HNL -> Waikiki -> POA and back without a car ?

pseudoware

Planning an inter-island on POA, flying in/out of HNL with likely two nights both pre and post cruise at a Waikiki hotel, possibly HHV or something more in the middle of Kalakaua Ave.

If we don't plan on venturing out to other parts to Oahu, is it feasible to rely on shuttles, buses, ride share etc to get to/from HNL, Waikiki and the cruise terminal?   I certainly won't miss the parking fees, but is it worth any logistical sacrifices?  Thanks.

We rented a car but considered not doing it and yes, it’s certainly doable. We used Hawaii 23 from airport to hotel and hotel to pier, took a Lyft to Diamond Head and airport on disembark day. If you’re not leaving Honolulu/Waikiki, you can get by without a car.

If you are not planning on going outside of the Honolulu/Waikiki area it is definitly better not to have a car.  I am not a fan of the bus, but taxis and uber/lift are great.  I know that many like the HHV but if you are walking everywhere a hotel more in the center of Waikiki might be better.  JMO  Cherie 

5 hours ago, pseudoware said:

If we don't plan on venturing out to other parts to Oahu, is it feasible to rely on shuttles, buses, ride share etc to get to/from HNL, Waikiki and the cruise terminal?   I certainly won't miss the parking fees, but is it worth any logistical sacrifices?  Thanks.

If you are just headed from the airport to Waikiki to the cruise terminal renting a car is madness. When we're in Honolulu these days we just Uber and it's cost effective, reliable, fast and you don't spend money on parking. 

We walked a lot in Waikiki but we are walkers.  HHV is about 2 miles from the  zoo but we walked because it was so easy / fun.  One little hiccup is that park between HHV & the Trump property which is a little seedy / desolate after dark. 

Best tip I ever got: use a navigation app on your phone but click the public transportation icon instead of the walker or the car.  It gives you the schedule for The Bus, their transportation system.  It was so easy & convenient.  We loved it.  We took the Bus to Pearl Harbor & to Diamond Head.  

Ride shares are also abundant & easy.   No need for a car or the big city parking fees & waiting around for the valet.