TAP Portugal opinions

floinnc

We have flown TAP several times, but not on the route you are referring to.   We first flew them in business class (on United miles) from Newark to Porto - it was fine, not the best nor worst, but that's because it was business class.    We have flown them home from Lisbon to Newark in economy (not premium economy) twice.   We are small enough (I'm 5'1" and DH is 5'8", if that anymore) and we were OK in the 2 across seats.   Reviews on TAP are mixed.   Some people hate it, some don't mind it,  some like it.   But you need to understand the reasons behind the comments to see if they matter to you.   

Also, be aware of the baggage requirements and class of fares and what's included.  Carry on limits are more restrictive.   When we first flew economy the fare was cheaper to get seats than the second time.   The first time I was also able to buy on the UK website for a cheaper price, but that didn't work the second time.    For a one way fare TAP does seem to be cheaper, but also make note of the connection - I assume you are going to connect via Lisbon.  

I would suggest you look at the type of plane, check SeatGuru and Google for some reviews.   

I flew them from Newark to Lisbon, then to Porto, and back in economy. Was about a year ago. No better or worse than any other transatlantic economy flight. I have a dim memory that similar to what The Mice said, their carry on restrictions were tighter than typical US, but they weren’t aggressive about it.  I remember reading that they sometimes offer deals allowing a stay in Lisbon after changing planes there fir a connecting flight, but you’d have to Google for accurate info.