White Island erupts.

Hopefully tourists are okay. White Island was of serious consideration for us to visit on our December cruise.  Its always been volatile. Reading the article it doesn't sound good. Fingers crossed. 

From article ...

Aerius Helicopters and Kahu Helicopters have confirmed they were not on the island and are on standby in anticipation of an evacuation.

She said they were waiting for confirmation of the number of people on the island.

White Island Tours boats were reportedly near the island.

Aerius Helicopters owner Graeme McKenzie said his business was currently not responding to the incident but was on standby. It operates tours to White Island.

I know on Princess excurison they use Aerius Helicopters. But people could have easily booked the flights themselves. 

Edited by icat2000

Unconfirmed reports coming over the radio , have said that up to 100 were on the Island at the time and several are missing. Also reports that a helicopter was overturned. 
All unconfirmed as it is all happening now .

The eruption was a huge plume of steam, no ash .

On the herald sun site says the following 

Cruise ship Ovation of the Seas is berthed in Tauranga now. A spokeswoman for the ship's owners, Royal Caribbean, said it was not certain whether any passengers from the ship were on White Island at the time of the eruption.

''We're not sure if our guests were involved. We're still gathering information at the moment.''

Now that was 27 minutes ago. So maybe as reported above there is later information. 

Latest from the Police 

White it was initially believed there were approximately 100 people on or near the island at the time of the eruption, we now believe there were fewer than 50.

Some of those people have been transported to shore, however a number believed to be on the island are currently unaccounted for.

Of those transported to shore, at least one has been critically injured.

4 minutes ago, MargoK said:

TV ONE has just shown photos of the time lapse just before the eruption. People can be seen walking to or standing near the rim!!!! 

Makes me so sad. 

Don't be sad - it really is just very bad luck. The tours take you to the rim - actually you are required to stay 5m back from the edge  as its under-cut. The tours is very well run - we were in small groups and not allowed to wander freely. My partner was feeling unwell - and he was allowed to stay on the beach - but only if he stayed in view of the watch on the boat. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lissie said:

Don't be sad - it really is just very bad luck. The tours take you to the rim - actually you are required to stay 5m back from the edge  as its under-cut. The tours is very well run - we were in small groups and not allowed to wander freely. My partner was feeling unwell - and he was allowed to stay on the beach - but only if he stayed in view of the watch on the boat. 

By ‘sad’, I am guessing that they are referring to those who are missing and injured. There is a chance they are those who were standing near the rim.

There’s a lack of concrete info coming through at present, but here’s hoping everyone survives the eruption. 

Edited by oskarNZ
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, CupcakeSusie said:

Our news is reporting that passengers from Ovation were on the island. I hope everyone is safe. 

And now reporting that the Ovation will now stay the night although they were scheduled to leave about 20min ago at 6pm 

11 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Was it a ship excursion to White Island? 

I'm guessing so - the ship has delayed departure overnight - Foreign Affairs is involved. One tour had just left the island - because there are pics taken by a crew member on that boat. There were 50 in the party and that's a bit small for the normal tours - which take 100. 

One confirmed dead - still some missing - go to assume the worst on those now - they  just aren't risking rescuers 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

I'm guessing so - the ship has delayed departure overnight - Foreign Affairs is involved. One tour had just left the island - because there are pics taken by a crew member on that boat. There were 50 in the party and that's a bit small for the normal tours - which take 100. 

One confirmed dead - still some missing - go to assume the worst on those now - they  just aren't risking rescuers 

I would hope even if not a ship's excursion if passengers are injured or missing, the Ovation would stay in Tauranga until tomorrow or even later tonight until they have more information.

Leigh

• Like 2

Ovation of the Seas: Guests and one crew member on island at time of eruption

The captain of the Ovation of the Seas has made an announcement to passengers that a group of guests and one crew member were on the island at the time of the eruption.

He told passengers on-board that they're waiting on information from the government to see what's happened, a passenger said.

The cruise ship will not leave the port until the missing passengers return.

The passenger who relayed the announcement said people were silent after the message and a helpline has been opened up on the ship for those who are missing loved ones.

Does anyone know from where and when the ship left Australia?  A guy from work told me he was going on an RCCL cruise to NZ during his holidays.  His last work day was Friday.  I'm curious if this is his ship.

So incredibly sad. My heart goes out to the loved ones of those who were on the island, and those onboard ship who are waiting for news of friends and family. Just such an awful, awful thing to happen. On top of the terrible fires that just seem to go on and on down the Eastern seaboard, the tears will never end. And just before Christmas as well. So sad.

• Like 1