Disembarking in Sydney- safe to fly out that pm

lissie

We are sailing Queen Elizabeth - docking at The Rocks.  I need to book our flights home after the cruise. The options are either a flight at 18:40 that day  (international) or stay another night. We're already spending 3 nights in Sydney before the  cruise so I"m thinking just go for the 18:00 flight - would there be any issues?  I'm hoping to keep the luggage down to one checked bag -  would we be able to take our own bag off the ship? I know you can put your bag out the night before to have  it taken for you - but I'd rather just do it ourselves. 

I am one that is highly cautious about this, I take the view that the last thing I need on the last day of my holiday is stress over making flights and pretty much always say, just have the extra night and enjoy the city 

BUT even I say you should be fine with 6:40 PM.

22 minutes ago, lissie said:

On  this site which I think is probably authoritative https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/ I'm seeing arrives at 6:30am 

We won't be doing a ship's tour - we're very familiar with Sydney - might just head to Bondi or Manly  for a swim and lunch and then go to the airport. 

If you walk off with off with your bags or pushed off about 930 .

Store your bags and do your thing.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

You should be fine.  Do you have a direct flight back to NZ? Some flights go via Brisbane or Melbourne meaning a fairly late arrival home.

The direct flight is 18:40 - gets back at midnight NZ time.  Wgtn to east coast Oz are horrible flights they all depart  between 6am and 7am and all arrive back around midnight!   Three airlines on the route and they all fly within 30min of each other! 

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

If you walk off with off with your bags or pushed off about 930 .

Store your bags and do your thing.

The storage place in The Rocks will transfer store bags to the airport for an additional charge - I'm now definitely thinking a day on the sands of Manly! 

2 minutes ago, lissie said:

The storage place in The Rocks will transfer store bags to the airport for an additional charge - I'm now definitely thinking a day on the sands of Manly! 

Fabulous,I didn’t know that.

Some ports have a baggage valet,so you don’t see your bags from your cabin till your home airport. One day Sydney will catch up.

• Like 1

You SHOULD be ok - Both cruises we've done out of OPT, we've disembarked by 9am.  But as always, unexpected delays can get in the way. A friend was on a cruise that was meant to dock at 7am, but due to high seas etc, they didn't get in until 7pm!! That's an anomaly though.

3 hours ago, losfp said:

You SHOULD be ok - Both cruises we've done out of OPT, we've disembarked by 9am.  But as always, unexpected delays can get in the way. A friend was on a cruise that was meant to dock at 7am, but due to high seas etc, they didn't get in until 7pm!! That's an anomaly though.

LOL I've bookede the 18:40pm flight!  Looks like our insurance will cover us if there is a problem anyways - and its only across the ditch - not difficult to arrange another flight (so long as I don't have to pay for it!)