Cruise Directors

MsMermaid

On 12/13/2019 at 9:36 PM, Emperor Norton said:

Currently on Sojourn...

CD Emma Abel (in red) and ACD Jessica Price (I think?) in the flowers.

DSC01735-XL.jpg

Handre will be on Sojourn for the World Cruise and I heard that Sophie will be brought on for at least part of it.

I never paid much attention to CD's, until we took a pacific cruise where Sophie was CD.  She was so charming, so engaging, that it was a pleasure to be with her.   I think the cruise we were on with her was her last.  She was special.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Manhattan said:

I never paid much attention to CD's, until we took a pacific cruise where Sophie was CD.  She was so charming, so engaging, that it was a pleasure to be with her.   I think the cruise we were on with her was her last.  She was special.

I never realized how important Cruise Directors can be for the mood of a cruise until I met Handre and then Ross Roberts.  Both of these men added a lot to our experience.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I never realized how important Cruise Directors can be for the mood of a cruise until I met Handre and then Ross Roberts.  Both of these men added a lot to our experience.  

Agree- They have certainly been an important Seabourn feature for us, although since we're trivia buffs perhaps we were more aware of them.

On larger ships like Cunard and Crystal I'm sure they worked hard coordinating any number of things but not much personal interaction, would not recall their names at all.

On Seabourn David (RIP), Jan, Sophie, Heather, Ross, Handré on the other hand have each added something to the experience and I've always been impressed by their humor, kindness, tact, discretion and professionalism under many circumstances and each with a very distinct personality. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Manhattan said:

5 hours ago, Mr. Manhattan said:

I agree Sophie would be one of the top CDs we have meet. It might have been cause we had diner with Sophie the first night on our Singapore to Singapore cruise so we kinda knew her for the rest of the cruise. Sophie is fun and she can sing as well.

It is nice to hear that Sophie is popular, we first met her years ago when she was an ACD. We got on really well as we are both Mancunians and I think we did 3 trips with her so we got to know her quite well. I then heard that she had been made a CD but never sailed with her. I was told that she had "retired" in March this year which was a shame, however a few months later Seabourn asked her if she would help out and fill in for a 6 week stint, unbelieveable we had booked the Dover to Reykjavic trip she was on and as we boarded there she was. It was lovely to see her as she is a genuine girl. We have never sailed with Handre but I would like to mention another really genuine guy who was a CD with Seabourn, John Howell, sadly he has passed away but sailing with him we really felt he tried so hard to please guests.

I personally don't think the CD makes or breaks a cruise, at least not for us.  Some are more personable than others and we became friends w/ a couple over the years that we kept in touch with after our cruises, while some were invisible unless they had some obligation, e.g., introduce a show, make announcements, be at an event etc.  (Our most recent cruise for 34 days was a good example, I had a single 30 second conversation w/ the CD - he never was walking around getting to know people, seemed the only pax he associated with were trivia people, which we are not).  I get it that if you had a good interaction w/ the CD on your cruise it improves the overall experience and memory when you are back home.  The fundamental job of the CD - as explained to my by a Seabourn CD years ago - is to schedule the entertainment, run trivia, and make announcements.  Some make an effort to walk around and get to know the pax both at scheduled functions, like at sail away, dance party, go to the bars pre / post dinner and socialize, etc.  Some make more of an effort, some make none or very little effort on the socialization part. 

That said, Jan who runs a great Antarctica schedule and I'd be glad to sail with anytime, was an example of someone who we never got to know simply because we never saw her outside of her duties, she ran a tight ship for the landings and zodiac tours, but never saw her at any of the bars to get to really know her.  (We actually had sailed with her many years ago but she had an accident before the ship left port and could not fulfill her duties so Sophie and Heather took over and we never saw Jan).

Opinions on CD's are, like food, subjective and based on personal experience.  That said our personal favorites would be (and unfortunately the best are no longer on Seabourn) in order: David E. (NO QUESTION HE IS #1 IN OUR BOOK, for many reasons going back to our first cruise on the Legend); Heather Clancy (who took some time to warm up to but once she did was a lot of fun to be around); Nick Hale - who got a bad deal based on innuendo that was not true; Handre - it took 3 cruises to really get to know him but we really connected the last time;  Jan;  and Ross Roberts.

I know a lot of people like Sophie, and we have sailed with her 3 times, but honestly found her to be much more genuine when she was the ACD than the CD, but just our take.  

13 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Opinions on CD's are, like food, subjective and based on personal experience.  That said our personal favorites would be (and unfortunately the best are no longer on Seabourn) in order: David E. (NO QUESTION HE IS #1 IN OUR BOOK, for many reasons going back to our first cruise on the Legend); Heather Clancy (who took some time to warm up to but once she did was a lot of fun to be around); Nick Hale - who got a bad deal based on innuendo that was not true; Handre - it took 3 cruises to really get to know him but we really connected the last time;  Jan;  and Ross Roberts.

I also really like Heather.  Unfortunately on Viking now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 1:37 AM, fudgbug said:

Currently on Ovation.  Verity is CD, Olivia ACD.

Cruised from Athens to Dubai (Nov. 13 to Dec. 2). loved the cruise.   Verity and Olivia made the experience very special.

Thanks you ladies

On 1/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, cruising46 said:

Cruised from Athens to Dubai (Nov. 13 to Dec. 2). loved the cruise.   Verity and Olivia made the experience very special.

Thanks you ladies

We joined the ship in Dubai and disembarking in Hong Kong.  I have to agree that Verity and Olivia made the experience very special.