"Tuba" drink in Puerto Vallarta - safe to drink ?

chanc

Our first trip to Mexico so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.  We have read about being careful with drinking the water in Mexico to avoid getting a stomach upset.  We are intrigued by the "tuba" drink from watching a YouTube video about Puerto Vallarta.  As this drink is sold by street vendors, how "safe" is it to drink the tuba ? 

thanks,

Chris

Hi,

We've been to Puerto Vallarta many times but not in summer so I had never heard of this "tuba" drink before now. We often go and sit in a beach restaurant and drink mango margaritas.

The tuba drink doesn't use water. It is coconut juice and vinegar so I don't see any problem with having it but according to Google it is a mostly summer drink. I have not seen it sold on the street in Puerto Vallarta when we've been there in the spring.

On 12/7/2019 at 5:32 AM, riffatsea said:

Hi,

We've been to Puerto Vallarta many times but not in summer so I had never heard of this "tuba" drink before now. We often go and sit in a beach restaurant and drink mango margaritas.

The tuba drink doesn't use water. It is coconut juice and vinegar so I don't see any problem with having it but according to Google it is a mostly summer drink. I have not seen it sold on the street in Puerto Vallarta when we've been there in the spring.

Thanks ! That's good to know because we are going in winter, so we may not be able to find it either. 

• 1 month later...

We’ve done vallartafoodtours three times, most recently New Years Day! And we stopped along the Malecon and the last “food” was tuba. I’ve had it twice on the food tour now and it’s interesting and a good cultural experience. Chunks of apple and walnuts too! I highly recommend the food tour which takes you to about a dozen food carts and vendors and explains a lot of culture and history of the area. Yummy too.

1 hour ago, kluv2cruz said:

We’ve done vallartafoodtours three times, most recently New Years Day! And we stopped along the Malecon and the last “food” was tuba. I’ve had it twice on the food tour now and it’s interesting and a good cultural experience. Chunks of apple and walnuts too! I highly recommend the food tour which takes you to about a dozen food carts and vendors and explains a lot of culture and history of the area. Yummy too.

This - I second it all (except we've only done VallartaFoodTours twice).  Tuba was interesting and refreshing, fermented from palm hearts if I remember correctly.  Vendor was selling it from what looked like a big clay jar near the beach/malecon.

• 2 weeks later...