Cabin key/account pass question.

Hi, we are getting ready for our first Marella cruise soon, and I have a query about the keycard/pass. On our previous 2 cruises we have always kept ours in pockets, but have acknowledged the advantage of probably wearing them on a lanyard. 

The question relates how to attach the pass to the lanyard. Do the passes have a pre-punched hole in them, or will customer services put on in for us?  Or, would we be better taking some form of card holder attached to the lanyard?

Sorry, not the most exciting question, but the other half suggested someone on here would be bound to know the answer.

Thanks in anticipation.

3 hours ago, FuzzyDuckUK said:

No pre-punched hole in the cards. Kept ours in a wallet but saw others using a lanyard that seemed to be a clear plastic pocket, however the card would need to be removed to be able to use it to open the cabin door.

Hi. My personal opinion is it’s perhaps not a good idea to wear a lanyard with your card in. It screams out “tourist “and makes you a bit of an easy target for all of the people that are trying to sell you whatever they are peddling.

Just my opinion loike😉

We have lanyards. Customer services will happily punch the required hole. After leaving the ship, I slip mine inside my shirt to avoid unwanted attention. On an evening, I tend to carry it in my wallet or pocket (but have managed to lose it onboard on both my last 2 cruises!). Customer services happily replace it.

The complete cabin number is not shown on the card, so if lost its should not be possible for anyone to enter your cabin or use it for 'extras' as your picture comes up at the till.

Edited by howmuch!

44 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

The complete cabin number is not shown on the card, so if lost its should not be possible for anyone to enter your cabin or use it for 'extras' as your picture comes up at the till.

It's relatively easy to find the cabin,  the combination of the few numbers and muster station would narrow it down greatly

Thanks for the replies. That does help. 

We have no intention of wearing them around our necks when ashore, just onboard. I think our complexion will easily identify us as tourists where we are going 😁

Thanks also for the concern about losing them, but I suspect I am more likely to do that if it is in and out of my pocket. As I wear a lanyard at work I am well used to them and have never once even got close to losing it.

Thank you all again. Happy cruising🛳

• 5 weeks later...

Just got back, so can now clarify the situation for anyone with the same question.

This now seems like a fairly irrelevant question as this was our first AI cruise, so there is no need to show your card every time you order a drink etc. Any purchases we made onboard at the shop or destination services we just had to give our cabin number, which they entered on the till and our picture showed up on screen, to confirm it was us.

We also had a conventional key for our cabin so did not need our pass to get in. So, the only time we ever took our passes out of the safe was when we went ashore. 

Customer services did punch a hole in our passes on the first night.

In relation to the comment about cabin numbers, our pass had our full names and cabin number printed on it. Not that it mattered to us as we needed a key to get into the cabin.