Which city to tour on our own? Corfu or Split?

Hllb

Both are easy :classic_smile:

Split it’s a 10 to 20 minute (depending how far along you berth) harbour side walk from ship to Diocletian Palace in the old-town block.

Corfu it’s a ten minute bus ride from port to centre. Couple of nondescript castles but that’s about it, and plenty of shops and bars

JB :classic_smile:

Agree with JB that both of these ports are easy, depending on what you want to see and do there.

If you are only looking to do one on your own, I'd vote for Split. It is easy to get to the center of the town (which is built inside the remains of the palace of a retired Roman emperor), and once there, it is equally easy to find a walking tour of the palace remains, or just buy the various tickets for the portions you can visit (basements, temple, mausoleum) and do it on your own. There is a Tourist Info point in one of the shops that face the courtyard and they can help with specifics, give you maps, etc. There is also an archaeological museum and some nice restaurants with outdoor seating (if it's nice) and good food.

Corfu you can also do on your own, as JB says, but there is more to the island than just Corfu Town and given the large numbers of tourists that clog the town on some days, you may prefer to do a tour with a private driver or by bus that takes in some of the prettier and more natural parts of the island.  If you opt to stay in Corfu Town, there is also an archaeological museum and a very good icon museum located in an old church that many people miss.

• Like 1

As above, Split is incredibly easy to do yourself with minimal planning. read info and Tripadvisor before you go.

Also as above, I would recommend a shorex or taxi tour of some of Corfu.  It is a lovely island and you won't see the nicest spots if you stay in town.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 5:54 PM, Hllb said:

We are on a cruise in July '20.  I'm wondering if either of these cities is easier than the other to tour on your own.

Agree with the other posters that Corfu is very easy to DIY - and I am sure that Split is too,  Noticing that you are on your cruise in July, I don’t think that a day wandering around Corfu town is the best use of your time.   I would suggest that when you visit Corfu you might be looking to spend the day at one of the lovely beaches that so many Travellers visit the island for.  

I can’t recall if there were buses for the beach as we got off the ship, I feel that there must have been.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Agree with JB that both of these ports are easy, depending on what you want to see and do there.

If you are only looking to do one on your own, I'd vote for Split. It is easy to get to the center of the town (which is built inside the remains of the palace of a retired Roman emperor), and once there, it is equally easy to find a walking tour of the palace remains, or just buy the various tickets for the portions you can visit (basements, temple, mausoleum) and do it on your own. There is a Tourist Info point in one of the shops that face the courtyard and they can help with specifics, give you maps, etc. There is also an archaeological museum and some nice restaurants with outdoor seating (if it's nice) and good food.

Corfu you can also do on your own, as JB says, but there is more to the island than just Corfu Town and given the large numbers of tourists that clog the town on some days, you may prefer to do a tour with a private driver or by bus that takes in some of the prettier and more natural parts of the island.  If you opt to stay in Corfu Town, there is also an archaeological museum and a very good icon museum located in an old church that many people miss.

We have only 6 hours stop at Corfu on May 1st. So I try to choose between exploring just Corfu town or taking cruise 4hour scenic tour. Below is the tour description.  In this tour the town we'll see only from bus. What do you think is more interesting?

This enjoyable coach tour combines a visit to Corfu town with a leisurely drive through the olive groves, cypresses and pine trees that are so typical of the island's beautiful landscape. The first stop will be at the fabulous bay of Palaiokastritsa, where you will have some time to explore on your own after an initial guided tour of the area. A brief photo stop will be made the village of Lakones at the Golden Fox Café, whose stunning hillside location affords breathtaking views of Palaiokastritsa bay and has earned it the nickname of "God's Balcony" among the locals. After a break in the village of Lakones, you will return to Corfu for an enjoyable drive-by sightseeing tour of the town. The route will take you past the Garitsa Bay and the city's 14th-century old Venetian fortress, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The tour will also give you a chance to see the Spianada square, once used to drill Napoleon's army in the art of marching, the Royal Palace of St. George and St. Michael, the old port with its traditional caïque fishing boats. Your return to the port and your ship marks the end of your tour.

Please note: outside viewings only of all sights during the drive-by tour of Corfu town.

In this tour the town we'll see only from bus. What do you think is more interesting