Scenic River Cruise Cabin Location

Camille11

Looking for recommendations on which side of ship would be best to book a Diamond deck cabin on  Scenic Jade - Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary?  I anticipate spending alot of time on the Sun deck but quiet balcony time is appealing also.  Any help appreciated!  ☺

Probably many opinions about this given views can be great on both sides.

Other issues if you have not yet river cruised be mindful about rafting,  that may impact your view from the cabin when stationary/docked.

We prefer a balcony too but many dislike paying the premium price and having the experience diminished by being rafted.

Depending on the time of the year on some sailing 3 abrest has been reported, someone reported 5 this year. 

Also the sundeck is closed and not available for some sections of that itinerary because of low bridges and safety factors.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide. 

• Like 1

We were on the left of the ship on Diamond deck last month (our first cruise).  I really don't think it would have mattered which side.

We loved the balcony, although we didn't use it often, it was great when we wanted to.

We had a junior suite, which I think is slightly larger.  The best thing was that it was the second cabin back.  It made it so easy to pop back to the cabin for a jacket, or anything you wanted.  It was an incredibly long corridor and I wouldn't have wanted a cabin at the back.

Enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

Unless the weather doesn't cooperate it matters little which side your cabin is on.  Mornings may find you enjoying a coffee in your suite before you head down to the restaurant but once the day starts you will be on an excursion or up on the sun deck.  I think it is Day 1 or Day 2 which is a full cruise day, lots of sights to see along the riverbank but other than that you are "engaged" in an activity most other days and evenings. We NEVER rafted while on the Amber for the same trip

5 hours ago, Senga said:

We did Scenic Opal Budapest to Amsterdam and were on the port side.  Going through the Rhine Gorge there was far more to see on the starboard side.

Even though I froze my butt off, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere going through the Rhine Gorge except up on the Sun Deck with views of both sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even though I froze my butt off, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere going through the Rhine Gorge except up on the Sun Deck with views of both sides.

I totally agree!  The Rhine Gorge was on the coldest, wettest day of our trip, but we were still on the sundeck.  Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:05 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's the spirit of a dedicated cruiser! We will do this trip in April on Viking Lif and will pray for warm sunny weather - but pack for anything the elements care to provide.

Edited by What was that?
Added on.

Have done this trip in full from Amsterdam to Budapest and from Budapest to Nuremberg both on Diamond deck and still could not say if one was better than the other. I will say we usually have a cabin about the centre of the ship but have had a cabin second from reception, great position. My dh was convinced it would be noisy with people passing etc and it wasn’t. Have a great cruise CA