Juneau-tracy arm excursion

Autumnz

I'd like to take the tracy arm excursion from Juneau.  Advice on best company to book?

Sidenote...I'm looking to book independent of the cruise ship...is that a mistake?

Also...we booked celebrity as princess cabins for 3 were bunk beds only and didn't love the vibe of HAL.  This means no glacier bay.  We are staying a week pre cruise including 26 glacier excursion and hope to see GB next time.  Any other suggestions to see great scenery as no GB on our itinerary?

Edited by Autumnz

I was booked on Adventure bound in May and was sick that day, everyone else in the roll call that went rally enjoyed the trip. I may book on next years cruise ,waiting to see, the ship I am on does Zodiac trips right off the boat while at Tracey arm. Their bookings open on the 2nd of January I believe. 

https://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

13 hours ago, Autumnz said:

Well, I was so excited until I realized we aren't in Juneau until 9am so we won't make the 8am depart.  Boo!

I often recommend people look at times in port and excursions before they pick the ship. This happens frequently.

Princess NB allows for this. And has Glacier Bay.

22 hours ago, Autumnz said:

Yes, but princess was about $800 more than our celebrity and only had bunk beds for our family (unless booked a suite)  😞

Minisuites would have worked and they really are not suites.

46 minutes ago, Autumnz said:

Yes, but they were almost double the price!

Well, they go to Glacier Bay, have time to go to AdventureBound Alaska and there is a ton of enrichment programs. 

Having missed Hubbard glacier a lot - I like having 2 glaciers on my route.

Princess will allow you to move 2 beds into a queen once on the ship (with an upper bunk) if you sign a waiver.

Sorry you are missing Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. They are both pretty cool.

Edited by Coral

6 hours ago, katrina915 said:

I did Adventure Bound on Celebrity Eclipse.  Great excursion!!

The price of this excursion is also very reasonable for a whole day excursion.

I suggest the OP look at the cost of excursions they are looking at. They may realize that Princess is worth the extra $800 as it is so easy to spend $300 plus per person on excursions. Plus you get Glacier Bay.

Edited by Coral

Thanks so much for the advice!  Princess is out due to the bunk cabins (and over $6,000 for the cruise in a mini suite).  We plan to come back and do GBay, Misty Fjords, Tracy Arm on a different sail.  I just thought if we could do a tracy arm excursion, we would!:)

I do appreciate that note....which reasons do you have for not preferring celebrity?  We did a lot of research prior and decided on celebrity for a variety of reasons.  All cruises we looked at had pros and cons, but this is one had the most pros for us. (?)

11 hours ago, Autumnz said:

I do appreciate that note....which reasons do you have for not preferring celebrity?  We did a lot of research prior and decided on celebrity for a variety of reasons.  All cruises we looked at had pros and cons, but this is one had the most pros for us. (?)

Most people on these boards prefer Glacier Bay and Celebrity is not currently going to Glacier Bay.  I actually liked Hubbard better than Glacier Bay since it is bigger glacier.  You see more wildlife in Glacier Bay but you can substitute other excursions elsewhere.  Positive of Celebrity is that it goes to Seward.  I really like the Kenai Fjord tour from there.

You can have a cloudy day and miss seeing a glacier if you only have one glacier day but you can minimize that by going to Kenai Fjord or seeing glaciers elsewhere.

Like you said, all cruises have pros and cons.  And everyone has different priorities.  I heard that Seattle round trip with Tracy Arm isn't the best, but I really liked it.  Best naturalist that I ever had on that Celebrity ship and I liked Tracy Arm better than Glacier Bay.

Have fun whatever you decide!

I really appreciate you sharing your insight!

We also have 8 nts on land (1 nt in anc upon arrival, 5 nts girdwood, and 2 nts Seward) prior to our trip.  We want to see wildlife on land (moose!) and sea (sea lions, seals, orcas), as well as glaciers and general nature hikes.  We are planning on the MICA Matanuska Glacier Hike, 26 Glacier Cruise, the 7.5 Kenai Cruise, and Bear Glacier Kayaking.

NCL, Princess, and HAL were all pricing pretty close and although we were set to book Princess, we decided we just didn't want to do the bunk room or pay double the price for the suite.  When Celebrity came in about $800 cheaper than those 3, we decided to book it.  :-)  

1 hour ago, Autumnz said:

We also have 8 nts on land (1 nt in anc upon arrival, 5 nts girdwood, and 2 nts Seward) prior to our trip.  We want to see wildlife on land (moose!) and sea (sea lions, seals, orcas), as well as glaciers and general nature hikes.  We are planning on the MICA Matanuska Glacier Hike, 26 Glacier Cruise, the 7.5 Kenai Cruise, and Bear Glacier Kayaking.

I have been on the 26 glacier cruise and 7.5hr Kenai cruise.  I saw whales last year on the 7.5 Kenai cruise.  The Kenai Fjord cruise is one of my favorites.  Glacier, wildlife and puffins!!!  

I have heard really good things about the MICA hike.

Have fun.  Alaska is beautiful with whatever you do!

11 minutes ago, Autumnz said:

I was (am) a bit nervous about the 7.5 hr boat ride- hoping no seasickness (as there have been many reports!).

Please take precautions and take/use something PRIOR to your tour.  I have been on many boat excursions and there are ALWAYS people that get seasick.  Make sure to consult with your health care provider to see what is appropriate for your needs as everyone is different.  We start our Bonine the day before we cruise and continue taking it until the end of the cruise.  We have weathered some rocky seas while on board the ship as well as excursions.  Alaska is such a beautiful place that we don't want to take any chances of missing a thing by being seasick.