Help me choose a sailing date

Cruising Latitude

I have 4 Norwegian Sun sailings and one Princess Pacific sailing on hold, all of them 11 or 12 night round trips out of Seattle or Vancouver, and all have the ports and port times we want.  

Princess Pacific 5/15/2020 

Norwegian Sun 7/2/2020, 7/24/2020, 8/13/2020, 9/4/2020

This will be our 2nd and 3rd time to Alaska and the main objective is wild life sighting especially whales (likely do it in ISP), salmon spawning and bears (will likely do Traitor’s Cove), and extended glacier trekking and ice wall climbing (will likely book through the ship in Juneau) and at a lower priority dog sledding and sea fishing.    

For the excursions we want to do, is there a sailing date that stands out?  Ship, cruise line and prices are not as important, unless one line offers a much better excursion. 

PS, we will likely do a 2 week land trip around 2023/2024 and that’s why I am focusing on SE Alaska this time around. 

Given that Traitors Cove is a priority, the 8/13 date would probably be best since that the middle of their peak viewing period.

I've always read that Anan is the better location. maybe because black and brown bears can be seen?).  I'm content with bear viewing at Denali so it's not something I've researched. Might be worthwhile for you to research further though since its a priority.

https://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bearviewing.main

• Thanks 1

If traitor's cove is a priority, Mapleleaves is correct with August date.  Look at the vendors websites to get more specific dates (Island Wings website as example).  Anan is a good bear experience.  I would chose Anan over Traitor's cove, but you may have a different priority.  But Anan requires permits.

Edited by katrina915
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both so much!  🤗

I did inquire Anan and am still waiting for a couple of operators to get back to me.  That might sway my decision go with the 7/24/2020 sailing.  But if not I will most likely go with 8/13/2020 as you suggested. 

We had really good luck last time in Haines and saw about 2 dozen black AND brown bears (mothers, cubs, one big grizzly male) all playing together at one spot right off the highway to Yukon.  We must have taken 10,000 pictures within 1 hour.  😅    

And the best part was no one else on our ship rented a car so we were the only visitors at that spot.  Locals never stopped or slowed down.  We had the spot all to ourselves and could take as many selfies as we wanted.  😆

They need permits to Anan and I don't think they get them until Jan/Feb so they may not be able to tell you right now if they can take you.   

It sounds like you saw more bears in Haines then what you will see at Anan or Traitor's. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

They need permits to Anan and I don't think they get them until Jan/Feb so they may not be able to tell you right now if they can take you.   

It sounds like you saw more bears in Haines then what you will see at Anan or Traitor's. 

Good luck!

Yes we had great luck last time.  And this time we would love to see bears catching salmon.  Trying for that Nat Geo cover picture.  😝