Bio Bay tours/transportation

piggiepuff

We are flying into San Juan a day before our cruise.  I have wanted to do a bio bay tour for years and this is our chance!  I have tried to find a rainforest/bio bay combo tour, but they all leave a little too early in the morning for us (our flight gets in at about 9:45 a.m.).  So since that's out, what's our next best bet?  I would really love to do the bio bay in Vieques, as I've heard it's the best and brightest, but it seems like quite a hassle to get there and then we'd have to stay overnight on the island.  I'm not opposed to it, it just seems like it's a lot of extra work.  I read somewhere that some car rental companies don't let you take their cars on the ferry, so then you have to taxi or something on the island anyway.  Plus... I'm not sure my husband could do an hour on the ferry.  He's okay on the cruise ships, but the smaller vessels get to him.  

Are there other, easier ways to do this?  I guess I'm just looking for general input on both Vieques (is it worth it) or Fajardo (which I'm sure is still beautiful), and especially the best way to get there.  I'm a little nervous about the driving there b/c we've been in San Juan several times and the driving is.... not what we are used to.  Also, are the road signs in Spanish?  

• 1 month later...

I am in the same situation as you. We are coming in and have an Airbnb rented 4 days prior to our cruise, and 4 days after our cruise. We just don't want to spend 1 night on another island, when we already have an Airbnb paid for. I contacted one of the tour guides that takes you to the bio bay and they said you either need to fly into the island or take the ferry, and the last flights/ferry runs at 9pm so you need to spend the night. It was disappointing to hear that. 😞

Yes the street signs are Spanish.