Trip Insurance question

TravelE

I always buy trip insurance for our cruises to cover any medical expenses or emergency transport to a US hospital. However, I am in need of trip insurance that covers last minute travel expenses if I need to travel back home in case of the hospitalization or death of a parent. In reading the explanation of benefits, it seems I can be reimbursed for any non-reimbursable expenses if I need to cancel my trip due to the death or sickness of a family member. It also covers any non-reimbursable expenses if the trip is interrupted. But I am not seeing where travel insurance provides reimbursement for travel expenses to fly back home for a family member. Let's assume the cruise line will not be paying for this or I need it for the land based portion of my trip.

Does any trip insurance cover this? 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, TravelE said:

I always buy trip insurance for our cruises to cover any medical expenses or emergency transport to a US hospital. However, I am in need of trip insurance that covers last minute travel expenses if I need to travel back home in case of the hospitalization or death of a parent. In reading the explanation of benefits, it seems I can be reimbursed for any non-reimbursable expenses if I need to cancel my trip due to the death or sickness of a family member. It also covers any non-reimbursable expenses if the trip is interrupted. But I am not seeing where travel insurance provides reimbursement for travel expenses to fly back home for a family member. Let's assume the cruise line will not be paying for this or I need it for the land based portion of my trip.

Does any trip insurance cover this? 

Thank you.

go to www.insuremytrip.com, everything is clearly explained. You want emergency medical evac for no less than 100K. We usually get 250K, not much more

Emergency medical evacuation doesn’t have anything to do with non-traveling family members. It covers the cost for transportation to an appropriate facility for treatment of an emergency suffered by the policyholder during the trip.

As klfrodo says, the situation that the OP asked about comes under trip interruption. I’m pretty sure illness of a parent would be included in the definitions of most policies, even cruise line insurance.  The thing to consider is whether the pre-existing condition clause applies to a non-travelling family member.

To be sure you are getting exactly what you need, call a travel insurance professional and explain your specific needs.

• 1 month later...