Scandinavia Cruise

bell2

Hi, we have cruised a lot with my Dad in the past, but he is now 95 and can walk a limited distance with a cane, though he lives independently.  When we go into a city this year to do some  activity like a show, we take a portable wheelchair to get him to and from any distance necessary, though he can walk short distances and a few steps with a little assistance.

We were looking at the Princess Scandinavia cruise, which goes to Kristiansand, Copenhagen, Skagen, and Oslo.  Looking at the excursions, it looks like there really aren't any for wheelchair passengers, but he is not fully wheelchair bound, could get into the bus with us assisting him, we could take him in the wheelchair from the boat into the port excursion as that's often quite a distance, etc.  He could walk himself into a restaurant, bathroom, etc.

If anyone is familiar with the excursions from these ports, do you think we would be able to manage the easy excursions, and will they let us bring a portable wheelchair onto the bus, etc?

Thank you.

I’m pretty sure there will be suitable excursions, I would email the Princess access desk to ask them, mentioning that the wheelchair folds and that he can manage the coach  steps. Additionally some of these ports will have petit trains or HOHOs that would be suitable, we were on the HOHO in Oslo, and I think we were on a petit train from the port in Kristiansand (it was a long time ago), but tbh I would think you’d enjoy the shore excursions more. 

accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com

Most the Scandinavian ports are real easy to get around. Yes, they have the cobble stones and many bumps, regardless if you look at a map and predetermine what you want to see, chances you can get there without too much problem.

I am not familiar with Kristiansand or Skagen.

For Oslo, since you will be on foot, I would suggest taking the Ho Ho bus. Oslo is spread out, thus that could entail a lot of walking. We both used mobility scooters and used the metro to get to the further most point and scooted back toward town.

Copenhagen will depend on the ship you are on. If it is small ship, chances are that you will dock at Langelinie. The advantage there is the fact you would be closer to the center of Copenhagen. However, if it is a medium to large ship, you will be docked Nordhavnen. I understand that the metro has been completed, thus you can get from Nordhaven either on the metro or a bus. You will definitely require transportation out of Nordhaven, where as, Langelinie is within walking distance of some sights. Both Copenhagen and Oslo have excellent transportation systems, however using the Hop on buses might be the easiest.

You will find that most of the sights let the “helper” in free of charge. This is because it is up to the helper to assist the disabled person. That includes getting them up and down stairs if need be. Very few of the historical buildings have elevators.

If you are fond of “fish & chips” make a stop at Torvehallerne. Right in the midst Copenhagen and very close to many sights. I have had great fish & chips in London, but these are the best.

Also, Tivoli Gardens is in Copenhagen. Too bad that the ships do not spent the night in Copenhagen. That is the best time to go to Tivoli Gardens.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

• 2 weeks later...