Private island

renebfl

We were so lucky to be at ocean cay the second day it was open. It was all that we had hoped. Staying in the yacht club, we were given a golf cart ride to our selected yacht club area. There is a gorgeous dining room that will serve you a sit down lunch. Beautiful white sand ,lounge chairs, and umbrella to rent if needed for $12 .Plenty of wait  staff was there to get our desired drinks. Couldn’t really snorkel, the water was too cloudy. It was our own deserted island ( almost).  The wait staff certainly will earn their money with all their walking   Not easy for them 

It was even better if you were in yacht club, private area with really nice menu , had a lobster roll , loads of waiters getting us drinks by beach , chairs all set up with towels. We were there from about ten am till almost midnight yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Loved the YC area on Ocean Cay!  The clubhouse is spectacular.  The lobster roll was good, but a bit too much mayo for my taste.  Loved seeing all the butlers in their island attire.  Visited with the captain and all the brass from Miami.

Happy:  can you comment on the differences between the oceanview cabanas vs beachfront cabanas?  On the website, there's a $50 difference in price, but I'm more interested in how much farther back from the beach the oceanview cabanas are and if there's more shade with them vs the beachfront.

We love sailing the Seaside in the YC, can't wait to sail her again in April!

17 hours ago, George C said:

It was even better if you were in yacht club, private area with really nice menu , had a lobster roll , loads of waiters getting us drinks by beach , chairs all set up with towels. We were there from about ten am till almost midnight yesterday. 

Is there service with food and drinks until that late?

17 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Loved the YC area on Ocean Cay!  The clubhouse is spectacular.  The lobster roll was good, but a bit too much mayo for my taste.  Loved seeing all the butlers in their island attire.  Visited with the captain and all the brass from Miami.

We also had a interesting conversation with Captain there , he was also a officer on our Melody msc cruise about 15 years ago and we discussed a great piano player that was on the ship , Captain said he still played on msc, he was also very happy how smooth everything went on seasides first visit. 

19 hours ago, psmarkle said:

Happy:  can you comment on the differences between the oceanview cabanas vs beachfront cabanas?  On the website, there's a $50 difference in price, but I'm more interested in how much farther back from the beach the oceanview cabanas are and if there's more shade with them vs the beachfront.

Sorry, I did not investigate the cabanas.  The ones I saw looked very nice.  I live in Florida, so I don't generally go on cruises to go to beaches.  I think, based on what somebody else posted somewhere, that the ocean front cabanas are the ones very close to the Yacht Club pavillion which is spectacular.  The other ones were farther away.  But that's just a guess.

We were there on the third day it was open and will add some info.  There are several beach areas all with different vibes. The first one near the lighthouse is smooth sand and has bean bag cloth chairs and loungers of the same material scattered around. It is unlike other private islands which line up row after row of loungers.  Then the next beach we went to was sunset beach...over half a mile...it had the regular Loungers scattered around also not rows of people...this beach was more rocky to get in and then mix of sand and rock in the water but lovely since you had some current with some movement...I enjoy the sound of the water hitting the shore.  There also was some shade found naturally by some trees but not a lot.

this was the only beach where natural shade could be found.  The other beach areas provided little to no natural shade.  There were food trucks as well as a buffet area. The food on the buffet was better than the food on the ship! The mahi mahi was wonderful as was the jerk chicken. The salads were all great with seasoning indicative of the Bahamas. And the food was hot...something of a change from the cold food served daily on the ship!

The island stop was great and relaxing. The only complaint for me was the loud music all over being piped in on every beach. 

29 minutes ago, Beardface said:

What's the difference between what they have now, and the Yacht Club area that supposedly won't be open until March?

from what I'm reading, it sounds like its all really nice right now.

Only negative was there was only one bathroom shared by men and woman so there was a line most times . I believe there are more currently under construction. 

On 12/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, renebfl said:

We were so lucky to be at ocean cay the second day it was open. It was all that we had hoped. Staying in the yacht club, we were given a golf cart ride to our selected yacht club area. There is a gorgeous dining room that will serve you a sit down lunch. Beautiful white sand ,lounge chairs, and umbrella to rent if needed for $12 .Plenty of wait  staff was there to get our desired drinks. Couldn’t really snorkel, the water was too cloudy. It was our own deserted island ( almost).  The wait staff certainly will earn their money with all their walking   Not easy for them 

Was this facility called Governor's House? I remember hearing they were building that space for Yacht Club guests and apparently it has the only air conditioning on the island. Also, did you see any dedicated spots for Aurea guests?

10 minutes ago, NameThatFunnel said:

Was this facility called Governor's House? I remember hearing they were building that space for Yacht Club guests and apparently it has the only air conditioning on the island. Also, did you see any dedicated spots for Aurea guests?

Air conditioning?  When looking at the photos I wondered if there was air conditioning.  It can get hot and buggy too.  If there is, indeed, air conditioning, that would be wonderful!

19 hours ago, Beardface said:

What's the difference between what they have now, and the Yacht Club area that supposedly won't be open until March?

from what I'm reading, it sounds like its all really nice right now.

Check out formula280ss thread.  He answered there.

On 12/7/2019 at 8:28 PM, psmarkle said:

The ocean view cabanas do not have direct access to the water. The beach view cabanas do.