Measles outbreak on Apia, Somoa

Greg4502

It's because a high percentage of the population were not vaccinated. It is very sad, thousands of people have had the measles and at least 60 people have died over 50 were children under 4.

Last i heard the government instituted an emergency vaccination plan & 89% of the population are now vaccinated. It takes 95% take up for heard protection. So hopefully they will have it under control shortly.

• 5 weeks later...

@Greg4502 Just wanted to let you know I'm currently on a Regent cruise with American Samoa and Samoa as intended ports of call and the captain cancelled both due to the measles issue.  I was surprised since this has been an issue for a little while and feel like the cruise line could have tried to make the ports with a little communication and fore-planning with the passengers.  When this issue came to my attention, I researched it and learned based on the CDC’s website that I would have “presumed” immunity (1956 birth year), but my husband (1957 birth year) would have to either prove immunity or be reinoculated.  He saw his doctor and had titer levels drawn which proved his immunity.  I thought we had ourselves covered to go ashore if there was an issue with the measles epidemic.  We had no communication from the cruise line about this being a possible issue before we embarked, but yesterday the captain made his announcement about us missing both ports which were scheduled for today and tomorrow.  Not sure if any other cruise lines are electing to miss the ports.  Our planned stops in Fiji are still a go.