How far out? 2021 Cruise Plans

klfrodo

How far out should I consider making reservations for tours.

Don't want to be crazy early, then again don't want to wait too long and everything is booked.

Not going until mid June thru mid July 2021.

Edited by Host Bonjour
No one knew what the topic was about

We (4 adults) were on the Epic this past Sept.  We went DIY at all ports except Naples where I hired a private driver for the day.

I started contacting various vendors in January 2019 because I wanted to make changes to the pre-set itinerary of "Pompeii and Amalfi Coast'.  Went back and forth with a couple of vendors about changes, and finally decided to give up Pompeii in order to see more of the Coast.  Went back and forth again then finally decided on a vendor and  made the reservation in late April.  I was a getting a little nervous at that point since we were only 5 months out.

Joining your Roll Call will help in that you will see who is having a hard time filling their group tour and which tours are booking up quickly.  I felt badly for people who in August were trying to join a small group tour but it was sold out so they had to start their own. Unfortunately they were too late to find pax to join them, so they lost their tour.  

tours of what ? or to where ? 

Are you talking about private / group tours OR just entry to sites ?

Doesn't matter. My 12 day cruise takes us all around Italy and since I'm on the Italy board,,,,,well,,, Port stops in Italy is where.

My question is not specific and very general in nature. Just starting my research.

What do I know?

Cruise isn't until 2021

3rd European cruise and I'm NOT doing any cruiseline excursions

Co-ordinating excursions with my roll call is out of the question. Too many people organize things just so they can go for free or get kickbacks from the vendors. If people ask what we're doing or who we are going thru, I'll be more than happy to share that information. (Had bad experiences with all the above during Baltics cruise)

So, is 500 days too early, or do you think it would be safe to wait until this summer to start making actual reservations for 2021?

Wow,  sounds like you were very unlucky.  I have been fortunate in booking private tours and with others in Europe.  I usually organize my own to see what I want to see.  Prefer smaller groups.  I think you will be fine a year out or even six months ahead. That worked for us recently in the Mediterranean. 

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In my opinion, it's too early. Let the agencies get through their 2020 season. 

Thanks for your thoughts. They are appreciated

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Wow,  sounds like you were very unlucky.  I have been fortunate in booking private tours and with others in Europe.  I usually organize my own to see what I want to see.  Prefer smaller groups.  I think you will be fine a year out or even six months ahead. That worked for us recently in the Mediterranean. 

Appreciate the input

as noted in my 2nd post, I made a reservation for our private driver about 5 months out.  However, for 6 months before that, I researched each port to determine what to see and do, and how to do it.   I bought Rick Steves book "mediterranean cruise ports' and I read trip reports from pax on Princess, RCI, Celebrity, etc; they might not have been on the same ship as us, but they were visiting the same ports.  Some of the trip reports were very detailed and provided lots of helpful information. 

So use the next year to research your ports and come up with great itineraries.  Enjoy your research and planning!

I would wait until after the summer season 2020.  Less hectic time for the tour agencies and less confusion about dates (specially considering the possibility for date confusion - remember 6/7/2021 is Europe is 6th July and NOT 7th June!)

October 2020 would be around the date I would start to make enquiries.  Research can start at any time 😉