Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TYTY

Puffins in Iceland

Recommended Posts

Looking for tours to see puffins, any recommendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, that would help 😁 we're going to Reykjavik and Akureyri, end of July/beginning August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TYTY said:

Oh yeah, that would help 😁 we're going to Reykjavik and Akureyri, end of July/beginning August.

 

The best place that we saw puffins was in # 1 Seydisfjordur Iceland , #2 Lerwick , Shetland Islands and # 3 Reykjavik .

 

 

IMG_5247%202_zps3so1z6wr.jpg

 

IMG_5374_zpsanjplctj.jpg

 

IMG_5266_zpsjuzyd5xi.jpg

 

IMG_5209%202_zpsliiixcst.jpg

 

IMG_5125%202_zpsfth1wjo2.jpg

 

IMG_5176%202_zps5v6tlctn.jpg

 

In Reykjavik there is an island about a mile or 2 from the cruise port where we went . We went on a windy bumpy day and it was hard to get close to the island to get a good shot . The other 2 sites were on land .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw Puffins just west of Vik and in Latrabjarg.  We didn't enjoy the Reykjavik island tour as much as all the Puffins there were flying or swimming, hard to see them well

P1010255.thumb.JPG.7676698c9e4fab07560cd8b26cb96eb0.JPG

IMG_2541.thumb.JPG.351f0f9e173181f71d56f4f19e159c46.JPG

P1010281.JPG

P1010658.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting- I fell in love with puffins in Alaska. 

 

Any chance of seeing any in Norway in early June (Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger, or Stavanger)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, katrina915 said:

Thanks for posting- I fell in love with puffins in Alaska. 

 

Any chance of seeing any in Norway in early June (Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger, or Stavanger)?

 

You can see them at Runde Bird Island from Alesund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

You can see them at Runde Bird Island from Alesund

Is it pretty close to port? We already have an excursion booked but maybe this is something we can do on our own if it's not too far away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 7:35 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

The best place that we saw puffins was in # 1 Seydisfjordur Iceland , #2 Lerwick , Shetland Islands and # 3 Reykjavik .

 

 

IMG_5374_zpsanjplctj.jpg

 

 

 

In Reykjavik there is an island about a mile or 2 from the cruise port where we went . We went on a windy bumpy day and it was hard to get close to the island to get a good shot . The other 2 sites were on land .

 

 

Could you please tell me what month you took these photos? I'll be in Reykjavik in September. Wondering if that's a good time to see the puffins. Also, we arrive at 2pm with an overnight. I have a day trip the next day so I hope I can get this in in the afternoon of our arrival. Did you book via a tour company? 

 

Thanks,

 

Monica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

 

Could you please tell me what month you took these photos? I'll be in Reykjavik in September. Wondering if that's a good time to see the puffins. Also, we arrive at 2pm with an overnight. I have a day trip the next day so I hope I can get this in in the afternoon of our arrival. Did you book via a tour company? 

 

Thanks,

 

Monica

 

We took our photos in June . I think that most of the puffins will have left their nests by September . We used Special Tours in Reykjavik and they picked us up at the port .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw a good number of puffins in Vigur, loved that tour.  But saw so many more on our own in Latrabjarg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 4:36 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

You can see them at Runde Bird Island from Alesund

Is it pretty close to port? We already have an excursion booked but maybe this is something we can do on our own if it's not too far away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Is it pretty close to port? We already have an excursion booked but maybe this is something we can do on our own if it's not too far away.

Take a look at a map: as bird flies the distance between Runde and Ålesund may not look that long (27 km or so), but once you must take land based transportation (including crossing some waterways) it is not that short anymore: for example Here WeGo lists the following times for various transportation modes between Ålesund and Runde (the exact locations are not the cruise port and bird cliffs, but for demonstration purposes this shouldn't matter) one way: public transport 2 h 8 mins, car 2 h 15 mins, bicycle 9 h 15 mins, walking 21 h 12 mins. Some sort of fast boat ride might get there somewhat faster, but I think you can forget a quick visit and wish that your ship will sail past Runde reasonably close when going to/from Ålesund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

We took our photos in June . I think that most of the puffins will have left their nests by September .

If I  have understood correctly most puffins leave their breeding sites around mid-August, so in September if you want to see a puffin, you need a lot of luck and vigilant eyes since spotting one while they are wintering at the sea is somewhat similar to the classic haystack and needle challenge...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hezu said:

If I  have understood correctly most puffins leave their breeding sites around mid-August,

 

18 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

I'll be in Reykjavik in September. Wondering if that's a good time to see the puffins.

 I did visit several puffin breeding locations in Iceland mid August 2019 (week of August 12)  did not see any puffins. Puffins does spend the winter at sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 9:23 PM, cruises42 said:

Is it pretty close to port? We already have an excursion booked but maybe this is something we can do on our own if it's not too far away.

 

4 hours ago, Hezu said:

Take a look at a map: as bird flies the distance between Runde and Ålesund may not look that long (27 km or so), but once you must take land based transportation (including crossing some waterways) it is not that short anymore: for example Here WeGo lists the following times for various transportation modes between Ålesund and Runde (the exact locations are not the cruise port and bird cliffs, but for demonstration purposes this shouldn't matter) one way: public transport 2 h 8 mins, car 2 h 15 mins, bicycle 9 h 15 mins, walking 21 h 12 mins. Some sort of fast boat ride might get there somewhat faster, but I think you can forget a quick visit and wish that your ship will sail past Runde reasonably close when going to/from Ålesund.

 

My ship has an excursion like this one in Alesund- an RIB wildlife tour:

https://www.visitalesund.com/things-to-do/wildlife-sea-safari-p789873

Edited by katrina915

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hezu said:

Take a look at a map: as bird flies the distance between Runde and Ålesund may not look that long (27 km or so), but once you must take land based transportation (including crossing some waterways) it is not that short anymore: for example Here WeGo lists the following times for various transportation modes between Ålesund and Runde (the exact locations are not the cruise port and bird cliffs, but for demonstration purposes this shouldn't matter) one way: public transport 2 h 8 mins, car 2 h 15 mins, bicycle 9 h 15 mins, walking 21 h 12 mins. Some sort of fast boat ride might get there somewhat faster, but I think you can forget a quick visit and wish that your ship will sail past Runde reasonably close when going to/from Ålesund.

Thanks. It sounds like it won't be possible after doing our excursion.

12 hours ago, katrina915 said:

 

 

My ship has an excursion like this one in Alesund- an RIB wildlife tour:

https://www.visitalesund.com/things-to-do/wildlife-sea-safari-p789873

Unfortunately our ship is not offering many excursions and not one like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Where can you see Puffins in Seydisfjordur in July? Also wondered about Lewick. thanks

 

We took the Puffins , Elves and more tour with Wild Westfjords

 

https://www.wildwestfjords.com/shore_excursions/Puffins_Elves_more_-_Private_Tour/

 

It's about an hour or 2 away from the port 

 

DSC08513%202_zpsbziz6n1w.jpg

 

IMG_0261%202_zpsbgnfszsh.jpg

 

On the other side you could see the puffins fishing in the water

 

 

IMG_5120%203_zpsmdd4wcvb.jpg

 

In Lerwick we hired a Taxi who took us to the Sumburgh Lighthouse

 

 

IMG_0735%202_zpsoxjmt3s9.jpg

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumburgh_Head_Lighthouse

 

We could see them gliding in the windy conditions

 

 

IMG_7012%203_zpspuhjxovh.jpg

 

 

They also have a Puffin Cam there

 

  • IMG_7200%202_zps0qluzdev.jpg

 

https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/cliff-cam-2/

 

 

IMG_7111%202_zpshcibttok.jpg

 

Don't forget to see the Shetland Ponies while you're there .

 

 

IMG_6954%202_zps8ky5rspz.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...