New vegan menu questions

kjbacon

Just read over the new vegan menu and I’m so impressed! When searching the boards, I read some things that make me question if you have to order in advance for this menu? None of us are completely vegan but to varying degrees, we eat very little meat so vegan options are so welcome. Any clarification on advance ordering is most appreciated. One of our travel mates has a mushroom allergy and it’s obvious on the menu that several selections have mushrooms in them but does anyone know how prevalent mushroom are on some of the other dishes? Some of the things that I know she would love (provided there’s no mushrooms) would be the Vietnamese rice paper rolls, vegetable pho, Moroccan spiced kebabs, tempura veggie tacos, and the pad Thai noodles. Has anyone had any of these dishes? And one more thing, and apologies if this is not the best thread for this question, but is there an everyday menu with basics available such as a chicken breast or a salmon filet?

Hi, since one of your mates has a food allergy, you can contact special needs ahead of time. However, the best course of action is to go to the MDR upon embarkation and tell them of the allergy. The person with the allergy can choose their meal ahead of time, usually at noon for the dinner service.

They will also ensure that the meal is prepared in an area that is free from cross contamination.

The vegan options from the main menu are also clearly marked on that menu by the initials VO.  That has worked well for me as I did not want to eat heavy food all the time.  The Restaurant Manager is the best person to ask for at the podium at the entrance to the main dining room

I had it four times I think. I asked  in Prime C for a copy. I kept in the cabin. So the next   Night  before pre order as I was in Prime C. The spicy bean burger was great.

hear you could get it nightly in MDR

3 hours ago, ellbon said:

I had it four times I think. I asked  in Prime C for a copy. I kept in the cabin. So the next   Night  before pre order as I was in Prime C. The spicy bean burger was great.

hear you could get it nightly in MDR

Thanks for that. I didn’t see the menu in Discoveries and didn’t ask about it, but from what you say it’s there but you need to ask.

18 minutes ago, john1970 said:

We viewed it in the MDR and then picked what we wanted for the next night. There was also vegan options on the regular menu if you wanted to be less regimented.

Thanks for that. I will add this information to the ‘Tips for Azamara Newbies’ topic.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, kjbacon said:

And one more thing, and apologies if this is not the best thread for this question, but is there an everyday menu with basics available such as a chicken breast or a salmon filet?

Aren't these items on the "Always Available" portion of the regular dining room menu?

1 hour ago, NC&KY said:

Aren't these items on the "Always Available" portion of the regular dining room menu?

Yes, they are part of the main menu and are on the menu every day - prawn cocktail, escargots, french onion soup (and another I think), chicken breast, salmon, New York strip steak, crepe brûlée and other desserts.

No other soup but Caesar salad and for desserts cheesecake with a choice of strawberry raspberry or chocolate topping is always available. 
Ive seen guests using the vegan menu this cruise and not pre ordering 

10 hours ago, uktog said:

No other soup but Caesar salad and for desserts cheesecake with a choice of strawberry raspberry or chocolate topping is always available. 
Ive seen guests using the vegan menu this cruise and not pre ordering 

Thanks for that uktog. I knew there were a couple of things missing, but just couldn’t remember what they were. Also good to know you can order from the vegan menu on the day.

There were always vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and sugar free selections on the menu.   My husband and I had to be careful to avoid some of those selections.  The gluten free pasta, bread, and sugar free desserts we found inedible.   They also had low fat and sugar free Gelato.   Azamara supplies many choices for those on restrictive diets.

10 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

There were always vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and sugar free selections on the menu.   My husband and I had to be careful to avoid some of those selections.  The gluten free pasta, bread, and sugar free desserts we found inedible.   They also had low fat and sugar free Gelato.   Azamara supplies many choices for those on restrictive diets.

Inedible doesn’t sound very inviting. Do you think that gf and sugar free items aren’t to your taste or do you feel that Azamara did a bad job on those items? 

I ate several of the sugar free desserts and I had them out of choice, not for dietary reasons- they certainly weren’t inedible quite the opposite- and I believe that was on the same ship at the same time 

5 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Inedible doesn’t sound very inviting. Do you think that gf and sugar free items aren’t to your taste or do you feel that Azamara did a bad job on those items? 

They work fine for me. Never had a problem and I tend to pick them if I like the look of them rather than dietary intolerances.  I love the gluten free financiers.

Phil

On Pursuit in the summer I regularly had dinner with 3 people with gluten intolerance. I don’t have that condition but the waiter just bought gluten free bread rolls for the whole table, so I tried them.

I must say I thought they were actually much better than the ordinary bread rolls! 

• Like 2

Gluten free and sugar free items can be a different texture and taste and while it’s not for some, they are often quite good. Our focus is more on the vegetarian/vegan aspect though and it sounds like there are many good choices, even if we don’t always plan ahead. The always available salmon option will work well for our group too.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Just wondering if escargots count as meat or not?

My vegetarian friends draw the line at “eating anything with a face“, so I’d say escargot definitely counts as an animal product, and not vegan or vegetarian-compatible! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1