Cruise Critic Community
Brisbane41

Golden Princess causes offence in New Zealand

This morning we returned to Brisbane on the Sea Princess and our ship was in port the day after this occurred.  Our tour guide was quite unimpressed and informed us that the cruise ships have the option of local Maori people providing welcoming services for all incoming ships.  It is unfortunate Princess did not access the resources available to them.

3 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

Cruise ship photographers on the quayside are at best tacky. They consider it funny or appropriate to dress up to entice passengers to have photographs taken with them. Whist many on the cruise wouldn't be aware of the insensitivity of the actions by the photographers it is fair to say that if a blond Norwegian photographer painted his face black in New Orleans and tried to take photos of passengers all hell would break loose.

Whilst Princess have been caught out in this instance they are not alone in the crass acts carried out by the photographers.

Ever tried to get a photo of the lifebuoy stating which port you are in with your own camera , if not try it and watch the them go ballistic over what they see as their intellectual property.

The sooner they stop this crap on all cruise lines the better.

You've used two words in there which I had thought summed up the event - "insensitivity" and "crass".

14 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Yeah may not be offensive or racist but it does effect us all.

It effects those passengers who travel and pay money for a genuine experience in a foreign country. Now if you take racism away then those passengers on Golden Princess were first greeted to New Zealand by people who were fake and not even Maori. Too bad if you wanted a genuine experience. I am sure they will get it elsewhere. What this essentially is a cruise line profiteering and replacing genuine experiences with artificial ones. Soon enough the ship wont have to dock in a port. Lets start implementing virtual reality goggles and keeping them on the ship while touring the port. They would make a fortune.

If your concern is about artificiality, you wouldn't be taking a cruise at all. Pretty much everything about a ship is artificial. The food isn't genuine, the service is debatably so, but often more false than not, and the entertainment and attractions are often copies of other things.

It's just a money making venture around artificiality.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

If your concern is about artificiality, you wouldn't be taking a cruise at all. Pretty much everything about a ship is artificial. The food isn't genuine, the service is debatably so, but often more false than not, and the entertainment and attractions are often copies of other things.

So true, I even take my artificial aorta valve and hip along with me when cruising!

On 12/8/2019 at 5:38 AM, oskarNZ said:

There’s nothing wrong with being offended on behalf of someone else.  It’s part of empathy and social understanding. 

Feeling for someone who has been wronged is empathy, being offended on their behalf is something different.

11 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Totally wrong. The food is much better than you would get at your average bowling club, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and any suburban pub.

What I enjoy is the sea days and moving along the ocean, the fresh air, the stunning sunrise and sunsets, the scenic cruising, port visits, the bars on board. The whole sea life and activity is what I enjoy. It is an experience you cannot get on land.

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

Totally wrong. The food is much better than you would get at your average bowling club, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and any suburban pub.

What I enjoy is the sea days and moving along the ocean, the fresh air, the stunning sunrise and sunsets, the scenic cruising, port visits, the bars on board. The whole sea life and activity is what I enjoy. It is an experience you cannot get on land.

Your responses don't demonstrate it is totally wrong. And saying something is "better" against such low benchmarks is hardly a ringing endorsement and doesn't address any authenticity.

Sea days are one thing, but you don't need a cruise ship to achieve that. If you look at modern cruise ships they're moving away from that experience in any case... as that's not a revenue opportunity for them. More enclosed/interior design, smaller/non-existent promenades and enclaves and walls to be more about the experience onboard than what's outside.