Park West Galleries

LovingplanB

Beware of Park West Galleries!  They see to be ubiquitous on all cruise ships and offer various priced art works.  We bought a piece of art that we were assured was an original.  When we received it, it was not an original but unique.  It was signed by the artist and produced by his studio.  We contacted Park West about this misrepresentation and for instructions to send it back.  Surprise!  They no longer give you a full, cash refund.  Now, as of October 1, 2019, you receive 85% cash and a 15% credit towards a future purchase.  Believe me, we won’t be attending any future Park West auctions.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jalves said:

There have been many expose's about that company.  A quick google will turn up lots of horror stories.  We just laugh when we get the invite to go to their event.

The number of trees destroyed to create Park West invitations could probably re-forest the Amazon.

• Like 4

It is what it is.   But it’s what people are willing to pay.  I been to the “auctions”. Not really since they are already a set price nice to look at but wouldn’t buy any.  I do have some of the artists they have but have gone eBay route or found them in reg auctions houses.  

The art auctions are total rip off like every other scam that sells stuff as if it is worth more than what you paid and make you think it will increase in value.

They are able to sell by appealing to people’s greed.   The purchasers are let to believe that they are getting a bargain.     

Only buy if you like it and plan on a lot of additional fees, and etc over and above you bid price.

Good luck!

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 hours ago, reallyhooked said:

I won a piece a few years ago unframed.. Had to pay for shipping.  It's still in the tube. 

How about the commission (or auction fee), restocking fee, appraisal fee, and as you noted shipping fee, plus if you live in Mi as we do pay the sales tax,  and that may be something that everyone might have to pay thanks to the big boom in mail order. 

I bid on a blind auction.   They showed the back and made a comment that it was a polar bear in a snow storm.   The bid went to $45 and then increased to $50 at that point everyone dropped their paddles.  The auctioneer said that if anyone wanted it for $50 to raise their paddles.   I raised mine taking a gamble.   There were about 13 of us.   The picture was exposed and it was hideous.   

Since they had my number I went up to claims my prize.   After all the fees the price increased to $185.   I told them that I don’t need the appraisal fee as I didn’t need it.  Not a opinion had to pay $45 appraisal for a “$50” POS.   

ridiculous shipping fee.   I told them that I live 10 miles from their office in Mi.  Not a option.

Restocking fee, serious?

Then since I live in Mi add the sales tax.

the only thing missing was the gratuity that was 18% at the time.  

they gave me a form to fill out will all of my info.   I took the form and snuck out.   avoid the auctions ever since and thankfully wasn’t charged for that POS as they really didn’t have any info on me.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruise47 said:

I feel, they are allowed on cruise ships because they are leasing space from the various cruise lines. Park West Galleries is revenue for the various cruises lines.

I wish they would repurpose that space to something else that could still make them money, but not be such a predatory experience for their customers.

Maybe a microbrewery, or an escape room, or some other paid experience. 

Yes, I know that some mega ships have these things plus PW. 

DH asked them who set the “appraised value” for the art..... answer “We do”.  
We have never purchased anything from PW, but do have a very wide ranging art collection.  Our motto is “ buy what you love, not something that is said to be worth more than your paying”.

• Like 1

I hate all of the paper inserts, invitations and propaganda they generate.  But they seem to draw a crowd and their auctions seem to be attended.  Maybe some want the free crappy champagne.  Who knows?  Not for me anyway.  There are better uses for the space they exist in on ships.  But I'm sure there are fans out there too.

• Like 1

I agree that the cruise companies should be the ones on the hook for this.  Park West is primarily a cruise ship experience and anyone new to cruising doesn't really have the full story on their shady history & current business practices unless they know in advance to research it.  Thankfully the internet has made them change some of their past practices, but the value they bring to the overall process is questionable, at best.

21 hours ago, LovingplanB said:

Beware of Park West Galleries!  They see to be ubiquitous on all cruise ships and offer various priced art works.  We bought a piece of art that we were assured was an original.  When we received it, it was not an original but unique.  It was signed by the artist and produced by his studio.  We contacted Park West about this misrepresentation and for instructions to send it back.  Surprise!  They no longer give you a full, cash refund.  Now, as of October 1, 2019, you receive 85% cash and a 15% credit towards a future purchase.  Believe me, we won’t be attending any future Park West auctions.

I recall seeing a report on Park West indicating that they were using high quality prints and somebody at their shop made a few paint strokes on the prints.  They charge obscene amounts for their prints-  I did however notice that on one of our cruises, they were selling authentic Fazzino's.  We collect them- but much cheaper at home from galleries.

The ship makes a fortune off of  these prints- so they continue to offer as people pay for them.  I do not get it-

Brian Braun's "High Seas Drifter" (part 4 of his Cruise Confidential series) is a fascinating look at the life of a cruise ship art "auctioneer." The sleazy company he worked for has been replaced, but the tactics used seem very similar to what you all have described for Park West. Especially how they make much of their money on shipping "free" art.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:
1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

All I can add is "Buyer beware"

Speaking from personal experience. 

Yes on my first HAL cruise to the Panama Canal I didn't know better and after drinking too much of their free cheap Champagne I spent more than I should have on some pretty "artwork" that was not worth what they represented. After I got off the cruise I tried to cancel my order but they shipped the art to me while on the cruise and wouldn't take any back. I even tried to cancel my CC payment but I got nowhere with the CC company either. I still have their worthless crap art rolled up in a tube somewhere in my basement. These Park West People are nothing but flim flam artists who should be selling timeshares somewhere. On subsequent cruises when I pass the phony auctioneers on the ship I like to heckle them and the suckers in their audience.

Goes to prove the cruise companies have no shame on the frauds they allow on their ships. On one of our HAL cruises the Park West people used the Crows Nest Bar and Lounge for their auctions and limited passengers from using the place during daytime hours. On sea days that is where I enjoy my time.