Lanyards?

sburrus4

I need advice please!  First time cruiser here.  We're going on RCI's Independence of the Seas in February.  When it comes to Seapasses, do a lot of people wear lanyards?  As a female, I know not many of my outfits have pockets and I have 2 small kids to wrangle.  However, I don't want to set up my family to look like nerds if no one else is wearing them.  We have 6 cabins, so I'm going to buy them as Christmas gifts if its a good idea. 

Also, for Independence (Indy) do the Seapasses have RFID, or can they have a hole punched?  Or do people wear the plastic sleeve kind?

Thanks in advance!

45 minutes ago, sburrus4 said:

I need advice please!  First time cruiser here.  We're going on RCI's Independence of the Seas in February.  When it comes to Seapasses, do a lot of people wear lanyards?  As a female, I know not many of my outfits have pockets and I have 2 small kids to wrangle.  However, I don't want to set up my family to look like nerds if no one else is wearing them.  We have 6 cabins, so I'm going to buy them as Christmas gifts if its a good idea. 

Also, for Independence (Indy) do the Seapasses have RFID, or can they have a hole punched?  Or do people wear the plastic sleeve kind?

Thanks in advance!

If lanyards work best for you and your family, go for it. Don't concern yourself with what others may or may not think of them or you. I still see some cruisers walking around with fanny packs. We don't use either. 

• Like 1

Guest maddycat
45 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I still see some cruisers walking around with fanny packs.

Those are coming back in fashion.  However, they're smaller and more stylish.

Lanyard fan here!  The guys in our group don't wear them, they prefer to keep the card in their wallets.  But us ladies don't always have pockets and we sure don't want to carry a purse around on board.  So I took to making beaded lanyards for the ladies, have them in all kinds of colors to match whatever we're wearing.  We love them and get tons of positive comments (including purchase offers).  Prior to making them, we used basic black ones or whatever we found at the store.

I ditto what others have already said.... do what works for you and don't worry for a second what someone else might think!

Edited by Ren1216
  • Like 3

We just got 4 new lanyards in the mail today from Amazon with the Patriots logo on them to add to our collection of about 2 dozen.  The hole punched ones are a lot easier to use than the one in the plastic pouch.  You can insert them in your cabin door, give them to your server etc. without having to remove them from the pouch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ren1216 said:

Lanyard fan here!  The guys in our group don't wear them, they prefer to keep the card in their wallets.  But us ladies don't always have pockets and we sure don't want to carry a purse around on board.  So I took to making beaded lanyards for the ladies, have them in all kinds of colors to match whatever we're wearing.  We love them and get tons of positive comments (including purchase offers).  Prior to making them, we used basic black ones or whatever we found at the store.

I ditto what others have already said.... do what works for you and don't worry for a second what someone else might think!

Love the idea of beaded lanyards to look nice!

4 minutes ago, sburrus4 said:

Love the idea of beaded lanyards to look nice!

We make fairly fancy ones (as a hobby now) but you can get decent basic ones on Amazon or eBay for not much $.  Maybe Etsy but those will probably cost more.  I should go take a look.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ren1216 said:

We make fairly fancy ones (as a hobby now) but you can get decent basic ones on Amazon or eBay for not much $.  Maybe Etsy but those will probably cost more.  I should go take a look.

Do you add a detachable piece so you don't have to hand over your whole lanyard?

4 hours ago, sburrus4 said:

Do you add a detachable piece so you don't have to hand over your whole lanyard?

If the card doesn't already have a hole in it, I get a hole punched in it at guest services. Then I put a key ring thru the hole so I can easily snap it on my lanyard or remove it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maddycat said:

Those are coming back in fashion.  However, they're smaller and more stylish.

That's one fashion I never followed in the past and won't be in the future. Not judging those that do wear them no matter the size or style. 

• Like 2

Total lanyard fan!  And definitely detachable-easier to hand to server for drinks... and no plastic cover/sleeve. Tried that before, and it was a pain taking it out of sleeve to open cabin door, get drinks, make purchases, etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sburrus4 said:

Yes.  The end of the lanyard has a lobster claw clasp.  We punch a hole in the Sea Pass and stick it on a thin split ring.  The ring goes on and off the lobster claw easily for purchases or opening the cabin door.  Very convenient.  I would attach some photos but I don't have them here at my house.  Will try to bring them home in the next few days.

4 hours ago, Pratique said:

Curious, why do these guys carry their wallets on the ship? I leave mine in the safe.

No idea, I never asked them.  I could be wrong, maybe they just stick their cards in their pockets.  All I know is they aren't interested in our pretty lanyards!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sburrus4 said:

Thanks in advance!

DW and myself have to wear lanyards to at work and we hate them so it's not an option for us on vacation, plus I have pockets in my bathing suit so I don't need one.  They have plenty of lanyards available for sale so I'm sure there are many people buying them. I noticed mostly women wearing them because they were wearing the ones with bling. When the kids were small it didn't bother them to wear them and many other children also had them on.  On Anthem we choose to purchase the Wow bands for $5. This was the first them I didn't have to  carry DW's sail card in my pocket. However I still had to tote around the lipstick. I'm surprised that some cosmetic company hasn't come up with lipstick on a lanyard. If it looked like a pendant on a necklace DW would wear that.

• Like 1

We do lanyards. Partially because our kids are too little for wallets and pants pockets and all that, partially because it's an easy way to fly our geek flags and give people a new way to meet us and strike up conversation with anyone who is our "tribe". We've got Stark Industries, Darkhorse Comics, various Harry Potter houses, and a a couple Star Wars ones hanging around the house, so we're well supplied already -- I keep the boring metal/black fabric ones for my work badge. 🙂 

• Like 1