Hehe - anyone sleep on their balcony?

Elusive_Cruiser

Currently in Fort Lauderdale, pre-cruise, for a couple of days.  Very happy that we scored a good rate on a suite... the most important reason?  When my DH snores, at home, I frequently go to the couch in the living room - so now, I can do that here as well!  What do I do when on the cruise?  Well, of course, just go curl up, with a blankie (that I bring!) on the veranda!  It's actually one of the few reasons that we book Concierge Class... the reclining chair, with footstool and a few cushions, makes a pretty comfy bed, plus I get the benefit of listening to the wonderful ocean sounds as the ship sails through the night!  In the Caribbean, the nighttime temperatures are perfect for a great sleep!

Anyone else? 🙂

• Like 1

One afternoon I slept out on our IV on The Edge as my spouse was watching TV...

I just shut the doors, opened the window and found it quite peaceful and quiet....

Not an all nighter, yet... 😎

bonsoir and bon voyage

9 hours ago, Elusive_Cruiser said:

Currently in Fort Lauderdale, pre-cruise, for a couple of days.  Very happy that we scored a good rate on a suite... the most important reason?  When my DH snores, at home, I frequently go to the couch in the living room - so now, I can do that here as well!  What do I do when on the cruise?  Well, of course, just go curl up, with a blankie (that I bring!) on the veranda!  It's actually one of the few reasons that we book Concierge Class... the reclining chair, with footstool and a few cushions, makes a pretty comfy bed, plus I get the benefit of listening to the wonderful ocean sounds as the ship sails through the night!  In the Caribbean, the nighttime temperatures are perfect for a great sleep!

Anyone else? 🙂

That snoring could be a sign of sleep apnea which can be addressed.  Been there and done that.  Problem addressed and now both living happily  (and peacefully) ever after.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Just don’t book Edge or Apex and you will be ok to sleep on your balcony.

Actually it seems the IV cabin on Edge or Apex would be quite the thing for the OP's situation.  She could go out there to sleep with the window closed (or open) and the bi-fold doors closed.  Kind of a quiet sleeping cubby away from snoring hubby!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Actually it seems the IV cabin on Edge or Apex would be quite the thing for the OP's situation.  She could go out there to sleep with the window closed (or open) and the bi-fold doors closed.  Kind of a quiet sleeping cubby away from snoring hubby!

If the window were open wouldn't the AC in the room click off even if the doors were closed? That would be a deal breaker for either of us. Also the chairs are narrow, fairly straight up, have a low back and don't recline, and the footstools are invisible! How on earth would you sleep in one of those all night?!

Edited by Luvcrusn
Addition

6 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

One afternoon I slept out on our IV on The Edge as my spouse was watching TV...

I just shut the doors, opened the window and found it quite peaceful and quiet....

Not an all nighter, yet... 😎

bonsoir and bon voyage

Bo - Did you have to turn the chairs sideways and put your feet up on the second chair?  I seem to recall it's kind of a tight squeeze out there with the doors closed.

Must confess much as we enjoyed our cruise on the partly refurbished Equinox in September/October a real ‘miss’ for the RS was a lack of really comfortable balcony furnishings. The sort of lounger you could nod off in...

Hard outside dining chairs and two chairs with some recline and a footrest but no cushioning is not modern luxury...Our butler aquired some cushions for us but not ideal and if you did manage to get comfy enough to nod there was then the issue of sliding off as the cushions were not attached to the chairs.

We have tried to feed back through key staff and surveys how this uncomfortable seating actually made our balcony experience worse than pre Revolution....I do hope they have listened.

We cruise in the PH post Revolution on Silhouette next year if haven’t got a comfortable nodding lounger, much as I tend to be quite placid, I may growl....

12 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Bo - Did you have to turn the chairs sideways and put your feet up on the second chair?  I seem to recall it's kind of a tight squeeze out there with the doors closed.

Yes, I did but that was fine as I would have done similarly on a "traditional"balcony as well, because I Am short at 5'9" so placing my legs on the edge of the railing was always uncomfortable for me...

bon voyage

I love doing that.

i will sit out there and read a book on my iPad and listening to the music via ear phones or  just enjoying the peace of the night viewing the night sky and sea.  

sometimes i think it is just passing out as I am also having a night cap while out there.

On the Edge (Aqua)  there weren’t any footstools so I used a lot of the pillows to be comfortable. 

When possible there have been a few times that I removed the cushions from the sofa and made bed out there to view the sky  depending on the overhang but have also been woken by rain.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

I'm sure we all have our remedy for snoring spouses or partners.    When a couple nudges or kicks don't work I use Silicon Ear Plugs and sleep upside down in the bed which generally works for me.   The stateroom attendant must ate me as I have to untuck the end of the bed every night.

We both took turns sleeping on our balcony on our last Celebrity cruise due to a couple of sleep issues, we won a move up bid and went from an inside to a 2D on the hump with the extra large balcony (6210 Reflection) It had 2 x pool beds on the balcony as well as the chairs so we put the single mattress from the sofa bed on one of the pool  beds and slept very well out there under the stars listening to the waves, 

We actually got lucky on our next cruise and have a very large balcony (FV Corner cabin on infinity) and I’m sure we will try it again as it looks like it has the pool beds also 🙂

19 hours ago, MR_T said:

We both took turns sleeping on our balcony on our last Celebrity cruise due to a couple of sleep issues, we won a move up bid and went from an inside to a 2D on the hump with the extra large balcony (6210 Reflection) It had 2 x pool beds on the balcony as well as the chairs so we put the single mattress from the sofa bed on one of the pool  beds and slept very well out there under the stars listening to the waves, 

We actually got lucky on our next cruise and have a very large balcony (FV Corner cabin on infinity) and I’m sure we will try it again as it looks like it has the pool beds also 🙂

Sounds like the cabin was great. 

We will be on our first Celebrity cruise in cabin 6210 on the Reflection.  What do the pool beds on the balcony look like?  Do you have any pictures?   Any other tips that you can give us would be helpful. 

Thanks

17 minutes ago, sandybeaches44 said:

Sounds like the cabin was great. 

We will be on our first Celebrity cruise in cabin 6210 on the Reflection.  What do the pool beds on the balcony look like?  Do you have any pictures?   Any other tips that you can give us would be helpful. 

Thanks

Hi, 

they were the same as at the pool, on their own not the most comfy but with the mattress on top it worked well 👍🏼 

This cabin is great, the actual cabin is the same size but the balcony is 3 times the size of a regular one, 

047FA077-4671-4D3B-8F60-65A0F0B5BE97.png

E321D859-073F-4D19-BF72-CD4F6A455327.png

Edited by MR_T

Not on Celebrity... the regular balcony, which is all I've had, is way too small.  I'd feel like I was sleeping in a shower.  And not on Carnival, because although we had one of the huge aft wraparound balconies, we were in Alaska both times... BRRRR!!!  However, many years ago, I slept up on the deck of the Windjammer ship Fantome, and THAT was truly MARVELOUS!  The next time I'll have a good sized balcony again (aft on the Millennium), we'll be in Alaska again, so again it will be too chilly!