Bora Bora: Overnight in overwater bungalow or stay on ship?

e39m5

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.  I've seen a few reviews where people spend their overnight in Bora Bora at a bungalow instead of on the ship.

The big downside - besides cost - seems to be that you miss the "Celebration Festival" - and then there's no guarantee the food off ship is as good as the Celbebration festival.

Has anyone tried an overnight or Bora Bora, or heard from others?

Thanks!

We stayed in over the water bungalows in Moorea prior to a cruise.  I would not pay for it again but was happy for the experience.  We spent most of our time out of the room so it did not seem worth the expense.  The ship that you are on is so small, I would consider it an overwater experience.  Agree that if you are going to do it, do it pre or post cruise.  Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

The snorkeling was so astonishing on Bora Bora (with the Windstar excursion, at that) that I think focusing on a "land" (if overwater) fat-cat luxury experience is a poor use of time. I am making the assumption that walk-in snorkeling by the resort you select would be (as it has been everywhere I've snorkeled) is mediocre compared with boat-journey snorkeling. It might help if you reflected on the two most "luxurious" hotel rooms you've ever had, and think about whether you got something lasting from the experience.

Here's a review I wrote a few years ago.  I actually prefer Intercontinental's older Moana resort over the Thalasso.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g311415-d596139-r149968719-InterContinental_Bora_Bora_Resort_Thalasso_Spa-Bora_Bora_Society_Islands.html

Another thought if you're game for a pre- or post-cruise extension; skip Bora Bora.  You've already seen it during your cruise, so venture further afield to a less-visited island.  There are many choices.  Maybe start by investigating Vahine, Tikehau, Fakarava, and Manihi.  My two cents.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/six-slices-of-paradise-in-the-tuamotus

Edited by Chipshot from Michigan

We did the WS Tahiti  and adored it. If  i had chosen to stay simply on an  island over the water I would have been disappointed. For us the beauty was being in the Lagoon and seeing everything from the water. After  having  been so fortunate  to do lots of traveling places like Bora Bora and Santorini being so inundated with people, seeing these islands and all their majesty from the water is so much more beautiful. Stay on the ship it is wonderful. The ship has such  great things to do from the local entertainment that comes onboard, the island picnic, fire dancing night, glorious. FYI Bora Bora on land was least interesting on this trip and Santorini was too, both done on WS Cruises on the small sailing ships. Adored both trips. Happy Sailing. 

Adding to my previous post, because of other comments made: It sounds less responsive to your OP, but I want to mention that a huge number of people on our Windstar Tahiti cruise had off-ship plans, most often for a world-class (?) dinner ashore. Now, once it's dark, you're not missing anything by having a dinner you could never have anywhere else! My observation was about daytime activities. I think we didn't consider dinner ashore because it would have made a longer day than we wanted. (I don't recall a special ship meal on our Bora Bora night, over ten years ago.)

We stayed in an OWB in Tahiti before our PG cruise.  IT was a nice experience, but I wouldn't spend the money on it during the cruise.  AS others have suggested, make it a pre or post cruise option.