Stockholm Old Town on our Own

Tom O.

thanks for the clarification, we sometime get a different news story on this side of the world. But bottom line, I don't think there will be any international cruise ships docking in Stockholm this summer or this year. Not just Sweden but any Baltic cruises. 

3 hours ago, strathcona said:

thanks for the clarification, we sometime get a different news story on this side of the world. But bottom line, I don't think there will be any international cruise ships docking in Stockholm this summer or this year. Not just Sweden but any Baltic cruises. 

Yeah I definitely agree with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been my dream to visit Sweden since our first Norwegian cruise. I've seen its old town from the board of the ship. Yes, it sounds like a fantastic trip but the downside was that we were not allowed to disembark. Next time I will go there and stay for a few days. I heard its a nice place during Christmas time.. but I mean its always nice to go somewhere where they have a Christmas celebration 

3 hours ago, Nok977 said:

I wonder if any cruise company operating in the Baltics offers 2-days in Stockholm, all itineraries of the Baltic cruises I have seen so far have just one day in Stockholm. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I would love to stay at least for two days. 

Why not book a cruise that starts or ends in Stockholm? That way, you could spend some time in Stockholm pre or post cruise.

19 hours ago, Nok977 said:

I wonder if any cruise company operating in the Baltics offers 2-days in Stockholm, all itineraries of the Baltic cruises I have seen so far have just one day in Stockholm. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I would love to stay at least for two days. 

Aida does. https://aida.de/finden/VI10210705/PREMIUM

On 5/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, Nok977 said:

On 5/28/2020 at 10:49 PM, dogs4fun said:

Why not book a cruise that starts or ends in Stockholm? That way, you could spend some time in Stockholm pre or post cruise.

Here is one with Royal Carribean, starts in Copenhagen and ends in Stockholm.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/10-night-ultimate-scandinavia-russia-from-stockholm-on-adventure/AD10CPH-2909958156?sail-date=2021-06-17&currency=USD&country=USA

14 minutes ago, dog555 said:

we are looking to Vasa, ABBA museum and the royal armory on one day. We will be in port from 9am to 5 pm.  Is this doable?

Yes, it is doable. Might I suggest that you visit the Vasa first as it becomes very busy as the morning progresses.

7 minutes ago, dog555 said:

we are looking to Vasa, ABBA museum and the royal armory on one day. We will be in port from 9am to 5 pm.  Is this doable?

See post #65 right above your most recent post - your question was answered yesterday. 

On 6/3/2020 at 11:06 PM, dog555 said:

Yes, I think it's quite doable

ABBA museum is really great, we spent more than hour there and didn't want to leave!.we were singing with Agnetha and others (of course they were holograms I mean)! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, Desdichado62 said:

Not quite. While technically not a full lockdown there are lots of restrictions even if people are allowed to be outside and go to/from work.

Gatherings larger then 50 people have been banned, sports event has been banned/cancelled, public events has been cancelled (like 1 May demonstrations). Museums are closed, people are being told to stay at home if possible, told not to travel anywhere (except for absolutely necessary trips). Restaurants are open but are legally required to separate guests/tables with several meters (if they don't comply authorities will close them down). Lots of offices/factories and other non essential are either closed completely or have staff work from home. Tourism is closed down, borders are closed and etc. So there is a lockdown, it's just not as strict as in other countries and I don't the other countries can keep the lockdown ongoing for much longer.
Besides sitting at home doing nothing and not going outdoors at all can be very dangerous too in the long run.

Personally I don't see cruising or international travel being allowed to resume in Sweden this year/summer. Possible intra EU travel later in the autumn but not trans global with cruises and such.

I had a chat with my Swedish friends a couple of days ago and learned a new word from them, hemester. 🙂 I found it very funny and very Swedish. 🙂 Staying in Sweden during summer vacation is actually not a bad idea, Swedish summer is beautiful and isolation in a traditional wooden summer house in the middle of nowhere is the best one can do to survive the pandemic. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2019 at 2:15 PM, John Bull said:

Get to the Vasa earliest - numbers build as the day progresses, and to avoid over-crowding it's one in for every one out when numbers have been reached so the line is very slow.

Do you know where you'll be berthed?

There are bus and ho-ho boat options, depending on your berth

JB :classic_smile:

What is the best option to get from Vasa to Old Town?

10 hours ago, MCEaton said:

What is the best option to get from Vasa to Old Town?

Gamla Stan is about 15 minutes by bus or tram, the stop is a five minute walk from the Vasa.

Or it's about 30 minutes / 1.5 miles on foot.

We used the hop-on boat, which took about 15 minutes - the first Gamla Stan stop is Slussen, from there its a pleasant walk thro Gamla Stan to the Royal Palace.

But apparently the boat pier at Vasa isn't currently on the route, and in any case the hop-on boats aren't currently operating - guessing thats because of either its out-of-season or the virus or both, so you'll need to check again closer to your date.

JB 🙂

stockholm-2020.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 12:49 PM, John Bull said:

Gamla Stan is about 15 minutes by bus or tram, the stop is a five minute walk from the Vasa.

Or it's about 30 minutes / 1.5 miles on foot.

We used the hop-on boat, which took about 15 minutes - the first Gamla Stan stop is Slussen, from there its a pleasant walk thro Gamla Stan to the Royal Palace.

But apparently the boat pier at Vasa isn't currently on the route, and in any case the hop-on boats aren't currently operating - guessing thats because of either its out-of-season or the virus or both, so you'll need to check again closer to your date.

JB 🙂

It says on the website that they have a winter hiatus and that they will be back in April.  The Vasa pier is nr 3 on the blue time table (boats). The schedule on the left hand side is for their buses.

Edited by Desdichado62

11 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

It says on the website that they have a winter hiatus and that they will be back in April.  The Vasa pier is nr 3 on the blue time table (boats). The schedule on the left hand side is for their buses.

Thanks for the update

JB 🙂

• Like 1