanks for being so explicit.

19 hours ago, Redtravel said:

People who sail on Oceania dress well. Even when people wear jeans, they are neat. I have never seen any torn jeans on Oceania.  My spouse wears pressed  black denim pants.. we have seen jeans at dinner. 

The worst I've seen were two "old coot" men who didn't have on jeans.

7 minutes ago, Mura said:

I'm afraid that I HAVE seen torn jeans at dinner ... and this was in Polo a couple of years ago.  Admittedly, this is NOT the norm on Oceania cruises ... but it does happen sometimes.

Just came from dinner at Polo and everyone was dressed nicely including quite a few men in blazers.

As I said, it's not common but it can happen.  For the incident I mentioned, I didn't notice their attire until they got up to leave.  The two couples were at the table next to ours.  All four had "hole-y" jeans and t-shirts, but as I recall the t-shirts weren't objectionable.  I was just taken aback at the attire (and shoes) beneath the waist.  These would only have been noticed when the people were entering and leaving ...

How was your Polo dinner?  We always have preferred Polo to Toscana ... Not that we turn up our noses at Toscana.  This goes back to Renaissance days (1999). 

In general, the dress of all diners in the specialties (and La Reserve as well) are a few notches up from what you'll see in the GDR.  More jackets and ties for the men, for one thing.  But it's not as if ALL men are wearing jackets and ties.

(Pants are NOT optional ...)

Mura

12 hours ago, Mura said:

How was your Polo dinner?  We always have preferred Polo to Toscana

There was something about Toscana that we can't quite put a finger on. Everyone was certainly nice but it felt somehow stiff. I don't know if that's the right word.

There has definitely been a "decline" in apparel choices on Oceania over the years.

In the "old" days you never saw jeans in the GDR or specialties.  The dress code was enforced.

We have also seem some laxity on luxury lines.

I personally don't care what anyone wears but I do believe if the cruise lines have a policy they should enforce it or abandon the policy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Agree, the olive oil shtick is pompous for sure.

I was looking forward to that as I use different kinds of oils and vinegars and sometimes buy them on trips. But, yeah, it didn't sing.

2 hours ago, bitob said:

I personally don't care what anyone wears but I do believe if the cruise lines have a policy they should enforce it or abandon the policy.

When I've read O's policy it's vague at best. Since we've yet to it at GDR 🙂 I can only commit on Toscana and Polo and all were dressed fine.

55 minutes ago, clo said:

I was looking forward to that as I use different kinds of oils and vinegars and sometimes buy them on trips. But, yeah, it didn't sing.

I always ask for the butter - the oils are too messy and not nearly as delicious as the butter 🙂

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 7:33 AM, ORV said:

Non casual jeans are very much allowed in the GDR at night. As usual some try to re write the dress code to reflect what they’d like it to be, not what it is. 

Saw men in jeans in the GDR at dinner time several nights on our Oct 25th - Nov 7th cruise

2 hours ago, impala1ss said:

Just got back from the Marina. In Jacques one night they seated a guy in jeans. I wish I'd have known, I'd have worn them myself.

Having dinner at Jacques tonight. Will check 'em out and practice my "stink-eye" before we get there 🙂