It's been awhile since we cruised on RCL...dress code?

Same as Norwegian.  Formal nights it would be appropriate to at least wear long pants and a polo at a minimum.  Seems like nearly half of cruisers don't dress up for formal night anymore.  It's a thing of the past.

14 minutes ago, island visitor said:

We have  cruised on Norwegian the past few times and found that the dress code is more relaxed.  Just wondering what is normal attire for the formal nights on the Oasis.

Anything you like, Royal does not enforce dress suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, island visitor said:

We have  cruised on Norwegian the past few times and found that the dress code is more relaxed.  Just wondering what is normal attire for the formal nights on the Oasis.

Dress code? There is no dress code. 

• Haha 1

Some people wear shorts every night.  I wear a dress every night, just because I like to.  The DH always wears dress pants. For shirts, he wears Hawaiian, polo, or if he feels like it a dress shirt tie and maybe a sports coat.  One of the key reasons we dress up is to have some fancy pics to pic from for the one fancy pic we like to buy.

I was welcomed into the dining room on a formal night by the greeter at the door .

He said we do not turn anyone away .

I was wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt 

This was on the Allure in September .

You can wear whatever you want .

5 hours ago, Retired LEO said:

I haven't seen shorts an issue in many many years 

I too have seen shorts in MTD on formal night but have been told by a couple of MaitreDs that they wouldn't allow people in with shorts on formal nights?.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:37 PM, island visitor said:

Trust me- a hot topic that has been discussed many times!  However RC has two formal nights- suits or jackets collared shirts and ties for men- few tux's but some still wear- ladies cocktail attire- have seen formal pants and tops, long gowns and short cocktail dresses- all other nights country club casual- basically not shorts or ripped jeans-  Some do not honor the dress code.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Just now, kenevenpar said:

What is the dress suggestion and reality for the specialty venues?

On Oasis in the app Chops specified Formal as their dress code.  In reality there was a large group in red sweatshirts and booty shorts.  

I had stopped in asking if I could just get food to go instead of taking my reservation.  I was in shorts and was uncomfortable because of the dress code.  Pointed this out to the host who still insisting on trying to seat me and said they didn't have a dress code.  🤷‍♀️

9 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

What is the dress suggestion and reality for the specialty venues?

The reality and suggestions match pretty decently.  like the vast majority of the 80% in the middle dress somewhere in the middle and keep to themselves and have a good time.  something that blends into the background that you wouldn't notice.

Then you have the 10% of the people who think they are sailing 1st class on the titanic, but wearing buisness suits instead of formal wear, and tut-tutting everyone who they think belongs in steerage while paying economy-class fares themselves.

And then there's the 10% on the other side that dresses like they are going to a chain restaurant and in whatever is comfortable, which pretty much reflects the reality of the situation but everyone is agreeing to pretend like it isn't.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, bearette said:

Shorts and men in tank tops are the only issues we have ever had.It also depends on who is at.the door, some will let you in regardless.

And... without thinking, I wore tank tops to lunch in the specialty restaurants, and was never turned away.  I didn’t realize my snafu until we were home looking at our pictures...

Just off Independence 4 nighter. Not sure if this is something new but instead of formal night, day 2 was “dress your best” or something of the sort. I’d describe attire most people were wearing as business casual in MDR.

Then of course there were the guys barefoot in the Royal Promenade getting pizza at Sorrento’s. The “clientele” on that ship was a mixed bag. And the MDR food...breakfast wasn’t even worth taking the time to eat.

But I digress. Moving forward I think I’m going to stick to sailings 7+ nights or longer.