HAL refuses to apply AMEX Platinum Benefits to our cruise

Cruzin Terri

Well, if nothing else,, it will wake up people to ask if the AMEX benefits apply before using the card.  My TA did not give it a second thought, nor did I.  I don’t blame her. I thought it was a given and so did she.  So a word to the wise.  i spoke to HAL today.  They were very nice but adamant that AMEX benefits do not apply to flash sales.  So there we are.

So maybe I need to rethink HAL and AMEX.  Never had this problem before or on Oceania.

Terri

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, if nothing else,, it will wake up people to ask if the AMEX benefits apply before using the card.  My TA did not give it a second thought, nor did I.  I don’t blame her. I thought it was a given and so did she.  So a word to the wise.  i spoke to HAL today.  They were very nice but adamant that AMEX benefits do not apply to flash sales.  So there we are.

So maybe I need to rethink HAL and AMEX.  Never had this problem before or on Oceania.

Terri

It's surprising, since they're pretty generous in applying the shareholder benefit to almost all fares. Of course, that is less than what you're talking about here, unless you have a long cruise.

I got an AMEX, platinum card just to get those benefits. However, just about all the cruises I've booked on HAL in the past 3 or 4 years, they don't apply because there is a special sale. As I am booking solo, and my TA has gotten me a great deal, I am OK with that. Usually I can get an AMEX offer, maybe 2, to help with the cruise price. Right now I have a TA booked in October with 2 amex offers to use, 1 saves me $, 1 gets me points. 

Ar

9 hours ago, sambamama said:

I got an AMEX, platinum card just to get those benefits. However, just about all the cruises I've booked on HAL in the past 3 or 4 years, they don't apply because there is a special sale. As I am booking solo, and my TA has gotten me a great deal, I am OK with that. Usually I can get an AMEX offer, maybe 2, to help with the cruise price. Right now I have a TA booked in October with 2 amex offers to use, 1 saves me $, 1 gets me points. 

Only AmExPlatinum cards   that stand on their own are eligible for the bes t benefits.  We  always had the card that was not associated with Costco or the like and we al ways  had all the benefits applied automatically.  Never an issue  on more than 100 cruises.  If you have a "Costco conneced c ard or such, check  with AmEx.  Your problem may b e there and Not HAL.  it should have a Very high yearly member ship fee.  I forget how much it is now up to.  probably in the annual  $700 or so range.

I suspect that might be the reason for the refusal of benefits.

Good luck,

Please let us know why you have been refused the benefits, once you know.

Edited by sail7seas

16 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Only AmExPlatinum cards   that stand on their own are eligible for the best benefits.  We  always had the card that was not associated with Costco or the like and we always  had all the benefits applied automatically.  Never an issue  on more than 100 cruises.  If you have a "Costco conneced card or such, check  with AmEx.  Your problem may b e there and Not HAL.  it should have a Very high yearly membership fee.  I forget how much it is now up to.  probably in the annual  $700 or so range.

I suspect that might be the reason for the refusal of benefits.

That is not the issue. They have the expensive AMEX Platinum card you described. And the Costco AMEX card went away several years ago when Costco went with Visa and Citibank.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

That is not the issue. They have the expensive AMEX Platinum card you described. And the Costco AMEX card went away several years ago when Costco went with Visa and Citibank

What are your thoughts as to why OP is being denied the  benefits?

I just got the Platinum Business Card 3 weeks ago, and immediately booked our Fall 2021 cruise, where the $300 onboard credit was applied. We also got the promo for free tips, and will eventually get shareholder benefits.  I didn't know that last minute fares didn't count, but I would keep in mind that the cruise line is liking footing at least part of that bill, which is why Amex only works with certain cruise lines.

The benefit is only for Platinum and Centurion Charge Card holders, the Delta Platinum is a completely different product.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:22 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, if nothing else,, it will wake up people to ask if the AMEX benefits apply before using the card.  My TA did not give it a second thought, nor did I.  I don’t blame her. I thought it was a given and so did she.  

You not knowing is forgivable, but for a professional being paid to do a job it is not.

Perhaps employing someone competent next time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, picsa said:

You not knowing is forgivable, but for a professional being paid to do a job it is not.

Perhaps employing someone competent next time.

My TA  is not AMEX Platinum but a very “competent professional.”  The last thing I would do is trash her. I have been with her for many years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. She has since made it right.

Terri

30 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

My TA  is not AMEX Platinum but a very “competent professional.”  The last thing I would do is trash her. I have been with her for many years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. She has since made it right.

Terri

A “competent professional” would have known what you have been advised here. They didn't.

"She has since made it right" - coughed up the $300 you were expecting?  

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, canadianbear said:

That’s a shame-I figured AMEX could go to bat for you.  Just because you book last minute shouldn’t make a difference.  I wouldn’t be impressed either especially since you’re in the Pinnacle.  Sorry this has happened. 

Have you been able to apply credits from Canadian card?  I have never been able to figure it out!?:)

The 2020 renewal fee for the Amex Plat is $550.   You get a $200 credit to use for some airline services and a generous annual Uber credit ($15/month + $20 in December) so the fee actually isn't that much if you use an airline or Uber.   And, they are now doing 5x points on airline flight purchases and hotels (hotels booked through amex travel) and trip interruption insurance.  I use all those credits each year, and I've used the $100 Global Entry credit twice now.  

• Like 1