Brief Update/Review Nieuw Statendam Dec. 1-15, 2019 photo links, turnaround details

loupana

Thanks for sharing your experiences -- we (five) will be on the NS in January 2021, for 3 weeks that are also sold as 11+10 so I think we'll have your same "turnaround" day. I don't mind doing muster as often as they wish, but if they say not necessary, I'll just make sure to get my Pain Killer before the bars close!

Oh, just noticed the part about "more food photos to come later this week". Hopefully, the lido smoked salmon will make an appearance. :classic_biggrin: My brother-in-law said the promise of smoked salmon available every morning helped sway him from insisting on taking Princess for our cruise.

4 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Oh, just noticed the part about "more food photos to come later this week". Hopefully, the lido smoked salmon will make an appearance. :classic_biggrin: My brother-in-law said the promise of smoked salmon available every morning helped sway him from insisting on taking Princess for our cruise.

We've only been to lido market twice, my dw believes she seen smoked salmon today, I did not so I cannot confirm...

6 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

Thank you for your review and adding all the menus, daily schedules and photo.  Is there an expanded Club Orange breakfast menu for room service?    Really enjoying your review.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'm not sure if this is an expanded Breakfast menu, but here is a copy of what we have in our room. I just noticed the Steak and Eggs so I'll be ordering that for tomorrow AM.

IMG_20191209_170851.thumb.jpg.8a20ea84f4e25dee0b45ec8548dfdd85.jpg

55 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

Thank you for your review!  Great pictures.  We'll be on her next week, 12/15, when you get off.  Can't wait and I'm so glad they put up the Christmas decorations.

They started to appear slowly last week, I just wish they had a better location for the two huge tree's in BB Kings they really block the stage for almost everyone. The gingerbread house setup at Grand Dutch Cafe is awesome.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LouTheGlue said:

They started to appear slowly last week, I just wish they had a better location for the two huge tree's in BB Kings they really block the stage for almost everyone. The gingerbread house setup at Grand Dutch Cafe is awesome.

I did read from previous posts and reviews that they just started going up.  I thought they'd be up the week of Thanksgiving or right after.  Oh too bad about blocking the stage.

I just read that CO menus are the same as MDR menus, except for one additional entrée.  If that is correct, then the menus for MDR look great.  I've been doing searches for menus from MDR on this ship and haven't found any, so it's nice to finally be able to see some, even if from the CO.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:51 PM, Despegue said:

Just a little heads-up that from December 15th, a  Belgian, newly promoted Captain will become Master of the 

Nieuw Statendam...😀

Oh Jesus. We board the 15th.  Hope he's a good greenhorn captain!

6 hours ago, smilesntravels said:

I just read that CO menus are the same as MDR menus, except for one additional entrée.  If that is correct, then the menus for MDR look great.  I've been doing searches for menus from MDR on this ship and haven't found any, so it's nice to finally be able to see some, even if from the CO.

Yes the menu is the same except for the "Club Orange Daily Special" Item.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, LouTheGlue said:

And, we don't have to do muster this week. We are sitting at the lido pool now while everyone is going to there staterooms.

That's one of the advantages of doing a back to back, not having to go to the second muster drill.  Last time, we grabbed our drinks and headed to the Crow's Nest where we got the best seats for sail-away!  LOL   We were going to do the same again in January on the NS, but we have an aft balcony (Deck 5) and requested a wave from the PTZ crew, so will be out there with our Canadian flag, waving away.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Update of this second half of our 14 day cruise. This week we call on Half Moon Cay again, then Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We were told there are 500 less guests than last week.

Night 1, our day 8 there was a huge line to get into club orange so we didn't want to wait so went to Pinnacle Grill. Food was good, service not so much. We've also been to Canaletto twice now this week and have enjoyed both times. Friday we'll try Tamarind. A few changes to staff in club orange this week, and because of this we've notice a bit of a drop in service. Having said that Dewa and Bagus are still there and they are great.

Getting bored at night since the entertainment is mostly the same, BB Kings Band we always seem to catch the same songs. Same comedian on this sailing so we skipped his show this week. Different magician than last week but didn't really enjoy his show much. We caught the one production dance show again but will not see the other again. We will watch another movie on the lido deck tonight.

Gala nights for this cruise are day 3 a sea day and tonight day 5 which is NOT a sea day we are in Grand Cayman today. The Orange party was last night day 4, we didn't make the Orange party this week we were watching a movie on the lido deck.

We purchased spa passes for this week and have enjoyed going there daily. Love the little things we have seen on HAL that most other lines have done away with. We've also ordered the Steak and Eggs off the expanded room service menu and enjoyed it so much we are waiting for our second try this morning.

The main purpose of this cruise was for some R and R so we are fine with spending more time in our room than we usually do.

I missed a day or two of club orange menu's this week since we did some specialty dining, I'll post what I have and the When and Where's for this week at the end of our cruise. Now steak and eggs will be here shortly and then I'll spend the rest of the day keeping an eye on my wife's shopping in Georgetown.

Love the NS and the Pinnacle class, will have to try an older HAL ship to compare since we've heard so many good things about them.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:52 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Certainly explains the two ladies with the Belgian flag.  Maybe they're his family?

PTZ explained the two ladies were holding a Belgian flag. One woman was the new Captain's mother and the other his fiance. Guess he'll be on his best behavior and using his best navigating skills on the cruise.

Will be on Koningsdam in January, enjoying your pictures of her twin ship.

Enjoy your cruising days.