Dogsledding & Glacier Helicopter in Skagway-82 year old MIL?

jodiem100

All- First time cruise here.  

My husband, son and I are taking my 82 year old MIL on an Alaskan Cruise in May.  MIL really wants to walk on a glacier and go dogsledding (who knew?).  We are traveling with Holland America.  They have an excursion in Skagway that is billed as "Dogsledding and Glacier Helicopter Flightseeing".  The excursion is listed as "moderate" activity level.  

Can anyone tell me what "moderate" activity entails?  MIL can walk just fine, she is highly mobile.  But she can't go long distances (more than 1/4 mile or so) or over rough ground.  My husband and 21 year old son will be there if she needs minor assistance.  

I called Holland and they said it is just the walk from the copter to the sleds, but didn't know the distance or terrain.  

Please let me know your thoughts or recommendations. 

Thank you! 

Do a search on youtube for the trip. Here is one but it is a little old then I got tired of searching. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elIxmivx1ss

Be aware it is one of the most canceled trips due to weather so have a back up plan in place and decide if just want helo tour without the dogs.

sightcrr

duh .... you were asking about Skagway and I provided the Juneau vendors. Sorry bout that.

In Skagway the only vendor I've seen is TEMSCO .   http://temscoair.com/skagway-tours/ 

<<< Though there are no age requirements for TEMSCO tours, they do require a moderate level of activity. Guests will need to be able to walk a minimum of 100 feet to and from the helicopter, over uneven snow, as well as have the ability to get on and off the helicopter (which requires navigating two 13" 18" steps with minimal assistance).  >>>

When I did this excursion, the walking distance from the helicopter landing area to the sled area was approximately 50 yards in deep snow.  I only fell once.  The sled has no bottom cushion so your body will feel every bump.  On the other hand, dogsledding in Skagway was my favorite excursion in 14 cruises to Alaska.

image.png.ed997c1debe75256705578c4866cdc67.png

We did the Dog Sledding & Helicopter Ride several years ago and loved it.  I can't walk and chew gum without falling, but it was super simple.  You will only walk about 45 feet.  I agree the ride is a "little" bumpy, but should be fine for your mom.  The helicopter ride alone is well worth the trip.  Have fun!   We are going again in June 2020.

Alaska 3 (594).JPG

Alaska 3 (641) a.jpg

Edited by kawilliams50