NZ North Island Pre-Cruise Suggestions?

22 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Thank you. It's always a great place to visit although I struggle with the language..😮

I can offer some advice. In NZ, the word 'wee' is of Scottish origin, and is used as an adjective to describe the relative size of anything from an ant to a mountain 🙂

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

I can offer some advice. In NZ, the word 'wee' is of Scottish origin, and is used as an adjective to describe the relative size of anything from an ant to a mountain 🙂

Thanks, that's one I knew about, especially in places like Dunedin where I've been about five times. I also watch the doccos e.g. Coast with Neil Oliver and another by Tony Robinson and yet another by Griff Reese Jones. Enjoyed them all. My wife used to be my translator😀, after all, she had a great great grandfather born in Whangarei c1869 by name of Frederick William Curtis Wiggs.

I got an email from HAL this morning with my cabin allocation, 550 Main Deck. Seems to be a nice one except maybe a little close to the laundry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, our land tour is almost finished. We are now in Auckland and will board Maarsdam tomorrow. All has gone well. As this is a cruising forum I haven't really thought about doing a trip review but if anyone has questions about N Island then I am happy to help if I can.

BTW. I did benefit from taking out extra insurance cover for our GOrental car. I discovered when I dropped it off this afternoon that windscreen stone chips will cost you if you don't have it. Which is odd as a windscreen chip is not an accident, it is to me, just like a stone chip to bodywork which no amount of careful driving can avoid.