11:45 depart flight out of Miami

brandy1175

22 minutes ago, brandy1175 said:

We are on the empress Feb 16th - 23rd. It says that departure begins at 8:30 am and ends at 9:50. We could self debarkation and would be using a ride share to get to Miami airport.  

Do you have TSA pre-check?

Miami security "can" be a CF.  😉 

You will have no problem what so ever.... 15-20 min cab ride to Airport.  WE just returned yesterday off of MSC Seaside. WE didn't disembark until 9 am (disembarakation started at 7am but we chose to leisurely leave ship) and were thru customs and at the cab station at 9:30 and at Miami Airport by 10am

• Like 1

I am glad you asked this question.  We will be on Symphony returning to Miami on June 6.  We have sailed on Liberty and Harmony into Galveston and PC. We had no problem debarking and were on the road in a heartbeat. Both cruises were in the summer, so no January fog issues in Galveston.  But since we are flying to/from Miami, we were thinking of booking the 5 pm flight home to Texas "just in case".  Is this ridiculously late to be flying home?

2 hours ago, luv2sailAgain said:

I am glad you asked this question.  We will be on Symphony returning to Miami on June 6.  We have sailed on Liberty and Harmony into Galveston and PC. We had no problem debarking and were on the road in a heartbeat. Both cruises were in the summer, so no January fog issues in Galveston.  But since we are flying to/from Miami, we were thinking of booking the 5 pm flight home to Texas "just in case".  Is this ridiculously late to be flying home?

Yes.  Even if you don't do the self debark I would say it is ridiculous.  Time before last we were off before 8.  At the airport, they wouldn't let us check in.  Too early for our bags.  So we sat in the unsecured portion of the airport for a few hours.  I think in that case we were scheduled for about 1 pm going out.  If you haven't looked around at an airport, most anyway, there is not much for activities, food, etc before the security checkpoint.  So the wait seemed tortuous.  We couldn't really go anywhere since we were lugging our bags around. 😞 

14 minutes ago, KuffMUp said:

Yes.  Even if you don't do the self debark I would say it is ridiculous.  Time before last we were off before 8.  At the airport, they wouldn't let us check in.  Too early for our bags.  So we sat in the unsecured portion of the airport for a few hours.  I think in that case we were scheduled for about 1 pm going out.  If you haven't looked around at an airport, most anyway, there is not much for activities, food, etc before the security checkpoint.  So the wait seemed tortuous.  We couldn't really go anywhere since we were lugging our bags around. 😞 

I never thought about being unable to check in and having to wait outside security.  What airline did you use?  Our other choices are 11:45 or 1:45 (for $150 more). You are right. There is about "0" to do before security.

Edited by luv2sailAgain

3 hours ago, luv2sailAgain said:

You should be fine if you self disembark, we sailed Symphony last february and had no issues making an 1130 flight at MIA. 

If it makes you feel any better, we are on Empress disembarking on 1/19, and we have a 10:30 flight out of Miami.  I know that is very tight, but all other options were significantly more expensive.  Backup plan is rent a car and drive 10 hours.    

21 hours ago, luv2sailAgain said:

I never thought about being unable to check in and having to wait outside security.  What airline did you use?  Our other choices are 11:45 or 1:45 (for $150 more). You are right. There is about "0" to do before security.

We were on American.  I couldn't believe it either.  I think they didn't want to hold the bags in the back.  I guess if they checked everyone in early, where would they put all the bags?  If it was a total of $150 and not per person, I would go for it.  How much do you value your time?  If I had to take a leisure stroll off the ship and still get stuck there from, say 1100 to 05:00 that is still quite a bit of time to wait.  Then the trip in the plane on top of that.  

It is probably not a great idea to check your luggage too early anyway.  More of a chance for the airline to loose it.  Hoping for a "Travel Tuesday" deal tomorrow.  A girl can dream!  Once through security, I can entertain myself looking at the over priced shops, riding the moving sidewalks/trams,  walking around, people watching. . .  But you really have to get through security to do all those things.  The 1:45 flight is presently $150 more per person! 

We'll see!  Thanks for all of the help everyone!