Phu My port to Ho Chi Mihn City transfer (not ship excursion)

h20 4 me

Has anyone had experience in getting private transportation to HCMC from the port?  Can you give me an idea of cost?  We can walk to the EXIT and don't need ship side pick up.  Will they arrange to pick you up to return you to the ship at a later time? We just want to do independent touring but this port is 2 hours from the city.  I'm not sure if Seabourn has a transfer excursion, it is not listed in their booklet of excursions.  Thanks.

• Like 1

There might be a DIY shuttle option offered once onboard. 

When we were there there were many taxi's sitting just outside the gate...negotiate with one that will provide you with return transportation and payment at the conclusion. With the new highway the trip is less than 2 hours.

3 hours ago, h20 4 me said:

Has anyone had experience in getting private transportation to HCMC from the port?  Can you give me an idea of cost?  We can walk to the EXIT and don't need ship side pick up.  Will they arrange to pick you up to return you to the ship at a later time? We just want to do independent touring but this port is 2 hours from the city.  I'm not sure if Seabourn has a transfer excursion, it is not listed in their booklet of excursions.  Thanks.

Are you sure that you don't port right in Saigon?  

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

There might be a DIY shuttle option offered once onboard. 

When we were there there were many taxi's sitting just outside the gate...negotiate with one that will provide you with return transportation and payment at the conclusion. With the new highway the trip is less than 2 hours.

Thank you so much. Great tip on payment at conclusion. Sure hoping that we are able to dock in town instead of so far away.

12 hours ago, flyn2lax said:

I really hope that we are able to do so, but I hear that it depends on the tides. As of right now they show us going into Phu My.

Good luck!   I saw Seabourn and thought small ship, but didn't consider tides.  We were on Quest and got right in.  They never even listed Phu My as an option.  But that was October.  I hope you have as great of a vacation as we did.   

23 hours ago, flyn2lax said:

Thank you so much. Great tip on payment at conclusion. Sure hoping that we are able to dock in town instead of so far away.

If must use a taxi at the port, there is every chance the taxi Mafia will be in place to fix a price, demand payment on the spot and then give the taxi driver less than what you paid.  Try and move away from the pack if this is the case and negotiate with a driver direct.  And certainly do not pay for the cab (or perhaps a very small deposit) until you get back, it will be a long walk to the port if docked at Phu My.  There are two reputable taxi companies in Vietnam and the taxi industry has a shocking reputation for scams, overcharging etc.  Do your research on taxi companies before leaving home to be prepared for all eventualities.  As an additional DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES take a ride in a cyclo (pedibke) anywhere in Vietnam unless it has been arranged, organised and paid for before using them.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:18 PM, Bpos said:

If must use a taxi at the port, there is every chance the taxi Mafia will be in place to fix a price, demand payment on the spot and then give the taxi driver less than what you paid.  Try and move away from the pack if this is the case and negotiate with a driver direct.  And certainly do not pay for the cab (or perhaps a very small deposit) until you get back, it will be a long walk to the port if docked at Phu My.  There are two reputable taxi companies in Vietnam and the taxi industry has a shocking reputation for scams, overcharging etc.  Do your research on taxi companies before leaving home to be prepared for all eventualities.  As an additional DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES take a ride in a cyclo (pedibke) anywhere in Vietnam unless it has been arranged, organised and paid for before using them.

Thank you so much for that information. 

5 hours ago, Vacationv said:

I'm looking for the same- We are on Seabourn Sojurn 22 March and want to overnight in a hotel in Saigon.

Thanks

Rick and Donna

You really need to confirm where your ship will dock.  Often, The small ships can access Saigon via the river which means they will dock quite close to the city and you will not need to then stay overnight in a hotel.  If you dock at Phu My then that is quite a different situation. 

We were there in January 2018 with Celebrity and we walked off the restricted port area and negotiated with a taxi driver to take us into town, drive us to some of the highlights and wait for us at the market.  It was a van and there were 6 of us.  Cost was $30 USD each.  We thought it was reasonable.  We were back to the ship with lots of time to spare

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

We were there in January 2018 with Celebrity and we walked off the restricted port area and negotiated with a taxi driver to take us into town, drive us to some of the highlights and wait for us at the market.  It was a van and there were 6 of us.  Cost was $30 USD each.  We thought it was reasonable.  We were back to the ship with lots of time to spare

Thank you for that info.  I've since been told by the Cruise Line that we will dock in the city.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Phu My port a couple weeks ago as well as last December.  Both times we used a tour operator who is very knowledgeable as well as very reasonable.  His name is Nguyen Tri Dung aka his nickname,  Zoom.  He can do a small group as well as something larger.  We started with 11 but added a few.  He picked us up outside the gate (there is a shuttle bus to gate).  If you end up at the closer port, no doubt he can pick you up there too.  

Our tour included Buddhist temple in Chinatown, War Remnants Museum (or Reunification Palace), Notre Dame Cathedral (undergoing renovation), Post Office, drink at the Rex Hotel, lunch at Pho 2000 (where Clinton had lunch in 2000) and shopping at the huge market.

• Like 1

HCMC is a very interesting city - definitely a worthwhile excursion.

Its very easy to pre arrange your own tour or join others.

We have been there twice and pre arranged our tours. Great service - on time, clean modern vehicle, friendly and informative. people.  From memory they were around USD60-70 per person. 

Take a look at the roll call for your cruise on Cruise Critic as I'm sure someone will be arranging one ! If not,  google "Phu My shore excursions".

I'll be on Majestic Princess which uses A$ with 2 stops in Vietnam. So with that in mind ~~~~ For anyone who's been to Vietnam before: can I use A$ there or does it need to be USD or Vietnamese Dong? I'd rather not have a variety of currencies

19 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'll be on Majestic Princess which uses A$ with 2 stops in Vietnam. So with that in mind ~~~~ For anyone who's been to Vietnam before: can I use A$ there or does it need to be USD or Vietnamese Dong? I'd rather not have a variety of currencies

Just change some Aussie $ to Dong, about what you think you may need for your stops, money changers everywhere, they even came on board our cruise ship a few years ago. Most places will take USD but not AU$, so Dong it is.  JUst make sure you use up your Dong at the last stop, not worth taking home unless you are intending to use it to wallpaper your toilet walls.  Cards are accepted at many restuarants and better shops so they can be used for larger purchases.  

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm USA based so I can bring USD. Maybe $100 in small bills? It's just 2 days, rickshaw from pier to town & back in 1st port .... not sure in Phu My port to Ho Chi Mihn City transfer (2nd port)

There you go, take plenty of small notes as you will not get change

18 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thinking $1s, $5s, and $10s? 

Sounds about right.  Be aware if planning to do your own transport arrangements from Phu My to Saigon, you will be up for some serious money.  In my opinion, I believe it is best to prearranged your transport before you go for this port.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 8:42 AM, Bpos said:

Sounds about right.  Be aware if planning to do your own transport arrangements from Phu My to Saigon, you will be up for some serious money.  In my opinion, I believe it is best to prearranged your transport before you go for this port.

If you are going from Phu My port to Saigon there will probably be a ship's shore excursion called Saigon on my Own. This is basically transport only and you will be dropped off and picked up somewhere central in Saigon. You will be on your own to explore the city at your own pace. If you are reasonably active and can stand the heat Saigon is easily covered on foot in one day. You also will have the added safety a ships excursion offers should there be traffic or any other circumstances delaying your return to the ship.

I have been to Vietnam a few times on my own free and easy trips.  We used Ethnic Travel Vietnam as they were recommended by Rough Guide.  I would highly recommend them as a travel company you can trust, although they tend to be more "cheap and cheerful" style.  They can provide an English speaking tour guide and local driver for really reasonable rates.  

On 1/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, NeilonBoard said:

If you are going from Phu My port to Saigon there will probably be a ship's shore excursion called Saigon on my Own. This is basically transport only and you will be dropped off and picked up somewhere central in Saigon. You will be on your own to explore the city at your own pace. If you are reasonably active and can stand the heat Saigon is easily covered on foot in one day. You also will have the added safety a ships excursion offers should there be traffic or any other circumstances delaying your return to the ship.

I have been to Saigon twice in the past year and used ZOOM (his nickname) both times.  He is extremely reasonable and will pick you up, take you to see many sights and bring you back.  We put together a medium sized group and it was no more than US $40 pp.  We were taken by a modern bus but he can do a van for a smaller group. You can contact him at dungzoom@gmail.com. and see what he has to offer.