Drink Package

vermonter16

DH and I have never sailed Holland America and have been fairly avid Celebrity fans.  We always get the drink package so it is more like an all inclusive.  We went on a Princess cruise once and was very disappointed with the package.  I could not get a can of soda at a bar and had to go to the Lido if I wanted a soda which I found very annoying - and the ginger ale I was getting didn't taste like Ginger Ale AT ALL.  I had my friends taste it, my spouse taste it - but because I had the package, they simply would not give me a can.  Also, if I wanted a double shot, I was unable to get it - this was annoying because we like to spend time on our balcony and I like to sip my drink and read - not go back out to a bar and wait for another drink.  Is Holland like Princess in this regard?  I know it may not seem like a big deal to many but the convenience factor is a big deal for me.  I would like very much to consider HAL because I like the fact that there is a priest on board and I can attend daily Mass - and this would work out great for me if HAL could become a contender.

1 minute ago, vermonter16 said:

DH and I have never sailed Holland America and have been fairly avid Celebrity fans.  We always get the drink package so it is more like an all inclusive.  We went on a Princess cruise once and was very disappointed with the package.  I could not get a can of soda at a bar and had to go to the Lido if I wanted a soda which I found very annoying - and the ginger ale I was getting didn't taste like Ginger Ale AT ALL.  I had my friends taste it, my spouse taste it - but because I had the package, they simply would not give me a can.  Also, if I wanted a double shot, I was unable to get it - this was annoying because we like to spend time on our balcony and I like to sip my drink and read - not go back out to a bar and wait for another drink.  Is Holland like Princess in this regard?  I know it may not seem like a big deal to many but the convenience factor is a big deal for me.  I would like very much to consider HAL because I like the fact that there is a priest on board and I can attend daily Mass - and this would work out great for me if HAL could become a contender.

The Beverage package on HAL includes up to 15 alcoholic drinks and unlimited non alcoholic.

You should be able to get a soda at any bar.  I certainly have 😉 

I believe you can get a double shot - they simply count it as 2 drinks.  Do wait for others to chime in and confirm though as that’s just my experience.

I often got Clamato juice and tonic at the bar closest to our cabin and never had a problem 😉 

And I wouldn't mind that a double shot is 2 drinks - wouldn't bother me one bit.  It was just one of those things that bugged me not being able to get.  A lot of people enjoyed Princess - we were on with Travel Agent friends and she said service was terrible.  But, based on that one cruise I will never sail Princess even though people say it is similar to Celebrity - for us, it was just a bad cruise and our TA said she was shocked as well.  I only bring this up because HAL falls under Carnival Corp and that's why HAL concerns me.

No problem with cans of soda, 500 ml bottles of water (as many as you want), and double (or triple) shots.   They just count for 2  (or 3) of your daily 15 allotment.   The cans of soda and water, plus specialty coffees are unlimited and do not count in your 15 drink tally.

• 2 months later...

Jumping onto this thread... First time on HAL and trying to understand how their drink packages work.  To purchase drink package online ahead of the cruise, the website indicates that all adults in the same cabin must purchase the drink package.  Does this same restriction apply to packages purchased on-board as well? My DH might have a specialty tea or two and perhaps a beer with lunch, which is hardly worth getting a package.  I might just about break even since I like to have several coffees throughout the day, pre-dinner drink, wine with dinner and then perhaps a cocktail during a show. I just like to have it because it makes my vacation 'feel' all inclusive.  But we will never get anywhere close to the cost of two drink packages - so unless I can purchase solo, it is probably a no-go for us.

6 minutes ago, DaisyFire said:

Jumping onto this thread... First time on HAL and trying to understand how their drink packages work.  To purchase drink package online ahead of the cruise, the website indicates that all adults in the same cabin must purchase the drink package.  Does this same restriction apply to packages purchased on-board as well? My DH might have a specialty tea or two and perhaps a beer with lunch, which is hardly worth getting a package.  I might just about break even since I like to have several coffees throughout the day, pre-dinner drink, wine with dinner and then perhaps a cocktail during a show. I just like to have it because it makes my vacation 'feel' all inclusive.  But we will never get anywhere close to the cost of two drink packages - so unless I can purchase solo, it is probably a no-go for us.

Sorry, both both adults do need to purchase the package whether you book on line or on board.  I have heard of exceptions being made for a valid medical reason supported by documentation.

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry, both both adults do need to purchase the package whether you book on line or on board.  I have heard of exceptions being made for a valid medical reason supported by documentation.

Thanks for confirming!  I guess we just go a la carte for this cruise. 🙂

We are avid Princess cruisers and are trying out HAL in April aboard the Koningsdam.  My experience with anytime we've had the beverage package through Princess has been great.  While we never ask/look for cans of soda at a bar,  we do get bottles of water there anytime we want and I've never had an issue getting doubles poured.  They just mark you down for two drinks......always get a double pour when I'm smoking my cigar.

5 hours ago, Qcruise said:

We are avid Princess cruisers and are trying out HAL in April aboard the Koningsdam.  My experience with anytime we've had the beverage package through Princess has been great.  While we never ask/look for cans of soda at a bar,  we do get bottles of water there anytime we want and I've never had an issue getting doubles poured.  They just mark you down for two drinks......always get a double pour when I'm smoking my cigar.

Same on HAL.   Cans of soda and bottles of water, plus specialty coffees are unlimited.   Doubles of any mixed drink are fine, they just count as 2 of your daily 15.   Drinks that contain multiple types of alcohol, like the Long Island Ice Tea, still count as one drink.   Unless you can handle a double Long Island Ice Tea.  In that case, it's 2 drinks on your total and more power to you.