Live from Explorer of the Seas 12/13/19-12/22/19

Great day in Curacao, meet our tour guide for private journey, Jewish heritage tour... we had a private van, driver and guide... went to two Jewish cemeteries, art museum tour, synagogue, Jewish history museum and distillery to taste Curacao alcohol... the entire tour was fully narrated... not rushed in anyway, no crowds... highly recommend 

back on the around 2pm for our nap

out for dinner at 6:30 at chops, good meal and service.... not much going on this evening, as has been the case for most of this cruise.   So off to watch the democratic debate  and post game show. 
tomorrow is a sea day

Also, are the shows the same? or do they have a different show every night?  Usually they have at least 2 or 3 game shows, murder mystery, comics and or music.  How about dance clubs?  We also have the same cruise booked but after the refit or dry dock.

we too would like to know if there is any live music onboard, i.e dance music in a lounge. We just got off of the brilliance and were blessed to have two great bands onboard, locomotion and the M band. They drew nice crowds whenever they played in the R bar and it was fun using our diamond drink cards to have a libation and watch all of the arthur murray grads go through their gyrations...great people watching  and the drinks were great....I have heard no mention of live music onboard this ship and since we sail on her in a couple of weeks, thus the question. thanks in advance for any info.

33 minutes ago, retired dude said:

we too would like to know if there is any live music onboard, i.e dance music in a lounge. We just got off of the brilliance and were blessed to have two great bands onboard, locomotion and the M band. They drew nice crowds whenever they played in the R bar and it was fun using our diamond drink cards to have a libation and watch all of the arthur murray grads go through their gyrations...great people watching  and the drinks were great....I have heard no mention of live music onboard this ship and since we sail on her in a couple of weeks, thus the question. thanks in advance for any info.

Yes there is music every night... we liked the acoustic guitar and piano player in schooner bar.... not into loud crowded dance music, but it is available 

2 hours ago, LadyLion_AP said:

Great to hear a different perspective! 😊

I believe the food could be fixed from sailing to sailing. It’s total lack of effort and quality but I have heard people expressing opinions to officers in the WJ when they have come around and asked about the food/service.  

Even with the ship being a little tired and the food, we would do this cruise again and have enjoyed it. We will likely book the same sailing next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharonlacey said:

Also, are the shows the same? or do they have a different show every night?  Usually they have at least 2 or 3 game shows, murder mystery, comics and or music.  How about dance clubs?  We also have the same cruise booked but after the refit or dry dock.

Yes dance clubs exist shows are different, we loved the comedian, most other shows were Vegas style, we like the broadway type, shame they are not on smaller ships... not rock trivia for us so far, sadly... the only trivia we like.... we have done ping pong tournament, pickle ball, shuffle board, golf and archery.... lots of great fun.... just wish evening entertainment was better.... we are not into “disco”, or bars/drinking or gambling 

thanks so much for the reply. I was blessed to  have a dad that opened for Mr. Sinatra back in the day and i grew up in a house that appreciated nice music..If the music is good, we will be blessed...We are lowly diamond members and have found the shows to be so-so as are the comics....On the recent cruise Louis R was a great comic and the other comic that they featured put numerous folks to sleep.....I miss the days when we were fortunate to see acts like the drifters, the platter, coasters, charo, john pinnette, and the list goes on and on. Nowadays the budget for entertainment has shrunk and so has the talent pool ..Too many ships, not enough good entertainers and limited budgets ....it is what ii is. Thus our liking of the live music that is offered every night..thanks again for the good info, we appreciate it a bunch.

11 minutes ago, retired dude said:

thanks so much for the reply. I was blessed to  have a dad that opened for Mr. Sinatra back in the day and i grew up in a house that appreciated nice music..If the music is good, we will be blessed...We are lowly diamond members and have found the shows to be so-so as are the comics....On the recent cruise Louis R was a great comic and the other comic that they featured put numerous folks to sleep.....I miss the days when we were fortunate to see acts like the drifters, the platter, coasters, charo, john pinnette, and the list goes on and on. Nowadays the budget for entertainment has shrunk and so has the talent pool ..Too many ships, not enough good entertainers and limited budgets ....it is what ii is. Thus our liking of the live music that is offered every night..thanks again for the good info, we appreciate it a bunch.

You’re welcome thanks for coming along on our trip 

18 hours ago, Biker19 said:

@Thorben-Hendrik would agree with you.

Yes, when I read Thorben's negative post about Explorer before we went I was hoping he was just exaggerating. Unfortunately he wasn't....I'm not one to look for problem areas, but Explorer needs refurbed sooner than later.

We didn't let the negatives ruin our cruise. We took it in stride and had a great cruise in spite of it all!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kruzerci said:

We are on the sailing and having a great time. I think the activities and schedule has been fine with the exception of the ice shows all being during the day. There’s plenty of sunshine and sun loungers for the daytime hours! Shows could be better but I expected such on an older ship. 

I will say the food is absolutely horrific. The MDR is mediocre at best and the Windjammer is by far the worst I have seen. It is essentially like a combination of frozen meals and kids food (soggy pizza, pasta, little burgers, hotdogs, sorry salad bars, and the grilled poor cuts of chicken or beef). I’m really embarrassed that this is our friends first Royal Caribbean cruise. It’s worse than the food at a mediocre all inclusive or casual chain restaurant. 

That said, the drinks are flowing, we have great ports and weather, and we have had excellent dinners at Chops and Giovannis multiple nights. 

We've never been on a ship where you were assigned a time to attend the ice show based on your muster drill. We were fortunate that ours was scheduled for the evening, but what about those cruisers who were assigned the daytime hours? NOT good. 

2 hours ago, sisocialworker said:

Yes there is music every night... we liked the acoustic guitar and piano player in schooner bar.... not into loud crowded dance music, but it is available 

The piano player was really good. One night he played Christmas songs and passed out song books for everyone to join. AND, best of all, most of the songs were the religious ones! And it was standing room only:)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

We've never been on a ship where you were assigned a time to attend the ice show based on your muster drill. We were fortunate that ours was scheduled for the evening, but what about those cruisers who were assigned the daytime hours? NOT good. 

They were based on muster this cruise also however NO night shows. All 1PM or 3PM. 

3 hours ago, kruzerci said:

No just suggested

Keep in mind the ones with the correct muster station were allowed in studio B first, the others had to wait until 10 min. before the show to choose their seats. Like I said, in all the cruises we've been on, this is a new set up. IMHO...not a good idea.

11 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

Keep in mind the ones with the correct muster station were allowed in studio B first, the others had to wait until 10 min. before the show to choose their seats. Like I said, in all the cruises we've been on, this is a new set up. IMHO...not a good idea.

Ugh! Don’t like that at all! ☹️

I know that many have been reporting that the food in MDR is terrible.  We appreciate good food and we are not picky eaters.  On all of our cruises we have always found the food to be good, sometimes excellent.

We are cruising on Explorer in Jan.  I am wondering if since food is subjective, is it really that bad.  Maybe someone could describe the reasons.

Also, we have been looking forward to the Chefs Table.  I am wondering if anyone has done that lately on the Explorer?

Deb

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I thought since you are on the ship now you could answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I know that many have been reporting that the food in MDR is terrible.  We appreciate good food and we are not picky eaters.  On all of our cruises we have always found the food to be good, sometimes excellent.

We are cruising on Explorer in Jan.  I am wondering if since food is subjective, is it really that bad.  Maybe someone could describe the reasons.

Also, we have been looking forward to the Chefs Table.  I am wondering if anyone has done that lately on the Explorer?

Deb

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I thought since you are on the ship now you could answer.

No problem, anyone feel free to respond.... we do eat in the MDR or windjammer because food never is hot, always lukewarm...

the MDR is too crowded and noisy to enjoy a meal