Ventura broken down?

AndyMichelle

Apparently Ventura has broken down in the Canaries and is awaiting tug boats to get into port in Tenerife. 

I hope this is not affecting the passengers onboard too much and she can get fixed promptly and continue her journey without too much disruption. 

I will take some elastic bands onboard for our New Year cruise just in case. 

Andy 

cruise ship tracker shows her NE of Tenerife heading NNW at 2 knots, so going away from Santa Cruz

edit - now heading back toward port at about 2 knots, ship shown as not under command, 20 miles to go, no sign of any tugs

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

Very fortunately this appears to have occurred in decent weather and whilst departing from a port with a number of rescue resources available.

Punta salinas (which I believe to be an ocean going tug/rescue ship) appeared to be on it’s way to the scene by 22.45 last night and is currently tracking Ventura back into port.  Ventura appears to be being assisted by V.B. Canaries (a tug) with V.B. Tenerife also attendance.  

Edited by crompton21

1 hour ago, beachmad123 said:

we were only about 16 miles out of tenerife when the problem occurred. Caused by a steam leak but that's a bit technical for me. As I've said were safely in port now

Thank you for the live updates. 

Hope it gets sorted quickly and you can continue to enjoy your cruise. 

Have a great time and make the most of the sunshine and cocktails. 

Andy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beachmad123 said:

Just had a announcement from Capt Willard we hope to leave now at 9pm.

We are now cleared to go off ship.

We will then go directly to Lisbon 

Shame you are missing Lanzarote but I find the Canaries all the same, so make the most of the better weather. 

Have a great day, 

Andy 

Tenerife is a great port as there is lots you can do from there - tram to La Laguna, visit the beach area to the north of the port by bus and lots of other places can be visited by bus or on trips, as well as the wonderful city itself.  Christmas lights should be on by now and well worth seeing if not leaving until 9pm - there is quite a buzz to the place when the lights are on.  Lanzarote is OK but not so easy to navigate to other places and somewhat more tame IMO.

Hope the ship is OK and you do leave as scheduled. 

• Like 1

There is a rumour  that 2 engineers or experts are flying out from the uk to try to fix it.  The problem with today is as it's a Sunday public transport is scarce.

However the band is singing Bob Marley don't worry about a thing so maybe they have inside information. 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest update from the captain problem still not resolved. He confirmed waiting for the engineers to fly in. Already announced no stop in Lisbon  some think it's a bit early to announce that. 

They also gave 25 on board credit to everyone. Next update tomorrow at 8pm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, beachmad123 said:

Latest update from the captain problem still not resolved. He confirmed waiting for the engineers to fly in. Already announced no stop in Lisbon  some think it's a bit early to announce that. 

They also gave 25 on board credit to everyone. Next update tomorrow at 8pm. 

That's ashame about Lisbon, I'm sure they are doing all they can to resolve ASAP. 

Have a good evening, don't worry, be happy😊

Andy 

11 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

£25 OBC each strikes me as a bit naff hope they improve on that. Also no shuttle buses this evening is not brilliant considering where we are parked

Keep your chin up Steve and try to enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Hopefully they will up the compo. 

Andy 

The journey home always seems the longest, the next few days may well be harder than our trip back from Canada a couple of months ago. We did a very similar cruise to this one last December on Arcadia and lost our visit to the Azores due to weather so not doing so well on this route so far. The bright side must be parked up in the warm in a safe harbour

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

The journey home always seems the longest, the next few days may well be harder than our trip back from Canada a couple of months ago. We did a very similar cruise to this one last December on Arcadia and lost our visit to the Azores due to weather so not doing so well on this route so far. The bright side must be parked up in the warm in a safe harbour

Have you thought about going to reception and asking if you will be reimbursed the port fees/taxes that you have paid for ports that you are not going to call at now and P&O will not have to pay. I can assure you it will be more than the lousy £25 obc so P&O will be in profit for ports not stopped in.

Edited by majortom10

As regards port taxes although they obviously were not paid for our missed ports we have been in a port all day so it's not quite as clear cut.  However 25 on board credit is peanuts to a cruise company in real terms. At the moment the priority is to solve the problem for ourselves and the next cruise the logistics of what they have had to organize and cancel would I imagine have been huge. I'm not defending them but trying to be reasonable and hopefully they will sort out a fair compensation for all passengers. 

• Like 1

They also have to consider that Ventura might be occupying the berth allocated to another cruise ship. Captain and owners of which will be having serious words with P&O not to mention the harbour master throwing a wobbly,

edit. It looks as if no ships are due in on Monday

Edited by davecttr