Anybody wear boots?

Cruisegirl6

7 hours ago, mom says said:

No gentleman wears a hat with evening wear when inside. And without the hat, the boots are irrelevant.

Have you been on a cruise out of Galveston, Texas? 

OP: sorry about the bashing and snakiness you are getting. 

Not all "fashion" boots are heavy leather.  There are some very nice booties that are "ventilated" and I see women wearing them all summer long (for example - the Jambu Evelyn Encore).  I also bought a pair of tall boots from Just Fab that have a laser-cut pattern all the way up the back of the boots so they are rather comfy in the summer.   

And, I DID take my one pair of Steve Madden moto-style boots with me when I went to Rome and Florence in the summer.  I didn't pass out from being too hot 😉  I'm another one with an issue that forbids me from wearing any heel higher than about an inch.  And, I can't get by with the flimsy ballet flats or those "blingy" sandals that I see women wearing.  I wear the footwear that I need to wear and damn the fashion police.  

Wear what you want.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I don't wear boots for warm weather. I will not be packing them for my upcoming cruise. Hell, I don't like wearing socks at home when it *is* winter. You do you, I'll do me - and I'm sure we'll all be happier for it 😉 

[it was 24F when I left home today, I am not wearing socks]

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 6:20 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Langley cruisers- I never thought about the weight but I should wear them due to medical issue, I have more support in the leg.

🙂

<my snip above>

If it's for a medical reason, wear what you need to wear...   you probably won't see anyone else wearing them, but that really doesn't matter.   Enjoy your cruise & take care of your legs.  

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

😉damn the fashion police.  

Wear what you want.  

You make valid points about 'fashion booties" and such, but the OP's original question was asking if anyone wears boots on a Carib cruise, and her justification for asking was that it's winter time.  That would seem to indicate that she isn't talking about fashion booties, but rather, actual winter boots.  And she can certainly wear them if she wants, but she asked if others do, and with the rare exception of someone like yourself with a medical reason, the answer was no, people don't generally wear boots on Carib cruises, especially not winter boots since they won't get winter weather there.

• Thanks 1

I have seen those fuzzy Ugg boots worn in summer, during hot weather, and with shorts! Certainly These are not being worn for support (as I don’t think they give any leg support) but worn because the wearer considers them fashionable. 

I have a late December cruise upcoming and am considering taking my ankle high, 3” heel booties (closed toe) but what’s holding me back is the space they consume vs. some other pair of dressy shoes.

And Tapi is correct about cruise out of Galveston: you will see gentlemen sporting western-style formal wear!!

Edited by gotta cruise again

I will board my cruise next week in NYC wearing boots.  I probably will slide them under the bed when I go to sleep that 1st night & not take them out again until it's time to disembark back in NYC next January.  I guarantee I won't be the only one boarding in boots.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Uah- UGG boots- ah what elegant footwear- they make the nicest women foot look ugly! The fashion police should arrest who ever came up with those!

I've said they're called UGG for a reason.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trish1c said:

I will board my cruise next week in NYC wearing boots.  I probably will slide them under the bed when I go to sleep that 1st night & not take them out again until it's time to disembark back in NYC next January.  I guarantee I won't be the only one boarding in boots.  

I do almost no walking when heading to an airport so I'm not concerned with the shoes. Do you?

Shearling boots - like uggs - were apparently developed for surfers, to keep them warm when they came out of the water. 

I can't explain the spread the mainstream "wear in public" wear for that original style. Of course, these days, they make MANY types of shoes and boots.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I do almost no walking when heading to an airport so I'm not concerned with the shoes. Do you?

All  I do is walk when traveling, especially to & from airports.  Everything is so spread out.   We also will be driving to the port.. . the walk from the parking deck to the terminal is almost 2 blocks.  

23 minutes ago, trish1c said:

All  I do is walk when traveling, especially to & from airports.  Everything is so spread out.   We also will be driving to the port.. . the walk from the parking deck to the terminal is almost 2 blocks.  

Thanks for explaining. We take Uber/taxis. The car stays at home.

We regularly sail from Baltimore in the winter.  If it is cold and snowy, I wear boots to board.  It's a short distance from parking lot to terminal, but it is still outdoors.  That day, the outer decks are most likely snowy, too.

When I change for dinner, the boots go under the bed.  They will be worn again when we disembark and drive home. Because I wore them on, they didn't take up any luggage space/weight.

BTW, we also wear coats and gloves to board; they likewise go under the bed when no longer needed.

• Like 1

Adding to my previous comment and because OP came back and elaborated, note that she didn't initially say that she wanted to wear boots for support due to a medical issue. Had she said that at first, I doubt there would have been as many negative comments. But having said that, OP has 92 cruises under her belt and has probably seen it all. 🤭 She knows what women wear on ships.

She should wear what she needs to wear to be comfortable for her foot issue(s). 

On 12/13/2019 at 4:23 AM, waterbug123 said:

You make valid points about 'fashion booties" and such, but the OP's original question was asking if anyone wears boots on a Carib cruise, and her justification for asking was that it's winter time.  That would seem to indicate that she isn't talking about fashion booties, but rather, actual winter boots.  And she can certainly wear them if she wants, but she asked if others do, and with the rare exception of someone like yourself with a medical reason, the answer was no, people don't generally wear boots on Carib cruises, especially not winter boots since they won't get winter weather there.

I have boots that I wear in the Winter and I have boots that I wear because it is Winter.  "in" the Winter means I wear my cheap tall boots that I get off of Just Fab with my leggings, my jeans, my work skirts.  "Because" the Winter means I haul out one of my pairs of Sorel boots when I'm shoveling snow or want a tad of warmth for my feet.  

Does that make sense?   I wear my "in" boots some times year 'round, depending on the situation.  I wear my "because" boots only when there is snow on the ground.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I have boots that I wear in the Winter and I have boots that I wear because it is Winter.  "in" the Winter means I wear my cheap tall boots that I get off of Just Fab with my leggings, my jeans, my work skirts.  "Because" the Winter means I haul out one of my pairs of Sorel boots when I'm shoveling snow or want a tad of warmth for my feet.  

Does that make sense?   I wear my "in" boots some times year 'round, depending on the situation.  I wear my "because" boots only when there is snow on the ground.  

It does, but I still don't recall ever seeing anyone wear "in" winter boots, i.e. fashionable boots worn in winter but not actual snow boots, on a cruise.  And I live in the south  and it's the same here- I can't recall the last time I saw someone wearing fashionable boots of any kind during our long, hot summers.  If they work for you, that's great, and the as stated before, the OP can certainly wear what she likes.  But if she wears boots of any kind on a Carib cruise, she will likely stand out as a rare exception.

We're in Buenos Aires for a few days and were at a mall this AM. There was a young man ahead of us on an escalator in nice looking Bermuda short and slip-on ankle boots. I  of course didn't tell him but I thought he looked ridiculous. Of course I'm from the South originally where you didn't even wear white after Labor Day 🙂

I have seen what I would call fashion booties--really more like sandals than boots-- on cruises.  If you need to wear boots for support, these probably wouldn't help.  

I personally don't wear boots to or on a cruise mostly because of packing issues.  I could have used them last year on a Transatlantic in April with cool weather on the sea and in ports in Europe and would not have looked out of place in Europe.

If you really need them for support, of course go ahead.  I'd look for some that don't look too wintery though.

And to say the Caribbean has 'winter' weather is just not true except for very rare exceptions due to strange weather.  It is almost always 80 degrees plus--sometimes much hotter--even in January.  About the coolest I have experienced there in dozens of Caribbean cruises is 70--except the one time we sailed out of Galveston, where the first and last days were very cool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

I am asking if anybody did wear boots this time of year or whether they saw anybody on a ship wear them?  I don't see why I should get the rolling eyes, its a perfect legit question!  You wouldn't question somebody wearing closed sneakers during hot months instead of sandals/flip flops???

People in the states wear boot(ie)s year round. If that's what you want to wear on the ship, go for it.