Medallion Net - Streaming Shows and Music???

cruisinsoooon

30 minutes ago, Haboob said:

Observations don't mean much unless you specify where they were made -- within 48º of the Equator (where fast-uplink satellites are available) or not.

it was a California coastal cruise and we were off the coast of Catalina island. We weren't in the middle of nowhere.

1 hour ago, Haboob said:

Observations don't mean much unless you specify where they were made -- within 48º of the Equator (where fast-uplink satellites are available) or not.

This was the Thanksgiving Cruise doing the Mexican Riviera, so definitely MEO territory. 

Yup, that was a similar download speed that I saw. I asked the Internet manager if there was a problem and he said that there wasn’t. I explained that I was seeing less than a meg and he explained that to preserve bandwidth, they were throttling speed tests. He also said that perhaps the website themselves were slow, but that didn’t apply in my case as I was trying to stream from my own sling box at home that has a 10meg uplink.

I, too, was trying to stream from a home server.  It would not stream.  It just locked up.  Worked fine yesterday before we sailed.  I had tried it on the WiFi before we left.  I think that maybe with everyone using the WiFi now, there isn’t enough bandwidth.  I am sure there were more than just me trying to stream other football games other than what was being shown onboard. 

The speeds on the Royal were so bad, that I had to resort to disabling WiFi when in port and using my own cellular data connection. Luckily, I have T-Mobile, so roaming data is free when in Mexico (calls and text too)

5 hours ago, Bollycats said:

it was a California coastal cruise and we were off the coast of Catalina island. We weren't in the middle of nowhere.

4 hours ago, polmcs said:

This was the Thanksgiving Cruise doing the Mexican Riviera, so definitely MEO territory. 

Yup.  Both definitely within the MEO footprint.

The other issue is that there are only a limited number of slots on the "O3b" constellation (the particular set of MEO satellites with the spiffy uplinks).  There are only «mumble» O3b's above the horizon at one time, and only 10 dishes per satellite to point at a ship or an Earth station.

Do a 'ping' test, and if you're seeing  >400ms, you're on a GEO satellite, not a MEO.   Bummer!

On 12/5/2019 at 8:50 PM, cruisinsoooon said:

We will be cruising in a few months, the first time with Medallion Net.  I’ve looked for experiences using Medallion Net for streaming shows and music, but haven’t been able to find discussions.  Princess says streaming will work for shows and music, but I’m a bit leary.  Has anybody REALLY been able to listen to streaming music such as Apple Music or XM Radio?  

I was on the Regal Princess from Dec 1st to the 8th. Had no problem using my slingbox to watch local news in the early morning and listen briefly to NY  WCBS 880 on the radio.com app

Read the New York Times at the International Cafe while enjoying the free best brewed regular coffee prior to 6AM while enjoying the apple turnovers and the banana nut bread.

Howard

20 hours ago, Haboob said:

Yup.  Both definitely within the MEO footprint.

The other issue is that there are only a limited number of slots on the "O3b" constellation (the particular set of MEO satellites with the spiffy uplinks).  There are only «mumble» O3b's above the horizon at one time, and only 10 dishes per satellite to point at a ship or an Earth station.

Do a 'ping' test, and if you're seeing  >400ms, you're on a GEO satellite, not a MEO.   Bummer!

I was in the sub 300ms range with my pings, so definitely routing via a MEO satellite, but still had awful download speeds. 

I agree the Medallion net on the new Sky was not all that is said to be.  I could stream on Netflix, but often got buffering.  Could not stream on Hulu there was not enough strength, for their requirements.   Music appear fined.  While we were on the transatlantic and had to switch satellite connections, we had no internet for the entire day, and there were many days, were it just dropped you altogether.

While it is better than the previous internet on speed most days, not always and still not great.  Reception was also hit or miss on the ship, even though it was built for Medallion net.  

Was on the ship for 28 days, after more than a half dozen visits to the tech experts, I just gave up...

On 12/15/2019 at 5:16 PM, polmcs said:

I was on the Royal over Thanksgiving and the speed was awful. Less than 1 meg. All efforts to stream ended in failure for me.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, Haboob said:

This should be easy for you ... which princess was not in O3b coverage over thanksgiving?

Where was Royal princess?

I actually think you're just a bot.  Any time there is a reference to wifi, speed, or internet, yoou post random words about satellites, o3b, etc. ...

Relentlessly.

As a courtesy to the gentle readers here, maybe the bot-owner could turn up the latency a bit...