Yellow Fever

Dorset Cruiser

Sailing on Coral Princess From Buenos Aires via Uruguay, Brazil, St Kitts, Martinique and debarking in Fort Lauderdale.  I understand that if we travel from Brazil into St Kitts and Martinique we need to show proof of vaccination or exemption at embarkation in Buenos Aires.    If we do not have that proof will we be denied boarding or just be prevented from visiting those islands?

Slightly different situation but when a visa was required to visit ports in Brazil, passengers who did not have one were denied boarding in Buenos Aires on my cruise. Simply stating they would remain onboard was not an option.

If a yellow fever is mandatory, I would get one. Your doctor can give an exemption if you are over 60 years I believe,  but not all countries accept an exemption. They are now good for life so may prove useful in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on this same cruise. Could I ask where you found the information that St. Kitts and Martinique need proof of YF vaccination? We (ages 67 and 70) have exemptions from our physicians and of course plan to take those. Do we need to consult with the St Kitts and Martinique embassies to see if those exemption certificates are sufficient? We sail from Santiago, but since the ship boards new passengers in Buenos Aires, I wonder if we must disembark and re-embark? If so, I certainly want those exemption certificates to be accepted.

Thankful for anyone's help with these questions,

Debbie

16 hours ago, Fear-the-turtle said:

We are sailing on this same cruise. Could I ask where you found the information that St. Kitts and Martinique need proof of YF vaccination? We (ages 67 and 70) have exemptions from our physicians and of course plan to take those. Do we need to consult with the St Kitts and Martinique embassies to see if those exemption certificates are sufficient? We sail from Santiago, but since the ship boards new passengers in Buenos Aires, I wonder if we must disembark and re-embark? If so, I certainly want those exemption certificates to be accepted.

Thankful for anyone's help with these questions,

Debbie

Check here.   https://www.who.int/ith/ITH_country_list.pdf

On our recent Costa cruise, new passengers boarded at almost every port, no requirements for passengers who had already boarded earlier. Here in Uruguay, yellow fever exemptions are only valid for one trip - each time you go on another trip, you have to go and get a new exemption, so we found it easier to just get the vaccine.

• 3 weeks later...

Debbie, we are on the same 32 day cruise. I know you are terribly worried about the yellow fever vaccine. We are traveling with a group ages 71-79. All of us had the shot in early December and no one had any reaction. 

10 minutes ago, pupydog said:

Debbie, we are on the same 32 day cruise. I know you are terribly worried about the yellow fever vaccine. We are traveling with a group ages 71-79. All of us had the shot in early December and no one had any reaction. 

Thanks for sharing your experience; I'm so glad none in your group reacted badly. We have decided to stick with the waiver, but we did get them through a travel clinic (instead of personal physician), so we have the yellow vaccination card with the exemption signed + letter from the travel physician explaining why. For our day at Iguazu Falls, I have the recommended spray for our (long-sleeved, long pants) clothing as well as Deet wipes for exposed skin. I feel very comfortable with this decision and these precautions. Looking forward to meeting you on the cruise.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:05 AM, Dorset Cruiser said:

Sailing on Coral Princess From Buenos Aires via Uruguay, Brazil, St Kitts, Martinique and debarking in Fort Lauderdale.  I understand that if we travel from Brazil into St Kitts and Martinique we need to show proof of vaccination or exemption at embarkation in Buenos Aires.    If we do not have that proof will we be denied boarding or just be prevented from visiting those islands?

Would also like to hear a definitive answer as we are travelling on this cruise too. 

Have spoken to our surgery and looks like we will have to have the YF  innoculation. Problem is our surgery doesn't offer it. We have an consultation with a Superdrug Travel Centre next week where they will do the jabs for £60 each if we can't talk our way out of needing them !!

We arrive in Buenos Aires on Monday 17th. March and have hotel booked for three nights. 

23 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Would also like to hear a definitive answer as we are travelling on this cruise too. 

Have spoken to our surgery and looks like we will have to have the YF  innoculation. Problem is our surgery doesn't offer it. We have an consultation with a Superdrug Travel Centre next week where they will do the jabs for £60 each if we can't talk our way out of needing them !!

We arrive in Buenos Aires on Monday 17th. March and have hotel booked for three nights. 

We are going to a travel clinic on Friday to get advice.  Do not really want the innoculation at our age - 72 and 70, so really want the exemption certificate.  Will see what they advise.  No way I am travelling to Argentina and then getting turned away.  If they say we need the innoculation, so be it ☹️

22 minutes ago, Dorset Cruiser said:

.  No way I am travelling to Argentina and then getting turned away.  If they say we need the innoculation, so be it ☹️

We agree..it's a long way to go to be turned away. We did Chille to Buenos Aires  ..round the Horn in 2018 and didn't have any issue with innoculations being needed.

This cruise it seems as if it is Brazil being a YF area..but jabs not mandatory. The problem appears to be that St Kitts and Martinique want certificates or Exemption certificates if one has been to a YF area.

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

We agree..it's a long way to go to be turned away. We did Chille to Buenos Aires  ..round the Horn in 2018 and didn't have any issue with innoculations being needed.

This cruise it seems as if it is Brazil being a YF area..but jabs not mandatory. The problem appears to be that St Kitts and Martinique want certificates or Exemption certificates if one has been to a YF area.

Thats how I understand it.  Have asked question about St Kitts and Martinique several times and people respond that they never have injections for Caribbean (and neither have I) BUT they never travel to either of those two islands direct from a yellow fever area.  Hope I get it sorted on Friday.  Will post how I get on.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:00 PM, Reina del Mar said:

Thank you...will be interested to know what you are told...we go next Tuesday for our consultation and injections if we can't avoid them. 

Had our consultation - £10 fee Which is only charged if no further action taken.  He took full medical and itinerary details and said that as we were not going near the Amazon and because we are both in our early 70s, he recommended the exemption certificate.  He said after age 60-70+ your immune system is gradually reducing and it is a live vaccine.  So thats what we did.  £30 each and it just lasts for the length of the cruise.  He said the yellow fever mosquitos are active during the day so we should use a strong DEET repellant while in any yellow fever area.  hope this helps 🙂

Thank you for this information....hope they tell us the same thing. I am nearly 64 and husband is 68 so hopefully we'll fall into the same category !

Will buy some DEET repellent, Have also been told Avon's Skin So Soft lotion  (don't have an Avon lady so would have to order online) is also good for dispelling mosquitoes. Might try odourless garlic tablets just for safety too !

Thanks again for the information. Perhaps we shall meet onboard. We arrive in Buenos Aires on the Monday Morning prior to sailing and leave Fort Lauderdale three days after we disembark.

I don't know when you are sailing but if you can get a hold of Sawyer Permethrin insect spray for clothing, it is very good.  You spray your clothes and it lasts 6 weeks or 6 washings.  We have alkso bought Picaridan lotion which is odorless, for our skin.  Planning on Iguazu Falls end of Feb.

5 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I don't know when you are sailing but if you can get a hold of Sawyer Permethrin insect spray for clothing, it is very good.  You spray your clothes and it lasts 6 weeks or 6 washings.  We have alkso bought Picaridan lotion which is odorless, for our skin.  Planning on Iguazu Falls end of Feb.

Thanks for the info.  We are doing a full day tour in Rio  visiting the usual must see sites and a half day city tour in Salvador.  Think we really just need the innoculation/exemption certification for entry into Martinique and St Kitts.  I am sure a good DEET lotion/spray will be sufficient 🤞 will make sure we wear appropriate clothing.  We sail on 19th March.

We had our appointment at the Travel Health Clinic this morning and have been issued with Exemption Certificates due to medical reasons and age (60+). We needed to pay a small fee. We were recommended to wear long sleeved shirts and long trousers, as well as using DEET spray.

Think it's almost time to start thinking about packing, now !!

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

We had our appointment at the Travel Health Clinic this morning and have been issued with Exemption Certificates due to medical reasons and age (60+). We needed to pay a small fee. We were recommended to wear long sleeved shirts and long trousers, as well as using DEET spray.

Think it's almost time to start thinking about packing, now !!

Excellent.  Same advice as us.  Have ordered a couple of pairs of trekking trousers in the sale and will wear them in all our SA ports, along with a long sleeved cotton top.  We just have to update a couple of jabs and renew our passports on Monday and we are all set.  Have already set up our cruise wardrobes in a spare bedroom.  Only need to sort out what to do with currencies and we are all set 😀

Last time we did San Antonio to Buenos Aires, we just took Argentine Pesos and Chilean Pesos. together with US Dollars, We didn't take Uruguayan currency for Montevideo but ended up having to change some currency at a street exchange  cubicle.

We are starting to consider what we'll need this time. Apparently have to give 2-3 days advance notice to collect. We will order Argentinean Pesos, Brazilian Real, a small amount of Uruguayan Pesos and US Dollars...not sure how many we'll need yet.

We have ESTAs from last year and our passports are in date. We haven't really done much about our 'cruise wardrobe' yet although we keep toilet bags and medical kits at the ready. I am a serial over packer so will try to be sensible !!