Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CruiserMickey

Taxi from Venice Port to Marco Polo Airport?

Recommended Posts

Can anyone please help me with logistics for my trip? My flight leaves Marco Polo Airport at 10:45 am. Our ship is in port overnight before disembarking.

 

What time should we self disembark to get to the airport in plenty of time? Is 7:00am early enough?

 

Are there taxis available and waiting at the cruise port, or do we need to book a transfer ahead of time (I have back pain issues, so don’t want to take the People Mover/bus option)? Can anyone recommend a car service?

 

Any other suggestions I might not have thought of? Thanks for any help you can give.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have used Treviso car service twice and they have been excellent to deal with and very reliable.  As long as you dock on time and can leave at 7 you should be ok barring unforeseen complications, you need to arrive least three hours ahead at Marco Polo.  Do you have an option for a little later flight?  

 

I know I am cautious but we have experienced water bus strikes,  airline strikes, cancelled flights etc,  I love Italy, but it can be chaotic.  We find we breathe easier leaving early afternoon. 

 

The other option is a water taxi, right from the dock, although it will be very expensive, well over 100 euros,  it is a beautiful way to leave Venice!  But there is about a five or ten minute walk from the dock at Marco Polo.  And I am not sure it will be any quicker.  

Edited by bennybear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We have used Treviso car service twice and they have been excellent to deal with and very reliable.  As long as you dock on time and can leave at 7 you should be ok barring unforeseen complications, you need to arrive least three hours ahead at Marco Polo.  Do you have an option for a little later flight?  

 

I know I am cautious but we have experienced water bus strikes,  airline strikes, cancelled flights etc,  I love Italy, but it can be chaotic.  We find we breathe easier leaving early afternoon. 

 

The other option is a water taxi, right from the dock, although it will be very expensive, well over 100 euros,  it is a beautiful way to leave Venice!  But there is about a five or ten minute walk from the dock at Marco Polo.  And I am not sure it will be any quicker.  

 

Thank you for your response! We already have our flights booked. I am not worried about docking time, as we arrive the day before and are in port overnight. I don’t think we need to worry about a ship being an entire day late?

 

I think we would prefer the land taxi option, as a water taxi would be much more expensive, takes much longer, and doesn’t arrive right at the airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look around, you will see many threads on this topic. In general, taxis will not be standing by, so transport should be pre-arranged.

 

Venice is not a well organized airport. 7am would probably be about the latest I would departing the pier, particularly if your flight is a direct to US flight, which you don't specify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you look around, you will see many threads on this topic. In general, taxis will not be standing by, so transport should be pre-arranged.

 

Venice is not a well organized airport. 7am would probably be about the latest I would departing the pier, particularly if your flight is a direct to US flight, which you don't specify.

 

I had looked, but didn’t find anything specific to a cruise that was overnight, hence my starting a new thread.

 

The initial leg of our journey is to Frankfurt, but we had planned to be at the airport 3 hours early anyways, since I have read that Venice airport is not well organized. Do you think that is enough time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CruiserMickey said:

 

The initial leg of our journey is to Frankfurt, but we had planned to be at the airport 3 hours early anyways, since I have read that Venice airport is not well organized. Do you think that is enough time?

 

It is enough time. The check-in lines for specific flights sometimes do not even open until 2 hours ahead. But what happens is that everyone arrives early and gets in line -- so by the time you get there (if you wait until the 2-hour window), you'll be at the end of a long check-in line. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

It is enough time. The check-in lines for specific flights sometimes do not even open until 2 hours ahead. But what happens is that everyone arrives early and gets in line -- so by the time you get there (if you wait until the 2-hour window), you'll be at the end of a long check-in line. 

 

 

 

Thanks for confirming the timing! I am hoping that because we are flying Business Class (first time, so I am unfamiliar with the perks) that the checkin line might not be so long. We’ll go early anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we had an overnight on the ship in Venice there were reps for the taxi/limo companies outside the terminal taking reservations for the next day when we returned to the ship on the first day. Worked well for us. 

 

We have also used Eliteautonoleggi.it for transfers when we did not have an overnight. Great service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, rdt10 said:

When we had an overnight on the ship in Venice there were reps for the taxi/limo companies outside the terminal taking reservations for the next day when we returned to the ship on the first day. Worked well for us. 

 

We have also used Eliteautonoleggi.it for transfers when we did not have an overnight. Great service.

 

Thanks for that info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tbenson81 said:

Water taxi to airport is pretty simple and easy also. 14 Euro a person. Just throwing out another option

 

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/tickets/fares

 

 

 

Thanks for the suggestion!  I am looking for a quicker, more direct route to the airport. I wish I had the time and the physical capability of doing the longer, more scenic route, but unfortunately I don’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have noted, almost every airline at Marco Polo opened their agent desks 3 hours prior to take off so if you are there any earlier (and need to check bags) you will likely be sitting around until then. We were there last month and getting off the ship at 7am would probably be perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tbenson81 said:

As others have noted, almost every airline at Marco Polo opened their agent desks 3 hours prior to take off so if you are there any earlier (and need to check bags) you will likely be sitting around until then. We were there last month and getting off the ship at 7am would probably be perfect.

 

Thank you for that confirmation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, tbenson81 said:

Water taxi to airport is pretty simple and easy also. 14 Euro a person. Just throwing out another option

 

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/tickets/fares

 

 

That is NOT the water taxi, that is the water bus. Taxi is private to you, costs a LOT  more, bus makes many stops and takes far longer. Also, I don't believe you are allowed to take checked bags on the water bus. Taxi luggage is ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

That is NOT the water taxi, that is the water bus. Taxi is private to you, costs a LOT  more, bus makes many stops and takes far longer. Also, I don't believe you are allowed to take checked bags on the water bus. Taxi luggage is ok.

 

You are correct in part:  Alilaguna is a sort of specialized water bus that only covers certain routes -- one of them being the port to the airport. Not the same thing as a private water taxi.

 

However I think you are also confusing Alilaguna with the other "normal" water bus service: the vaporetti. You are allowed to take luggage on Alilaguna, particularly on their airport route; they expect it. Even on the vaporetti you are nominally allowed one bag (suitcase) per person and there is a bag rack, usually in the center of the boat close to the entrance/exit. However, you may get the stink-eye if you are loaded down with luggage during rush hour or other busy times of service on the vaporetti.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Alilaguna makes  stops and is a lot longer,  depending on where you leave from.   It is different than the Atvo water buses and different than the private water taxis.  

I would honestly prebook a car service for the quickest most reasonable transfer. There are also airport buses but you said you didn’t wish to deal with the people mover and schlepping luggage. 

 

Business class will help with checkin lines and Security as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry the "water bus" (thats why I included the link for the poster so there was no confusion). All of the information is there. Routes, lines, prices, timetables etc. Point is the alilaguna is also a nice option to get to the airport. At 14 euro a person, it is a bargain as well. If you pick this up at one of the last stops (orange line) - Guglie for example (15 min walk from cruise terminal) you will be to the airport in less than 55 minutes total including walking. A cab takes 20 with no traffic per google maps so taxi is only about 30 minutes quicker if you catch the water bus at one of the last stops. There is an element of charm about leaving Venice on the water vs a boring taxi as well. We pack pretty light and it was nice to walk a little on our last morning through the streets of Venice one last time. Just throwing out another option for the original poster. We did the same thing last year, we were off the ship, walked to Guglie, water BUS to Marco in less than an hour total travel time. As far as not being able to take luggage on the water bus, that is  completely inaccurate. It was filled to the brim with large checked suitcases. Everyone has different preferences and mobility but the alilaguna is a very a nice option especially for those who extend their stay in Venice at the various hotels around the city.

Edited by tbenson81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...