refreshment->deluxe if medically cleared

cured

We are sailing next summer on Oasis.  A couple of weeks ago, one of our group had a medical issue and was put on medication where they are not allowed to drink at all.  We took advantage of that oh so good Black Friday sale and purchased 3 deluxe and 1 refreshment package.  There is a fair chance our member will be off the meds by the cruise and would definitely prefer the deluxe package.

RCCL customer service was not able to answer if we would be able to upgrade the refreshment to a deluxe if they are cleared by their doc, so going to the experts.  The representative "thought" we would need to cancel all 4 drink packages (3 deluxe, 1 refreshment) and rebook 4 deluxe at the current rate.  They were pretty sure we could not just cancel the refreshment package and purchase a deluxe at the going rate. This would be a bummer because we would lose that huge $4.00/person discount on those 3 deluxe packages. 

Anybody who was on a medical exemption from the "everyone needs to purchase the deluxe package" rule able to upgrade if they are cleared? Or do you really have to cancel all 4 and rebook at current price?

I am asking just in case  RCCL has an actual sale on the Deluxe package between now and cruise time and we still don't know what the drinking status for our refreshment person (who is craving a Lava drink on the beach.)  If we have to rebook all 4, and the sale is relatively decent, it might be better to just anticipate they will be off the meds and rebook all 4 at the sale price, risking that it might be a colossal waste of money if they were still on the meds.

This is all assuming that RCCL would not be happy if someone bought a few drinks while on the exempted refreshment package.  Otherwise, what would keep a light drinker in a cabin from claiming a medical exemption and then just supplementing with a few drinks?

Do this on board and you will be fine.  Do not try to upgrade beforehand. 

If the oackages ages were purchased at one time on the same card then yes you would have to cancel all to repurchase them. If the price dropped then you would be fine. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

10 hours ago, cured said:

We are sailing next summer on Oasis.  A couple of weeks ago, one of our group had a medical issue and was put on medication where they are not allowed to drink at all.  We took advantage of that oh so good Black Friday sale and purchased 3 deluxe and 1 refreshment package.  There is a fair chance our member will be off the meds by the cruise and would definitely prefer the deluxe package.

RCCL customer service was not able to answer if we would be able to upgrade the refreshment to a deluxe if they are cleared by their doc, so going to the experts.  The representative "thought" we would need to cancel all 4 drink packages (3 deluxe, 1 refreshment) and rebook 4 deluxe at the current rate.  They were pretty sure we could not just cancel the refreshment package and purchase a deluxe at the going rate. This would be a bummer because we would lose that huge $4.00/person discount on those 3 deluxe packages. 

Anybody who was on a medical exemption from the "everyone needs to purchase the deluxe package" rule able to upgrade if they are cleared? Or do you really have to cancel all 4 and rebook at current price?

I am asking just in case  RCCL has an actual sale on the Deluxe package between now and cruise time and we still don't know what the drinking status for our refreshment person (who is craving a Lava drink on the beach.)  If we have to rebook all 4, and the sale is relatively decent, it might be better to just anticipate they will be off the meds and rebook all 4 at the sale price, risking that it might be a colossal waste of money if they were still on the meds.

This is all assuming that RCCL would not be happy if someone bought a few drinks while on the exempted refreshment package.  Otherwise, what would keep a light drinker in a cabin from claiming a medical exemption and then just supplementing with a few drinks?

I can’t answer your direct question but I can tell you from experience that that I purchased one deluxe and one refreshment because I am an occasional drinker. The price spread at the time was large and it wouldn’t have paid for me to purchase the deluxe since I mostly drink sparkling water. I was able to purchase an occasional cocktail a la carte no questions asked. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I can’t answer your direct question but I can tell you from experience that that I purchased one deluxe and one refreshment because I am an occasional drinker. The price spread at the time was large and it wouldn’t have paid for me to purchase the deluxe since I mostly drink sparkling water. I was able to purchase an occasional cocktail a la carte no questions asked. 

Trying to remember. While ago think there was CC Member that wasnt able to buy themselves a drink A la Carte using card. This after they got approval before Cruise to not Purchase Deluxe Package as their spouse had. Maybe different now since Royal seems to grant most exceptions to the second package .

42 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Trying to remember. While ago think there was CC Member that wasnt able to buy themselves a drink A la Carte using card. This after they got approval before Cruise to not Purchase Deluxe Package as their spouse had. Maybe different now since Royal seems to grant most exceptions to the second package .

I'm not sure that they actually experienced that on board.  I think that is what they were told by a phone rep.....

Are you all four of you sharing a cabin?  If not, the big concern would be the person sharing the cabin with the current refreshment package person, assuming it is two people per cabin.  The other two people in the other cabin has no  worries.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I'm not sure that they actually experienced that on board.  I think that is what they were told by a phone rep.....

Yeah Possible, posting was when started, a fight to get and had to claim Pregnancy or Alcoholic...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

I believe you can just go to the cruise planner, and cancel the package for that individual. Then, just purchase whatever else they would like. I like my Miller Lite. But, my girlfriend is a recovering alcoholic of 35 years. We never have any issue getting an exemption for her.

Everything in the cruise planner, is tied to individuals. So, it should be easy.

Edited by FireEMT978

15 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

I believe you can just go to the cruise planner, and cancel the package for that individual. Then, just purchase whatever else they would like. I like my Miller Lite. But, my girlfriend is a recovering alcoholic of 35 years. We never have any issue getting an exemption for her.

Everything in the cruise planner, is tied to individuals. So, it should be easy.

If items are purchased at the same time using the same credit card then cancelling one will also cancel the others.  Happens to me everytime I cancel something to get a lower price.  Never have I seen the option to just cancel one persons purchase.  It’s been the same whether it was drink packages, dining or shore excursions. 

12 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

They didn't experience that first hand. It was hearsay or maybe a one off situation. If this was a regular issue there would have been a 200 page thread about it that would still be running along side of the Key thread.