Barcelona taxi/hotel

bronxboy683

We took a taxi on a Sunday morning to our hotel in the Gothic district not far from the port.  The driver dropped us off a block and a half away since the Gothic has mainly pedestrian walkways.  We were accosted by thieves who distracted us with "bird droppings" and stole a small bag in the ensuing confusion.

Not sure if our taxi driver tipped off the thieves or we just looked like easy marks, but a hotel transfer seems a lot safer.

We stayed in a little hotel right off La Rambla just a couple of blocks from the port and they didn’t have a shuttle. We had a hard time finding a hotel that had a shuttle service that wasn’t outrageously overpriced. We used a service called “Welcome Pickups” and the process was so easy and smooth. They were there waiting for us when we landed With a sign with our names on it and took us as close to the hotel as they could get because traffic is restricted in that area. We walked about a block and got into our hotel safe and sound. The service was a little more expensive than a regular taxi would’ve been but I felt it wasnt too much more expensive and to be able to book it in advance felt like a good trade off. Still cost less than the hotels that had a shuttle. They send you a picture and the name of your Driver as well. 

We scheduled them to also pick us up From the hotel a few days later to take us to the port and that was a fair price as well. At the port there were lots of taxis available so we just hopped in a regular one back to the airport once off the ship.  

• Like 1

Any hotel that’s going to offer a shuttle from the airport is going to be close to the airport, which is not where you want to stay if you are in a gorgeous city such as Barcelona. I would find a hotel that is near attractions that you want to visit and then just take an Uber there. We stayed within walking distance of the La Familia Sagrada. A very nice area with lots of restaurants with outdoor seating and lots of shops. The hotel was very nice and affordable (Hotel Medicis).

We recently stayed at the Jazz Hotel. Got a taxi right at airport. Line moved very quickly.  Cost us roughly  35 euros because we had extra bags and there is a surcharge.  Dropped us off right in front of the hotel which made me very comfortable.  When we left for cruise, hotel porter flagged down a cab for us. Right out6door. Felt very safe

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, Mrs f. said:

We recently stayed at the Jazz Hotel. Got a taxi right at airport. Line moved very quickly.  Cost us roughly  35 euros because we had extra bags and there is a surcharge.  Dropped us off right in front of the hotel which made me very comfortable.  When we left for cruise, hotel porter flagged down a cab for us. Right out6door. Felt very safe

Agree completely....We did the same last May for our pre-cruise in Barcelona at the Jazz hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 5:34 PM, Mrs f. said:

We are staying at Hotel Jazz prior to the TA this November.  How much was the cab to the port?  I'm working on my trip budget now and would like to have the money set aside for the ride so I'm not fumbling around for it once we get let off at the port.

Also, what constituted "extra bags"?  We are bringing 4 suitcases (2 large 2 medium), our backpacks and 2 rolling carryons.  I'm sure that will constitute extra bags ;o)

Trying to remember......we had 2 suitcases  29 inch/1 rollerblade suitcase/2 backpacks.  Hubby says  roughly 35 euros.  We walked out of terminal to taxi ramp. Long line but moved extremely fast.  Like maybe 5 min. Worker at head of line assesses what size cab you need. Comes right over.  Regarding Jazz...quite pleased. Only beware of....i have knee issues..the tub is very deep with no grab bar...they do have "handicapped ".  If we go again  I would call and discuss with them.  It's in a great location. Lovely staff. If you get in real early  they will hold your luggage. Thryceven took delivery of wine we had purchased for our cruise.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 4:02 AM, Teeara said:

We are staying at Hotel Jazz prior to the TA this November.  How much was the cab to the port?  I'm working on my trip budget now and would like to have the money set aside for the ride so I'm not fumbling around for it once we get let off at the port.

Also, what constituted "extra bags"?  We are bringing 4 suitcases (2 large 2 medium), our backpacks and 2 rolling carryons.  I'm sure that will constitute extra bags ;o)

I'm assuming there are 4 people travelling based on all the luggage......

There is an additional fee if there are more than 4 of you sharing  a cab. 

The additional fee for excess luggage seems to have been dropped.

(When we're travelling we always ask the driver for an approx cost before we get in )

30E is what people were reporting for the airport to Pl Catalunya area hotels.  Fees in this doc:

https://docs.amb.cat/alfresco/api/-default-/public/alfresco/versions/1/nodes/b0775b7a-3228-4567-b2e2-27d0e39c55c2/content/Tarifes 2020_14.12.2019.pdf?attachment=false&mimeType=application/pdf&sizeInBytes=79828

On 2/27/2020 at 1:00 PM, mapleleaves said:

I'm assuming there are 4 people travelling based on all the luggage......

There is an additional fee if there are more than 4 of you sharing  a cab. 

The additional fee for excess luggage seems to have been dropped.

(When we're travelling we always ask the driver for an approx cost before we get in )

30E is what people were reporting for the airport to Pl Catalunya area hotels.  Fees in this doc:

https://docs.amb.cat/alfresco/api/-default-/public/alfresco/versions/1/nodes/b0775b7a-3228-4567-b2e2-27d0e39c55c2/content/Tarifes 2020_14.12.2019.pdf?attachment=false&mimeType=application/pdf&sizeInBytes=79828

Nope, only 2 of us.  We will be gone for 3 weeks, hence the additional luggage (1 lg 1 med for each of us).  And no, we are not going to leave any of it at home.  We're flying business class so no additional charges for checking 2 bags each.

Thanks for the chart.  I had one from 2018, so the updated one for 2020 is good.

• 1 month later...

What was your cab fare for your trip from the Hotel Jazz to the ship?  There are four of us, but we are only taking carryons. Last time we took the port shuttle, which was 1 euro, but I hear it is more now. Does anyone know if they charge kids (both 😎 for the port shuttle?

From another Bronx Boy.  We too have stayed at Hotel Jazz and found it very nice.  In Barcelona the location is more important than the transportation.  Pick where you want to stay and use a taxi.  

As a single, older woman, I've stayed in Barcelona more than a few times, no problem using taxis.  I'm going April 2021 will get a taxi.  I'm trying Hotel Rec for a change, no more Rambla, usually stay there.  I've stayed at Hotel Continental (quirky, I like it) and Hotel Lloret, both reasonable, old and fine if you aren't fussy.

I've used Viator for a transfer from airports, Barcelona, Buenos Aires but by the time they organized groups by area for the vans, it was quite a wait.  I can travel 30+ day cruise, with a 26" suitcase, small rolling carry on looks like a bowling bag, no purse, one bag each hand, nothing over my shoulders. I don't need a van for luggage, but first visit to a city (Buenos Aires) I wanted to be with other people.

I have used Viator for walking tours many times, and have had good luck with them.  Barcelona is easy, use common sense and some street smarts, you will have no problems.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 1:11 PM, susancruzs said:

As a single, older woman, I've stayed in Barcelona more than a few times, no problem using taxis.  I'm going April 2021 will get a taxi.  I'm trying Hotel Rec for a change, no more Rambla, usually stay there.  I've stayed at Hotel Continental (quirky, I like it) and Hotel Lloret, both reasonable, old and fine if you aren't fussy.

I've used Viator for a transfer from airports, Barcelona, Buenos Aires but by the time they organized groups by area for the vans, it was quite a wait.  I can travel 30+ day cruise, with a 26" suitcase, small rolling carry on looks like a bowling bag, no purse, one bag each hand, nothing over my shoulders. I don't need a van for luggage, but first visit to a city (Buenos Aires) I wanted to be with other people.

I have used Viator for walking tours many times, and have had good luck with them.  Barcelona is easy, use common sense and some street smarts, you will have no problems.  

We tried Hotel REC last year. It is a good choice and we saw parts of the city we had not visited before.

The hotel is great, the events in the lounge (beer tasting etc) were fun.