Help. Packing for my 2nd cruise ever and suitcase is filling up fast.

katmu

My friend and I are flying out on Thursday to FLL for our Western Caribbean cruise on the Sky Princess that leaves on Saturday for 7 nights.  I get free checked bags on Delta but I was trying to keep it to 1 medium size roller (24”) and a small underwear bag.  We will have 2 formal nights and 5 nights that are “smart casual” which I took to mean not jeans and maybe more like a dress or nice top and pants.  That plus my day clothes and swimsuits and the bag is almost full.  It seems like a lot more than I’m used to packing for other international trips where I usually go carry-on only.

12 minutes ago, katmu said:

We will have 2 formal nights and 5 nights that are “smart casual”

When we used to 'do' formal I'd wear a long black, flowy skirt and a not quite tunic-length top of the same fabric. And I accessorized them with vintage jewelry and a scarf. For the latter I'd just do two or three outfits and mix them up. No dresses. I've told this story before. One day I played a little game and tried to remember what anyone I worked with had worn the day before. Couldn't remember a single one 🙂 For our upcoming trip I'm taking two long (below calf) skirts,navy and black. And a pair of white knit not quite leggings and to the ankle. All with long tops.  For 12 days. But, I tell ya, with all the non-clothes things each of is still close to 50#. Course we're also doing pre and post. Have fun.

• Like 1

Pick a color palette. I normally do black, white & cobalt blue ( or hot pink). Everything mix matches. Two bathing suits (sometimes 3),one coverup, water shoes, flip flops & one dress pair of shoes (goes with everything).  Makeup in contact lens cases, travel size shampoo/conditioner, travel size mascara. 

• Like 2

Mix & match, re-wear. Do a packing list/plan your outfits (if you mix & match within a palette that works for you, you will have enough flexibility to not have to wear exactly what you've planned out...) I typically can wear 1 bottom per 3 tops and 1-2 toppers (cardigan, wrap).  I haven't done formal night in ages (we sail lines that tend to be country club casual or formal optional...) though I still wear dresses (closer to "sundress" than "cocktail dress") but there's no reason except for your own desires to pack different outfits. Last year we did a "formal optional" line and I brought a lovely black knit tank dress (st john, not Columbia -those are day dresses 😉 - knee length - with different accessories for evenings. Wore it at least twice, possibly 3 times....

• Like 3

16 hours ago, katmu said:

My friend and I are flying out on Thursday to FLL for our Western Caribbean cruise on the Sky Princess that leaves on Saturday for 7 nights.  I get free checked bags on Delta but I was trying to keep it to 1 medium size roller (24”) and a small underwear bag.  We will have 2 formal nights and 5 nights that are “smart casual” which I took to mean not jeans and maybe more like a dress or nice top and pants.  That plus my day clothes and swimsuits and the bag is almost full.  It seems like a lot more than I’m used to packing for other international trips where I usually go carry-on only.

katmu: in case you aren’t aware, Princess does have self-service laundry on each floor. Cost is about $3/load, whether Washington or dry; use your Medallion to obtain the tokens at the vending machine on the wall in the laundry. They also sell laundry detergent, etc. but far cheaper to just bring what you need from home. I put a couple of laundry pods into an empty cardboard roll then the roll into a zipper plastic bag; have never had a problem with the pods breaking in my checked bag. If you like dryer sheets, put a couple into a zipper bag too. The cost of the tokens will be charged to your shipboard account.

We’ll be on Sky a couple of weeks after you. For formal nights: I have a dressy jumpsuit worn as a jumper over a sheer blouse; jumpsuit has chiffon “drapey” pieces that give a flowing look. For the other formal: velvet narrow pants and dressy top. On the other nights: I’ll wear the velvet pants but with more casual tops; the tops can be worn again during the day with shorts/capris.

Do know that if you choose to dine in any of the specialty restaurants (extra cost), World Fresh Market (buffet), or Alfredos (free) then you can dress more casually, even on a formal night. We still do smart casual for specialty restaurants but jeans or shorts, even in the evening, are just fine in buffet or Alfredos if you wish.

You may see people not following the formal/smart casual dress code (we have) but for us, we prefer sticking closer to the suggested attire.

Enjoy the new ship and your cruise!!!

• Like 3

Thank you all.  I'm going to go home and try to cut down on the number of dresses, since they are already in mostly the same color palette with the exception of the one cocktail dress for formal night.

• Like 1

Hi, everyone has their own way of packing. I travel solo and I bring one checked bag and 1 carry on. Everything fits

for a 7 night cruise in both without any issues.  My checked bag is 25in so not "giant"....the carry on is a 21 inch.

Hope you have a fun cruise:classic_smile:

And, remember, the is no law that says you must pack a different outfit for each "formal" night!  If I had to dress up for a formal night, I bring the same thing, but just change up a scarf or jewelry.  

And, there is no law that says you cannot wear anything twice!  If you do it at home, you can do it on a cruise...

I'm just another carry on traveler...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, katmu said:

Thank you all.  I'm going to go home and try to cut down on the number of dresses, since they are already in mostly the same color palette with the exception of the one cocktail dress for formal night.

Wonderful , when you return let us know how things went on Sky Princess.

Edited by c-boy

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back home from a wonderful week on the Sky Princess.  I ended up wearing everything I packed except my 3rd swimsuit and 1 shirt do overall I’m pretty pleased.  I think the 2 dresses for formal night were about right as there were a fair number of people on our cruise who were pretty formal, including more men in tuxedos than I would have expected.

We both really loved the Sky Princess as I think it has a nice mix of traditional and contemporary design.  We had nice weather most of the week and only a few short showers in Roatan.

• Like 4

Depending on what you have planned for daytime activities and how much you're trying to pack for those, there's a good chance you can reduce day clothes significantly.  I remember my very first cruise....I had so many daytime outfits that I never wore because I spent most of the time in pool attire.  If you're like many, who go to the pool (or on a beach/boat excursion of some kind) after breakfast, you can probably wear a single pair of shorts and 1 or 2 tanks/tees to get you through breakfast the entire week and then spend the rest of your time in pool attire.  I mean, if you're only wearing actual "clothes" for an hour or two each morning/afternoon, do you really need 7 shorts and 7 tops?   As for swimwear, I remember a couple of years ago someone posted on here asking questions about reducing her packing.  In listing what she was bringing she had something like 7 different swimsuits, with a different cover up for each, and I think nearly as many different pairs of flip flops!  It's always good to take 2 swimsuits in case one doesn't quite dry by the next day, but I usually manage with just two, and a single cover up and 1 pair of flip flops that work with each.  Obviously, if you have a lot of sightseeing or non-water related adventure type excursions planned, you'd need more shorts etc. but think about how you'll spend your days and you might be able to reduce that portion of your wardrobe a good bit.

56 minutes ago, katmu said:

I’m back home from a wonderful week on the Sky Princess.  I ended up wearing everything I packed except my 3rd swimsuit and 1 shirt do overall I’m pretty pleased.  I think the 2 dresses for formal night were about right as there were a fair number of people on our cruise who were pretty formal, including more men in tuxedos than I would have expected.

We both really loved the Sky Princess as I think it has a nice mix of traditional and contemporary design.  We had nice weather most of the week and only a few short showers in Roatan.

Outstanding !   great to read your report. Have you booked another cruise adventure ?

Edited by c-boy

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

Outstanding !   great to read your report. Have you booked another cruise adventure ?

I booked what Princess calls a future cruise deposit that’s good for any cruise in the next 2 years to earn extra OBC.  I’m trying to decide between another Caribbean next December, or a 7 day Mediterranean from Rome to Athens on the sister ship to the Sky in April 2021.

I forgot to mention that since we had a few days in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise, we did end up doing laundry on the ship once about halfway through.  I think depending which cruise I pick for next time, and how long the pre and post cruise stays are, I might be able to streamline my packing a bit more knowing that there is laundry available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katmu said:

I might be able to streamline my packing a bit more knowing that there is laundry available.

On Princess, there is. Other lines -- should you switch in the future -- there may or may not be self-serve laundry. But of course, there is always ship's laundry!

TA is booking the next cruise today.  I will have plenty of time to plan my packing this time since it's 5/1/2021 on the not yet completed Enchanted Princess.  It will be a 7 night from Athens to Barcelona, with stops in Kotor, Santorini, Naples and Messina with a few days pre and post cruise in both Athens and Barcelona.  Very excited!!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:50 PM, katmu said:

TA is booking the next cruise today.  I will have plenty of time to plan my packing this time since it's 5/1/2021 on the not yet completed Enchanted Princess.  It will be a 7 night from Athens to Barcelona, with stops in Kotor, Santorini, Naples and Messina with a few days pre and post cruise in both Athens and Barcelona.  Very excited!!

Awesome!  We are cruising Sept 2020 starting in Venice and ending in Barcelona.  Getting in 3 days in Venice then 2 days in Barcelona after the cruise.  We will be porting in Kotor, Naples and Messina as well.  I'm trying to plan my wardrobe, accommodating the churches (no bare shoulders or knees) and the whole different vibe of an European cruise as opposed to a Caribbean cruises, which has been my only cruising experience.  These boards have given me a lot of insight!

I’m planning to wear either dresses than cover my shoulders and are at least slightly below knee length or Capri pants if not full length pants.  The weather in early May won’t be quite as hot as if I was sailing in July or August.

i also discovered unfortunately on my last cruise that some people tend to stare at the scars and lympadema wrap I have to wear on my right leg so I may want to keep my leg covered.

3 hours ago, katmu said:

i also discovered unfortunately on my last cruise that some people tend to stare at the scars and lympadema wrap I have to wear on my right leg so I may want to keep my leg covered.

It's your call, but I say let them stare -- be as comfortable as you can! My sister also wears a lymphadema garment on right leg, and she tends to wear thin pants (she lives in the high desert) or longish skirts where the part that shows is not very noticeable.

I didn't know you also have to pack your wraps/leggings -- That *will* take up space in your suitcase! 

14 hours ago, clo said:

Generic website advice may or may not be the same as what's actually enforced, or not, at a particular place.  Hoyaheel's actual experience was not in accordance with what this website says.  Good general advice would be to plan for the strictest rules.  If it turns out to be more relaxed than that, it's a "no harm, no foul" situation.  Much better than assuming the more lax advice will be fine and then getting turned away.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Generic website advice may or may not be the same as what's actually enforced, or not, at a particular place.  Hoyaheel's actual experience was not in accordance with what this website says.  Good general advice would be to plan for the strictest rules.  If it turns out to be more relaxed than that, it's a "no harm, no foul" situation.  Much better than assuming the more lax advice will be fine and then getting turned away.

That's true. But when my actual experience differed from theirs - a scarf was fine - is why I cited what I did. But I don't wear sleeveless tops anywhere 🙂