Laem Chabang (Bangkok/Pattaya) port access with taxi

c_and_t

I've done a lot of reading and understand the process for an arrival in to Laem Chabang (taxi options etc - this video useful), but curious if anyone has gone with a private taxi and had issues returning through the port gates (or is everyone just paying the ~400baht fees if going privately). I dont want to lock myself in to a return trip with the same company and same location as dropoff. The walk to the gate seems a little far (especially on the way out for the day) - though on the way back with the comforts of the ship (and a cold beer) in sight it is a bit more appealing as an option.

It seems like some cruise lines, and the terminal itself, previously had shuttles to Pattaya, though maybe this isn't an option anymore. There is the Harbor Laemchabang mall, nearby. I would have thought it would be in their interest to run a shuttle to the port as its only a few km's down the road. I haven't read anyone mentioning this as an option, so not sure if that is practical at all. 

FYI we wil be on a Princess Cruise (Sapphire). 

Thanks for any info from those who have done it or seen it before!

Some years back, but ...............

Cars available on spec. at the pier were (are?) in a cartel - you dealt with a taxi marshal who fleeced those-who’d not booked elsewhere ( ship’s  transfer or private transfer) in advance.

But pre_booked cars and cars returning folk to the port didn’t have to pay any fee.

JB 😀

• Thanks 2

Check this company out --

They're picking you right at the pier and back.

Through our roll call, we used them for a transfer to BK, spent the night in a hotel there and back on the second day.

They were on time, excellent service, good value for money. Highly recommended.

https://www.orientalescape.com/transfer/thailand/bangkok

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, John Bull said:

Cars available on spec. at the pier were (are?) in a cartel -

Sounds like the cartel still exists..

On 12/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, John Bull said:

But pre_booked cars and cars returning folk to the port didn’t have to pay any fee.

That's interesting.. maybe it is different for picking up opposed to dropping off.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:16 PM, dani negreanu said:

Check this company out --

They're picking you right at the pier and back.

Through our roll call, we used them for a transfer to BK, spent the night in a hotel there and back on the second day.

They were on time, excellent service, good value for money. Highly recommended.

https://www.orientalescape.com/transfer/thailand/bangkok

Thanks for the info.. we're doing this kind of thing at other stops, though not as interested at Laem Chabang (only a day visit and been to BKK a few times already). A cheap and easy way to spend a few hours at Pattaya is all we're after, and I think we're armed with enough info to handle anything that pops up now thanks to some help here.

Purely on principle I dont want to fork out cash to the taxi cartel & port access fees 😒

1 hour ago, c_and_t said:

Purely on principle I dont want to fork out cash to the taxi cartel & port access fees 😒

I couldn't agree more... the company I've recommended advised us that in the rate, a 25$ access fee is included... it is what it is. For a one day stop, I wouldn't travel to BK either.

• 4 weeks later...

For our second visit to Laem Chabang spring 2019 we used   www.JOETAXITHAI.com.. We paid 2600 baht for the trip from the terminal (close to the ship) to the Sanctuary of Truth in Pattaya;  the driver waiting there during our visit and the return trip to the ship.    Pick up time 02.00 pm (he was already there at 1.40 pm), return about 5.30 pm.  Trustworthy, correct driver, correct car.  2600 baht = more or less US$ 40

Edited by MAVIP
valuta US$

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. We are stopping here for a day in Feb and are planning to go to Pattaya for the day (been to Bangkok previously on a land trip). 

Are people saying that we can't just get off the ship and jump in a taxi? Happy to walk outside the terminal if there are taxis/shuttles/ public transport that is cheaper.

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Are people saying that we can't just get off the ship and jump in a taxi? Happy to walk outside the terminal if there are taxis/shuttles/ public transport that is cheaper.

No, u have to prebook.

And you can't walk outside the terminal -- its an industrial port.

19 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

No, u have to prebook.

And you can't walk outside the terminal -- its an industrial port.

Thanks, so if we haven't pre booked anything we have to stay on the ship? 

I think we may end up doing that, have been to Thailand several times before and was planning just an easy day strolling around the town but if it's going to cost us $86 to do that may not bother.

29 minutes ago, kernow said:

Thanks, so if we haven't pre booked anything we have to stay on the ship? 

I think we may end up doing that, have been to Thailand several times before and was planning just an easy day strolling around the town but if it's going to cost us $86 to do that may not bother.

The "cartel" takes advantage of the port being so far from everything, and taxi drivers won't "gamble" with the entrance fee of 25$ without knowing they'll have a "sure fare".

You can always try getting a quote from the company we used, Oriental Express, and may be find others on your roll call "of the same mind". Lots of people in our cruise opted for Pattaya, even though we were overnighting there. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:27 PM, kernow said:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. We are stopping here for a day in Feb and are planning to go to Pattaya for the day (been to Bangkok previously on a land trip). 

YES - you can walk off the ship and get a taxi but it will be from one company who has a monopoly at the port. You only need to pre book if you privately arrange a taxi or transport in advance from another company who will probably then charge extra for port entry fees. A taxi in to Pattaya will take 30 mins and probably cost approx 1200 baht if you only want transport but if you want the driver to stay with you and show you places of interest it will be more. The cruise company may also have a shuttle service running.

I have seen private taxis waiting at the port gate and it is only a 200 metre walk if you allowed to access them. We have used them in the past but the rules may have changed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, NeilonBoard said:

I have seen private taxis waiting at the port gate and it is only a 200 metre walk if you allowed to access them. We have used them in the past but the rules may have changed.

All my research about the distance from the ship to the port gate indicates a distance of 3km.  Would be pleasantly surprised if it were only 200m.  Please confirm, NeilonBoard.

The prices being quoted at the port are Falang pricing.  More than double what they should be.  I still have some Real Estate interest in Pattaya (30 minutes south of the port). So I make a coupler of trips a year to the area.  The Pattaya to Bangkok prices offered by many taxi car services are much lower than what has been post. If I was coming to the port I would setup a car from Pattaya. The costs Pattaya to Bangkok should be about 1300 Thai Baht ( about USD$42 dollars) and the same or even a little less for a port pickup.  And really no reason to keep the taxi all day, very easy to get a taxi in Bangkok for the return trip. One sevice I have used is https://pttaxiservice.com/  out of Pattaya. 

Edited by Expat Cruise
  • Thanks 1

Will definitely be checking out private transfer options for an overnight stay in Pattaya.  Thanks for your recommendation, Expat Cruise.  Get tired of the dreaded ferang (falang) prices in Thailand.  Currently feeling that Princess has greedily copied the same pricing model for it's shuttles, tours and visas.

Usually when we're in Thailand we rely on our feet or the baht bus to get around.  Hate being treated like a walking ATM.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:53 PM, CissyFuss said:

All my research about the distance from the ship to the port gate indicates a distance of 3km.  Would be pleasantly surprised if it were only 200m.  Please confirm, NeilonBoard.

When you get off the ship in Laem Chabang you will be ushered through a building where you will be offered the services of the taxi cartel at inflated prices. Other operators who have paid the port entrance fee may also be here to pick up passengers on pre arranged private tours. In the past I have exited this building then turned right and made my way approx 200 metres along the wharf to a gate where private taxis have been waiting. This may not be the official port entry gate but it seems to be the area which marks the limit where freelance taxis can approach the ship without paying port entrance fees.  When we overnight in Pattaya we arrange a public taxi to return us to Laem Chabang the next day and the drop off point is exactly the same place. It is not a busy signposted gate but usually there is at least one local taxi waiting hoping to get a fare in to Pattaya or better still Bangkok. The 3 kilometre distance you refer to is probably the distance through the industrial port area from the ship to the main road to either Bangkok or Pattaya. On cruises overnighting at Laem Chabang we always organise a hotel in either Bangkok or Pattaya and return the next day. There is absolutely nothing to see or do in Laem Chabang.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply, NeilonBoard.  Really resent being scammed, especially by taxi drivers. Just reread your first reply on this thread, 1200 baht sounds a lot friendlier than the other prices I'm seeing.

Edited by CissyFuss

On 2/2/2020 at 8:14 AM, CissyFuss said:

Will definitely be checking out private transfer options for an overnight stay in Pattaya.  Thanks for your recommendation, Expat Cruise.  Get tired of the dreaded ferang (falang) prices in Thailand.  Currently feeling that Princess has greedily copied the same pricing model for it's shuttles, tours and visas.

Usually when we're in Thailand we rely on our feet or the baht bus to get around.  Hate being treated like a walking ATM.

Pattaya is a ghost town now.  just spoke to a friend who lives on Pattaya Beach. He said the Chinese have left and tourism is down by 90%. From the live phone video I saw reminded me of Pattaya in 2001 after 9-11.  If this keeps up some great deals will be offered.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:44 AM, NeilonBoard said:

When you get off the ship in Laem Chabang you will be ushered through a building where you will be offered the services of the taxi cartel at inflated prices. Other operators who have paid the port entrance fee may also be here to pick up passengers on pre arranged private tours. In the past I have exited this building then turned right and made my way approx 200 metres along the wharf to a gate where private taxis have been waiting. This may not be the official port entry gate but it seems to be the area which marks the limit where freelance taxis can approach the ship without paying port entrance fees.  When we overnight in Pattaya we arrange a public taxi to return us to Laem Chabang the next day and the drop off point is exactly the same place. It is not a busy signposted gate but usually there is at least one local taxi waiting hoping to get a fare in to Pattaya or better still Bangkok. The 3 kilometre distance you refer to is probably the distance through the industrial port area from the ship to the main road to either Bangkok or Pattaya. On cruises overnighting at Laem Chabang we always organise a hotel in either Bangkok or Pattaya and return the next day. There is absolutely nothing to see or do in Laem Chabang.

Thank you for the clear directions. We will be there 2 weeks today, is the 1200 baht you mentioned one way or return?

Thanks

Google kiwi taxi. I did extensive research and they were the cheapest prebook. 

You could also download the grab app and see if that works, and just have someone pick you up on demand. 

With regard to returning, our driver didn't interact with the guys at the gate, so I'd say that the access restrictions are just for the arrival day. I suspect that they only care about the monopoly when you get there. 

Edited by yoolykeme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kernow said:

Thank you for the clear directions. We will be there 2 weeks today, is the 1200 baht you mentioned one way or return?

Thanks

Firstly let me point out that there is no guarantee private taxis will be waiting in this area. It is an unofficial unmarked gate where private taxis may take their chances against the taxi cartel waiting in the official area. The 1200 baht is one way but you can be certain any private operator will know what the cartel are charging. You may do better by bartering or if you book the same cab to return you either same day or the next day if overnighting. If there are no cabs waiting at this gate simply use a cartel cab and return in a private cab which will be readily available in Pattaya. Make sure you agree on a price before returning to the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from a cruise stopping here and didnt notice any obvious/easy way to get a public taxi without going to the main port gate (which was too far to walk, and even then didnt see any taxis). It didn't look a very pedestrian friendly option. Hopefully it does work out for you.. you always have the taxi-cartel as a backup I guess.

Our cruise (Princess) did have the very unpublicised shuttle bus to Pattaya (Bayview Hotel) for US$20 return which was quite good.

I asked the  staff about this "port access fee" on return to Laem Chabang, and their advice was there was no fee to drop a passenger back at the cruise terminal.

• Thanks 2